German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to hear when ya'll may have neutered your male dog and why you selected that age.
We are very undecided on how to proceed. I have read some of the research that showed 6 months to be bad and the 1-3 years age better for some health consequences.

We do not go to the dog park anymore due to poorly behaved dogs and even more poorly behaved owners, but we do send Chewie to a doggy daycare where they do not allow bad behaviors (aggression, humping, etc) and are watched at all times with problematic dogs removed and not allowed to come back. We've found this to really work with socialization with other dogs for Chewie and also having a full day of play to burn off some energy. Unfortunately they require neutering by 7 months, which I am not pleased with.

·
Super Moderator
5,344 Posts
I neuter only when there is a medical reason to do so.

You and your dog would benefit from doing things together that are rewarding, that build your relationship, his obedience, and wear him out.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I would only neuter because of a medical issue such as cancer r an undescended testicle. I believe you loose far more in the way of a healthy dog than you gain if you neuter. The behavior changes are all over the place and can get worse. I've always said if the decision to not neuter kept me from doing something, then it wasn't for us anyway.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not neuter because of some daycare requirement but put his health first instead.
I definitely would not neuter that young
Just trying to figure out what the best age would be to do so and if there is any possibility to be exempt from their rule for awhile because of the health consequences of such a young neuter

·
Super Moderator
5,344 Posts
I definitely would not neuter that young
Just trying to figure out what the best age would be to do so and if there is any possibility to be exempt from their rule for awhile because of the health consequences of such a young neuter
I wouldn't surgically alter a dog for daycare

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would only neuter because of a medical issue such as cancer r an undescended testicle. I believe you loose far more in the way of a healthy dog than you gain if you neuter. The behavior changes are all over the place and can get worse. I've always said if the decision to not neuter kept me from doing something, then it wasn't for us anyway.
No medical issue, just concern about stereotypical behaviors of an un-neutered male, which I have heard many times may never happen in intact males. Also we signed a contract with our breeder that we would neuter the puppy "at an appropriate age" and a statement of so from a vet would be needed for registration papers?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No medical issue, just concern about stereotypical behaviors of an un-neutered male, which I have heard many times may never happen in intact males. Also we signed a contract with our breeder that we would neuter the puppy "at an appropriate age" and a statement of so from a vet would be needed for registration papers?
I find big issue that a breeder would tell you to neuter at an appropriate age and not tell you what an appropriate age is. I also don't know why papers would be tied to that. What is the registration status of your dog? Papers are almost entirely useless for a neutered dog. The few times it would matter don't apply to you. The age my breeder and vet both independently gave me was 16 months. Any sooner voids the health warranties for my puppy. The vet said that was the age to neuter a large breed dog based in growth and such.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My dog is 7 years old and not neutered. He won't be unless there is a medical reason to do so.

He doesn't wander. We are always with him outside and he is never leashed at home on our small farm. He's not aggressive. He doesn't mark inside or outside the house. He doesn't even lift his leg to pee.

He ignores our neighbor's pack of 8 large dogs that run the fence between our properties, barking every time we go out. I'm more likely to bark at those dogs than he is! They drive me nuts at times. He could not care less.

In short, he has no idea he is an intact male. He's just who he has always been, a great dog for our family.

To me, those stereotypical behaviors you are worried about are training issues, not hormone problems.

If I were you, I would ignore that contract and not neuter the dog unless it's absolutely necessary for his well being.

If you aren't breeding or competing with your dog, papers are meaningless. The health of my dog is much more important to me than a slip of paper.

·
Banned
2,016 Posts
Also we signed a contract with our breeder that we would neuter the puppy "at an appropriate age" and a statement of so from a vet would be needed for registration papers?
This shows how stupid the breeder is. Why would you neuter a dog in order to get registration papers from the breeder when the dog is no longer capable to breed?

·
Registered
Clyde 6 months
46 Posts
Dont mean to derail your thread landos mommy, but since we're talking about neutering.... I was planning on getting a female gsd when clyde turned 2. My plan was to get him neutered before bringing a female into the house. I do plan on getting the female spayed after her first heat. Would you just separate the 2 until she gets spayed or go ahead and neuter clyde?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This shows how stupid the breeder is. Why would you neuter a dog in order to get registration papers from the breeder when the dog is no longer capable to breed?
It’s an AKC limited registration
My dog is 7 years old and not neutered. He won't be unless there is a medical reason to do so.

He doesn't wander. We are always with him outside and he is never leashed at home on our small farm. He's not aggressive. He doesn't mark inside or outside the house. He doesn't even lift his leg to pee.

He ignores our neighbor's pack of 8 large dogs that run the fence between our properties, barking every time we go out. I'm more likely to bark at those dogs than he is! They drive me nuts at times. He could not care less.

In short, he has no idea he is an intact male. He's just who he has always been, a great dog for our family.

To me, those stereotypical behaviors you are worried about are training issues, not homone problems.

If I were you, I would ignore that contract and not neuter the dog unless it's absolutely necessary for his well being.

If you aren't breeding or competing with your dog, papers are meaningless. The health of my dog is much more important to me than a slip of paper.
No breeding. They only give akc limited registration. However possibly interesting in exploring agility training and competing in the future so I thought he would need AKC registration.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It’s an AKC limited registration

No breeding. They only give akc limited registration. However possibly interesting in exploring agility training and competing in the future so I thought he would need AKC registration.
Who is the registered owner? AKC events require an akc registration, a PAL, or the canine partners. The last two require a fixed dog when they come of age, but I don’t know their process for checking or anything.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts