·
Registered
6,659 Posts
That is awful.

G

·
0 Posts
A sorry thing to happen certainly. However after reading this:

Quote:Robert Machin said he had just finished walking his two Boston terriers and was about to put them into his car when the truck appeared Thursday morning. The retired transit worker said he was suddenly whipped around and saw one of the dogs, Ginger, being swallowed by the sweeper's round bristles.
I really have to wonder how attentive was the owner? You're on a street where any car let alone truck could come by and hit your dog but the dog is not visible to you? I think the owner's as much at fault here as the street sweeper driver.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDadA sorry thing to happen certainly. However after reading this:

Quote:Robert Machin said he had just finished walking his two Boston terriers and was about to put them into his car when the truck appeared Thursday morning. The retired transit worker said he was suddenly whipped around and saw one of the dogs, Ginger, being swallowed by the sweeper's round bristles.
I really have to wonder how attentive was the owner? You're on a street where any car let alone truck could come by and hit your dog but the dog is not visible to you? I think the owner's as much at fault here as the street sweeper driver.
I have to agree.............tragic and I really feel for the fellows loss, but the dogs should never have been on the road in the first place. I know accidents happen..........I lost a dog due to my own lack of knowledge, entirely different situation mind you.....and it is hard to deal with that loss because if I had known more about doggy behaviour... wouldn't have happened......that is why I feel for this fellow.

Poor pupper RIP.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDad

I totally, absolutely disagree.
I think it's reasonable to assume if you have two dogs and you're putting one of them in the car you may briefly lose sight of the other one. Unless we're talking a very long leash I think the sweeper would have been WAY too close if he was able to pick this dog up.
I think it's wrong to blame the owner.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
A sad accident yes and I feel for the owner and I dont know what I would do if that happened, but imo if the dog was on a short leash and was the close, then one would think that the owner would also end up with some kind of injury or close call and I dont see anything of the sort in the artical.

Im wondering if he dropped the leash and thought the dog would stay there? Or perhaps one of those retractable leashes that was let out?

Either way, its sad and tragic.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Maybe I am not reading this right. But I did not see where it said the owners car was parked in a driveway and not the street. If the car was parked in the street, that would be why the dogs were in the street?

Also the article says "A street-sweeping truck roaring down a Bronx street sucked up a dog and killed her as her owner held the leash.". So was the dog still on a leash? Later in the article it stated that the owner was "whipped around.

Just something to think about.

Sad, any way I look at it.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
While the Bronx has single and 2 family homes with driveways, much of it is apartments with on street parking, on both sides of the street with just enough room for another vehicle to pass through. I'm suprised that he didn't hear the street sweeper coming, these are large machines and the ones that come through my neighborhood make enough noise to know they are coming. He could have also been more aware of where his dogs were. I'm sure I'll see more about this story on the news tonight.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I never heard any update, but coincendentally my town's street sweeper came by this morning. Granted, my area is quieter than the Bronx but I heard the sweeper before it even pulled onto my street.

·
Registered
15,942 Posts
Whether the fellow heard the street sweeper, whether he had a hold of the lead or not, it is very very sad. Sadder, of course, for the dog than the person but very very sad.

Why does it matter who's to blame? It is a sad event. Whoever was at fault, if anyone was at fault doesn't make it any better or any worse.

G

·
0 Posts
Why does it matter? As a cautionary tale if nothing else. Most of us already well know that you should have an eye on your dog at all times when outside of the home. This story just underscores what can happen if you don't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts