German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just moved away, into their new home. Husband got out of the military etc.

Well, they only lived there for a few days when the new neighbor shot their old Labrador Retriever. Old, Fat and not able to run, the neighbor claims the dog charged him, which gets him off the hook.

I already told her that barking might have been enough for that neighbor to believe he's dealing with a dangerous dog and to build a fence and keep the other dogs supervised.

They shouldn't have left her out there unsupervised but she never left the property and was physically not capable to charge. Police said, that since they can't proof that the Lab didn't charge him, there is nothing they can do....

Also told her to look into all the Ordinances, get smart on the laws, build a fence to keep the dogs safe.

What a welcome into the neighborhood.... :help:

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
OMG How horrible!!! Poor dog! If they have other dogs, they should not let them outside alone for sure...what a mean sick person to shoot an old dog like that for no real reason....it is so hard to believe anyone would just shoot someone else's dog like that!!

Are they renting or did they buy this house?? If renting, I would try to move ASAP - if they bought...put it right back on the market - living by someone like this would just make me so worried all the time....

Sorry for the old dog....RIP Buddy....

Lee

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
That is disgusting! Poor old dog.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG How horrible!!! Poor dog! If they have other dogs, they should not let them outside alone for sure...what a mean sick person to shoot an old dog like that for no real reason....it is so hard to believe anyone would just shoot someone else's dog like that!!

Are they renting or did they buy this house?? If renting, I would try to move ASAP - if they bought...put it right back on the market - living by someone like this would just make me so worried all the time....

Sorry for the old dog....RIP Buddy....

Lee
They just bought the house and were so happy to move and get out of here. It turned into a complete nightmare. She said they won't let their dogs out of their sight and that the neighbor is literally patrolling his property with a loaded weapon.

They want to build a privacy fence on that neighbors side and fence the rest of the property in as well.
It's unbelievable. You JUST move somewhere and your old dog is shot. :help:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
What a awful neighbour! :mad: If I had a problem like that I'd either fix it myself or talk to the neighbour, I can't imagine using a gun to kill as the first option.

I would immediately install the privacy fence. 6' tall at MINIMUM

I also would look into getting a video surveillance and make sure large signs are posted with warnings that surveillance is happening. That type of neighbour I would not trust to not deliberately poison the dogs or something else stupid.

Also, even better - build a covered dog run on the other side of the property so the neighbour has NO access to them at all. Or at least, a double fence so they can't get near his property

Good news is now that there's been a report filed, the police are at least aware of the situation so if something else happens they have it on record there was a previous issue.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
What a frightening and sad scenario.

So sorry this happened to your friend's dog. IMHO since they have a gun happy neighbor, they should not only build a privacy fence ASAP but they should continue to monitor their dogs when they're outdoors until either they move or their gun totting macho man neighbor moves.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
That's awful! They lose their companion and the excited of moving into a new home is shattered. Not to mention the constant stress of worrying about the welfare of their remaining dogs.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
How awful.

And thank you for posting this, it's a reminder to all of us how vulnerable our dogs are.

I have indoor outdoor runs that I kennel a couple of dogs in during the day and even though I am on 10 acres I have bark collars on what ever dogs are out. And we crate them in the house if we leave.

I was having a problem with a neighbor that was bat crazy (sorry to all the bats out there) and Animal Control offered to talk to them. I told him no, I was concerned about them poisoning the dogs in retaliation and he told me he had the same problem with a neighbor and the same concerns.

It's amazing how many people have no feelings about animals and would have no more regret about killing one of our dogs then they do if they hit a rabbit with their car or something.

I second the privacy fence, motion lights on the property line and video cameras.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That is just terrible news. Please give your friends my condolences. What a rotten, rotten way to have to start a new life :(

And after military service, no less. That poor dog, and poor family.

I have recently learned that my neighbors have seen a man in our community tossing meat out for dogs to find, chocolate coated chicken. He has been confronted, but he continues. We all have to watch our dogs like a hawk, so I can sympathize. Not enough, though. It just doesn't compare :(

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I would be worried about that nut case throwing poison meat over the fence now, video cameras are in order

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The neighbor sounds like the kind of yahoo who believes the best way to avoid schools shootings is to arm the teachers. An idiot and a mean natured crazy one as well.

Jelpy

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
That's sad and really crummy. I'm so disappointed in the world we live in now. People are ignorant and selfish. Serious fencing, possibly set up a kennel run as suggested on the opposite side from that nasty no good neighbor and video surveillance. This is a good example of why we have to supervise out dogs when they're outside. People are nuts.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
How incredibly sad....and wrong. Nightmare indeed. :(

Just because the police can't/don't press charges does not remove your friend's rights to sue the neighbors in small claims court. Probably something along the lines of unlawful destruction of property. I'm not sure who the burden of proof is on in this situation, depends on local ordinances and circumstances.

If the man discharged a weapon within line of site of other dwellings could be an issue too.

Ultimately this person sounds to be crazy and probably no amount of reasoning can change that. So as others have said they need to start documenting, recording (video and audio) and reporting this neighbor to protect themselves and their animals.

A friend of mine just moved away, into their new home. Husband got out of the military etc.

Well, they only lived there for a few days when the new neighbor shot their old Labrador Retriever. Old, Fat and not able to run, the neighbor claims the dog charged him, which gets him off the hook.

I already told her that barking might have been enough for that neighbor to believe he's dealing with a dangerous dog and to build a fence and keep the other dogs supervised.

They shouldn't have left her out there unsupervised but she never left the property and was physically not capable to charge. Police said, that since they can't proof that the Lab didn't charge him, there is nothing they can do....

Also told her to look into all the Ordinances, get smart on the laws, build a fence to keep the dogs safe.

What a welcome into the neighborhood.... :help:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
The neighbor sounds like the kind of yahoo who believes the best way to avoid schools shootings is to arm the teachers. An idiot and a mean natured crazy one as well.

Jelpy
I suppose I'm a yahoo. Although I don't consider myself a mean natured crazy one as well. (Just don't ask my husband ;))

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well....you don't shoot neighbor's dog's either. That makes you someone I disagree with about some things, but not a yahoo :D (a yahoo by definition is someone who deserves to be eaten by wolves.)

Jelpy

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I suppose I'm a yahoo. Although I don't consider myself a mean natured crazy one as well. (Just don't ask my husband ;))
Welcome to the yahoo club. This is an idiot with a gun. But not all people with guns are idiots. Perhaps the neighbor should get a lesson in proper gun handling. Is there an NRA branch nearby that could visit him? Where is he? If in Southern California I would be happy to instruct him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm one too I guess. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't think this should turn into a gun debate. It really has nothing to do with that and it was never the point to this thread. Those threads also never end well and it would be really disrespectful to this dog that was lost and his family.

For the OP.... That is really really upsetting. Unfortunately, people are freaking crazy. Makes me wonder why the last person there moved. At this point, I agree with the earlier posts.... Privacy fence, and surveillance. I'd also be very very careful with letting the other dogs out. If he can't shoot them... he may poison them, or try to harm them in other ways. Crazy is crazy... he'll find a way regardless. So it's definitely time to keep a hawks eye on the rest of the dogs. I'd also make sure to keep good communication with the police if there's any further threats, or actions made by that neighbor. Maybe they should also see if it's affordable to find something elsewhere. If he's willing to just shoot a dog for no reason right next door in a residential area........ I'd be concerned for the owners safety as well. This guy sounds nuts.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Well....you don't shoot neighbor's dog's either. That makes you someone I disagree with about some things, but not a yahoo :D (a yahoo by definition is someone who deserves to be eaten by wolves.)

Jelpy

Ewwww!! Why poison the wolves???? We'll feed them to the gators. They can eat anything.....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts