German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
What health reasons specifically? I've never bought in to it. I never buy in to anything that is a cure all.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
It was kind of a rhetorical question Wolfy. My point was I'm not surprised that the cure all notion of coconut oil is being proven false. I don't buy into all the food hype fads and this was just another one of them.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I use it for my dogs for digestion, 1 tbs once a day. I haven’t seen any negative results. I heard about the study and haven’t looked into it in detail yet, but they said for humans. One of my dogs is on a LID diet which leaves out a lot of nutrients so I supplement her anyway. I don’t think it can hurt but I don’t overdo it. I would never eat it myself, but my diet is varied enough without it.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I use it for my dogs for digestion, 1 tbs once a day. I haven’t seen any negative results. I heard about the study and haven’t looked into it in detail yet, but they said for humans. One of my dogs is on a LID diet which leaves out a lot of nutrients so I supplement her anyway. I don’t think it can hurt but I don’t overdo it. I would never eat it myself, but my diet is varied enough without it.[/QUOTE

The bolded. Like all things. Moderation is the key. Nothing in excess is good. I read the article and the rebuttal of the original Dr.s study saying coconut oil was good for you. The original study was done with 100% MCT derived from coconut oil. Not actual coconut oil either unrefined or refined. That is key to understanding the conflicting views. In addition, to consume the amount of actual coconut oil verses MCT used in the original study stating it's benefits, human or dog couldn't consume that much unless that's all they ate. Seriously, I don't think anyone has a real clue about most of this stuff other than to say eat as clean as you can in moderation and balance.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
I use coconut oil topically for some of Shadows owies and it works well. Since she hates it she doesn't lick it off. She had developed a callous type thing on her front leg from chewing it, which was causing it's own issues. The coconut oil kept it soft enough that it healed and I had no fears that she may ingest it.
It was recommended for Bud when he got old as a supplement to aid in digestion and it worked wonders. I added a tablespoon a day to his food and it seemed to clear up a lot of problems for him. I also used it topically on the urine burns from incontinence and on his old man elbows and saw great results. It SEEMED to help solve the incontinence as well.
I don't think it's a cure all, but it did appear to help with some issues.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Coconut oil can be confusing because it is different that other saturated fats. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is the component that is a good antibacterial and disinfectant. It also contains MCT's which are easily used by the body for energy and can be a very efficient source of energy. An increase in LDL is NOT bad if the ratio of your LDL/HDL stays withing range. If one increases a crazy amount and the other does not then you have a bad ratio and run into heart problems. The science on LDL is outdated and new research shows its the particle size of the LDL that matters and not just the number of how high or low it is. Id say its relatively safe but theres no reason a dog or human should be eating very much of it anyways. Its not a natural type of saturated fat for a dog like animal fat is. Saturated fats being bad in general is outdated. We now know that saturated fat in moderation is healthy and its processed hydrogenated vegetable oils that are bad like canola, soybean, and palm oil (a fruit).

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
mmags, I don't think you'll find mainstream cardiologists who would agree with your statements for humans about sat fat in moderation being "healthy" -- it's a keto/paleo fad talking point, to justify their bacon and cheese addictions.

Here's the cardiology standard take on it for humans, based on years and years of peer-reviewed research:

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...presidential-advisory-on-dietary-fats-and-cvd

A lot of people on the Internet have made grossly unsupported claims for many years about coconut oil benefits by extrapolating research in utterly unsupported ways. At this point, if you're claiming the benefit of it, post the peer-reviewed research that supports the claim -- seriously, go on pub med, and try to find it. (I don't mean blog posts or Dogs Naturally articles by people who may not have passed high school biology for all we know.) I used to believe a lot of what was posted about coconut oil until I started doing that digging into the claims a few years ago, looking for evidence on some of the claims being made about coconut oil by people totally convinced they were true. The lack of evidence is astonishing for something that's been such a staple of holistic advice for so long. There's a whole lot of extrapolation going on from purified extracted component research (e.g. purified MCTs or lauric acid), assuming the whole oil works just as well. It has caused me to really wonder how much of the coconut hype was imaginary.

For example, a study that "demonstrates the growth inhibition of C. difficile mediated by medium-chain fatty acids derived from [virgin coconut oil]" actually found that the coconut oil itself did NOT inhibit the growth of C. diff. The advocates of coconut oil seem to have missed that part.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24328700

For a more readable explanation, here's a derm going through the research:

https://www.futurederm.com/coconut-oil-really-not-antibacterial/

It does make great eye makeup remover though - it melts liquid eyeliner and mascara right off. I'm still not going to eat it though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Recent peer-reviewed research does call into question both beliefs that saturated fat is evil and that high LDL is a death sentence. It’s true that most cardiologists are giving advice based on old beliefs. That doesn’t make either position wrong or right. There is enough evidence to support either side of the modern debate.

All that stuff refers to human health and nutrition, though. I am not aware of the science on amounts/types of sat. fat in dog diets.

·
Registered
160 Posts
mmags, I don't think you'll find mainstream cardiologists who would agree with your statements for humans about sat fat in moderation being "healthy" -- it's a keto/paleo fad talking point, to justify their bacon and cheese addictions.

Here's the cardiology standard take on it for humans, based on years and years of peer-reviewed research:

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...presidential-advisory-on-dietary-fats-and-cvd

A lot of people on the Internet have made grossly unsupported claims for many years about coconut oil benefits by extrapolating research in utterly unsupported ways. At this point, if you're claiming the benefit of it, post the peer-reviewed research that supports the claim -- seriously, go on pub med, and try to find it. (I don't mean blog posts or Dogs Naturally articles by people who may not have passed high school biology for all we know.) I used to believe a lot of what was posted about coconut oil until I started doing that digging into the claims a few years ago, looking for evidence on some of the claims being made about coconut oil by people totally convinced they were true. The lack of evidence is astonishing for something that's been such a staple of holistic advice for so long. There's a whole lot of extrapolation going on from purified extracted component research (e.g. purified MCTs or lauric acid), assuming the whole oil works just as well. It has caused me to really wonder how much of the coconut hype was imaginary.

For example, a study that "demonstrates the growth inhibition of C. difficile mediated by medium-chain fatty acids derived from [virgin coconut oil]" actually found that the coconut oil itself did NOT inhibit the growth of C. diff. The advocates of coconut oil seem to have missed that part.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24328700

For a more readable explanation, here's a derm going through the research:

https://www.futurederm.com/coconut-oil-really-not-antibacterial/

It does make great eye makeup remover though - it melts liquid eyeliner and mascara right off. I'm still not going to eat it though.
I am not talking in coconut oils support, I was just trying to explain how it differed from standard animal saturated fats. Many up to date cardiologists would agree that saturated fats are not evil. Everything has to be in balance. I am in no way advocating keto, paleo, or any other "diet". For example, if you are eating saturated fats from real dairy butter or steak, probably best to balance that out with some omega 3's and nutrient dense vegetables. To say saturated fats are bad is a giant false blanket statement. Notice how every meat in nature is paired with fat for the most part? Should we all go vegan or cut every ounce of fat off our steaks? Just like egg yolk is not bad for you, also an old school myth. Dietary saturated fat or cholesterol doesn't equate to you getting fat and having high cholesterol, thats not how it works. I do agree with you though that a lot of people have made false claims about coconut oil. If you want to pull up studies on sat fat then also pull up studies on processed hydrogenated vegetable oils. Theres a reason that trans fats are now banned and people are reversing their stances on things like butter being bad for you.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I don't think you'll find mainstream cardiologists who would agree with your statements for humans about sat fat in moderation being "healthy" -- it's a keto/paleo fad talking point, to justify their bacon and cheese addictions.

Ahhh...not so fast. Those that believe in the true keto/paleo life style don't just eat bacon and cheese all day. More importantly they advocate for eating grass fed free ranging red meats, free ranging (true free ranging) chickens and sustainable non farmed fish. Meat proteins from sources that are eating what they were meant to eat. Not CAVO produced meat being stuffed with corn and other byproducts to make them fat with the unhealthiest fat. They advocate for eating organiccheeses and other organicdairy from those same free ranging sources. They also stress organic veggies and fruits as well.

Meat from free range pasture raised animals has a whole different nutrient profile all the way around from the meat from CAVO produced animals. I'm not saying saturated fats are healthy to eat in mass amounts. Just saying that you are what you eat and also what your food source eats as well. And there is wherein the rub lies.

It's all complex. We have altered our food so much though industrialization and genetic modifications to reduce waste and keep up with feeding growing world populations its insane. The food people ate 100 years ago had a totally different nutrient profile than food today. And most people don't have access to or can afford to eat as clean as they should. Myself included.

Saying that Coconut oil is "pure poison" is a salacious headline to get people talking and thinking. And it's working.
But this is no different then in the past with carbs are good...no wait...they are bad. High protein is the way to go...no wait...low protein is better.

IMHO the take away is if you are that person who cooks everything in coconut oil, puts in your coffee, subs it in all your baked goods...you're might eating to much of it for it to be healthy in the long term. Again, moderation is the probably the key here.

Whether or not coconut has scientifically proven health benefits...who knows for sure? Anecdotally, many on this forum have found some benefits to adding small amounts to the diet or using it on the skin. Many have recommended it for various things because they have seen benefit. That said all coconut oils are not created equally either. Just like any other oil the purer and least refined is going to be different than those that are highly processed and stripped of all the good things that make them good for whatever reason.

Is it pure poison and going to kill your dog of heart disease...probably not imo. But what do I know I'm not a scientist in a lab deciding what everyone should eat or what they should feed their dogs. There is no one miracle food, supplement or elixir that makes every living being healthy. Nor is there one food group that will kill everyone who eats it within reason.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It does make great eye makeup remover though - it melts liquid eyeliner and mascara right off. I'm still not going to eat it though.[/QUOTE]

I use it, gently warmed, for cleaning my dog's anal fistulas. If he wants to lick afterwards, great tasting. >:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Salacious means something along the lines of “inappropriately interested in sexual matters; indecently sexual”. Is that what you meant to say?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Salacious means something along the lines of “inappropriately interested in sexual matters; indecently sexual”. Is that what you meant to say?

Nope. Never thought along those line.:surprise:

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I don't think you'll find mainstream cardiologists who would agree with your statements for humans about sat fat in moderation being "healthy" -- it's a keto/paleo fad talking point, to justify their bacon and cheese addictions.

Ahhh...not so fast. Those that believe in the true keto/paleo life style don't just eat bacon and cheese all day. More importantly they advocate for eating grass fed free ranging red meats, free ranging (true free ranging) chickens and sustainable non farmed fish. Meat proteins from sources that are eating what they were meant to eat. Not CAVO produced meat being stuffed with corn and other byproducts to make them fat with the unhealthiest fat. They advocate for eating organiccheeses and other organicdairy from those same free ranging sources. They also stress organic veggies and fruits as well.

Meat from free range pasture raised animals has a whole different nutrient profile all the way around from the meat from CAVO produced animals. I'm not saying saturated fats are healthy to eat in mass amounts. Just saying that you are what you eat and also what your food source eats as well. And there is wherein the rub lies.

It's all complex. We have altered our food so much though industrialization and genetic modifications to reduce waste and keep up with feeding growing world populations its insane. The food people ate 100 years ago had a totally different nutrient profile than food today. And most people don't have access to or can afford to eat as clean as they should. Myself included.

Saying that Coconut oil is "pure poison" is a salacious headline to get people talking and thinking. And it's working.
But this is no different then in the past with carbs are good...no wait...they are bad. High protein is the way to go...no wait...low protein is better.

IMHO the take away is if you are that person who cooks everything in coconut oil, puts in your coffee, subs it in all your baked goods...you're might eating to much of it for it to be healthy in the long term. Again, moderation is the probably the key here.

Whether or not coconut has scientifically proven health benefits...who knows for sure? Anecdotally, many on this forum have found some benefits to adding small amounts to the diet or using it on the skin. Many have recommended it for various things because they have seen benefit. That said all coconut oils are not created equally either. Just like any other oil the purer and least refined is going to be different than those that are highly processed and stripped of all the good things that make them good for whatever reason.

Is it pure poison and going to kill your dog of heart disease...probably not imo. But what do I know I'm not a scientist in a lab deciding what everyone should eat or what they should feed their dogs. There is no one miracle food, supplement or elixir that makes every living being healthy. Nor is there one food group that will kill everyone who eats it within reason.

FANTASTIC POST!!!

Reactions: Springbrz
1 - 20 of 24 Posts