German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off... I apologize to AbbyK9 that Yukon smells like an outdoor dog. It's been raining like crazy, we are drowning in mud and water, the temperature dropped dramatically and Yukon is a bit smelly and since it's so cold and wet outside we couldn't give him a bath. It's not as bad as it could be but you can smell it.... :help:

I also want to thank Abby for all the help. Without her it would have been much much more complicated and she's been a tremendous help and I will be forever thankful for that. She's a true friend!

Secondly, I want to smack the people from United Airways.
They are cheap, I give them that but since when is a German Shepherd XL Kennel too small for a German Shepherd that doesn't even weigh 80 pounds?
He's lost so much weight he probably doesn't even have 75 and is not the tallest dogs and can comfortably walk in and out of the kennel, turn around, lay comfortably down and sit up and they still said the kennel was too small and we should buy a new bigger kennel that is usually for St.Bernards so he could fly in the bigger kennel to Chicago and then my husband should simply build the other kennel together and switch kennels before he is flying out to Syracuse since they don't ship XXL kennels there.
Also, he was not allowed to keep his collar. We had to take it off. So my husband would have to get Yukon out of the kennel without a collar and put him into the other kennel? REALLY?
I am sick to my stomache thinking about all the things that could happen to Yukon just because those idiots made up a new policy that says that a dog can't wear a collar in the crate. For gods sake they are on an international flight and he's got to get that dog out of the kennel in Chicago and if he runs off for whatever reason, god knows what could happen... and I am not there which is the worst part. I have no control over my dog and Yukon is my heartdog. So right now I am worried and can't wait to get the info that they made it safely to Ft.Drum.

Anyhow, they called the Vet and the Vet checked ten times if Yukon could walk in and out of the kennel comfortably. I mean... it's a German Shepherd Kennel and it's not big enough for Shepherds anymore? If he was over a 100 pounds and one of those so called old fashioned kind of dogs I would understand but he is not outside of standard and really not that big.

After we convinced the Vet that he would be fine and she realized how ridiculous it sounded when she suggested that my husband should take two kennels for one dog, she was like "Board him but for the other two dogs I want to see an XXL kennel"

I don't get it. Indra is even smaller than Yukon and literally a lightweight. She doesn't have 70lbs yet and they want an XXL kennel for a dog that isn't even a year old and doesn't have 70 pounds yet?
WTH happened? What kind of kennel do they want to use for big danes or st.bernards if a German Shepherd kennel is too small for a GSD?
Are Big Dane owners supposed to get a custom made kennel or do they have to ship them like horses? What the heck happened to common sense and having a dog on an international flight WITHOUT A COLLAR IN HIS KENNEL IS FRICKIN DANGEROUS!
They are not even allowed to wear a leather collar anymore because they could hang themselves in their kennel. REALLY?
What if he takes off and gets shot because of those policies? The risk of a dog taking off because you can't grab him fast enough is much higher than a dog that will hang himself in a crate! And than they gave us scissors to put holes into the back of the crate because of the air circulation.... at that point I was about to seriously lose it!

Now we can go and buy to brandnew kennels because the ones I have ain't good enough anymore. Ooooh the fun... PLUS with those kennels I can't even fly into Syracuse. I have to fly to Newark, take a rental and drive all the way to Ft.Drum because we don't get those kennels into our car and at that point I can take both, Zenzy and Indra with me.

I am so sick and tired of the whole move and I can't wait for the entire thing to be over.

I can't believe it. A German Shepherd Kennel too small for a German Shepherd. WHY THE **** ARE THEY STILL SOLD FOR GSD's?

You know what one of those XXL kennels cost? They cost 280 **** Euros which translates in almost 400 Dollars PER KENNEL!

THAT IS MORE FRICKIN EXPENSIVE THAN SHIPPING THE DOGS!
SHIPPING THE DOGS COSTS 180 Euros and I have to pay a hundred Euros more for a single crate? :help:

Yeah, I am seriously pissed off!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Sounds like it has been very stressful....just keep the goal in mind, you will be on the other side of this soon, sitting at home with all your dogs (and a house full of XXL crates LOL) and try to focus on that! People can suck sometimes! Hope it all works out and is over with soon!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are still in the air. All I know that they are supposed to arrive in the afternoon(NY time) in Syracuse.

I am so worried. I really hope that everything goes well in Chicago, especially since he has to get him out IN THE AIRPORT without a collar on.
The Airport is a completely different beast and I cannot understand for the world how in the world they can justify that. It's more dangerous having a dog in there without a collar than having them in there WITH the collar. Seriously.

What if you have a dog that is so terrified or what if you have a biter? You can't even grab them since they are no longer allowed to wear anything in the kennel.

·
Registered
32,890 Posts
I would imagine that in the land of the USA, a dog with a collar was harmed somehow so to prevent lawsuits they take the collar off. Who is taking them out of the kennel? Your husband? Or Chris?

Either way, I'm sure they will be fine once they see a familiar face. :) Can they move the kennel to a confined area prior to taking them out of the kennels?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would imagine that in the land of the USA, a dog with a collar was harmed somehow so to prevent lawsuits they take the collar off. Who is taking them out of the kennel? Your husband? Or Chris?

Either way, I'm sure they will be fine once they see a familiar face. :) Can they move the kennel to a confined area prior to taking them out of the kennels?
Quasi has to switch planes in Chicago and pick him up and check him in with the next plane. My husband will be picked up in Syracuse by a personal friend of ours. They worked together in Germany. Chris will pick up Yukon once they arrive in Drum.

I am just pissed that I can't take any dog at all to Syracuse and if I wanted to I'd have to take two different kennels. So I have no choice but to fly into Newark which itself is crazy because it's such a long drive from Newark to Watertown... they are making life so much more complicated. Since when does a GSD has to be in a St.Bernard Kennel? It really doesn't make any sense. :help:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sorry you are having to go through all this stuff. I can't imagine how stressful it is for you. But once you have your dogs on the ground again and able to hug them, I hope it will be better.

Good luck...sending good, positive thoughts to you and your dogs. :)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Patty. At this point I am worried but hubby, once he gets to Chicago, will have all the stress to get from point A to point B with the dog, kennel and the luggage. I hope he can get help or manage everything together.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
If I understand what you're saying, Yukon has to be switched from one kennel to another when they get to Chicago?

If so, the transfer from kennel to kennel should (more than likely) take place down in the baggage area. Your husband should be able to pull the kennel off to a quiet area and do the switch there. He might be able to line the kennels up face to face and guide the dog from one to the other without much problem.

Another thought; He can make a slip collar using the leash or a rope. Open the door just enough to get it over Yukons head.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why couldn't you attach the collar to the gate of the kennel or any other method?

They wouldn't let us do it. I have no explanation for it either and it goes beyond my comprehendion that he can't wear his collar in the crate. :help:

So my husband handcarried it on the plane but he was not certain if he could actually take it since they could consider it as a weapon. If he was not allowed to take it on the plane, I don't know what he's going to do in Chicago. :help:

As of right now, I have no idea what is going on, I don't know if he was allowed to take it with him or not.

I am seriously considering booking a flight with a different Airline whose rules are not as ridiculous as United Airways.

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
He has to fly to NY via Chicago? That alone seems ridiculous!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I had a dog shipped from LA to Denver on United four years ago - the no-collar rule was in force at that time, but the person shipping her was permitted to securely tape the collar (a fursaver) to the top of the crate. It may be that this policy has changed, but perhaps the people at the point of origin misinterpreted the rules. I believe that removing the collar is for (perceived) safety reasons...... Anja was in an XL crate, provided by the shipper, not United - she weighs 63 lbs. We wanted to make sure she had plenty of room to get up and turn around if she needed to. I hope your nightmarish experience ends soon, and you are safely reunited with your dogs...

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh Mrs K sorry you are having a nightmare i bought one of the shipping kennels measured dog added all the extra on and you couldnt fit it in the bloomin house it was the size of my living room. I ended up using airpets and they build wooden ones it was half the size kobe was fine they took of the collar and put it on the wire door. We flew BA from heathrow to chicago the guys at chicago require you to fill out a form pay for the dog about $35 they didnt handle him other than to check through the door he was ok and as he was still barking. The hardest thing i had was finding where to pick him up from cause no one knows funnily enough. Other dogs were actually bought through to baggage pick up which we were told to wait at by customs then no dogs, (another couple had their two ridgebacks also on the flight) so finally taking things into our own hands found we had to drive to the opposite end of the airport to the cargo hold for BA.
Hope you are reunited soon

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm sorry you're having such a tough time with it all!!! This is exactly why i've told my husband i adamently refuse to move overseas if he ever gets stationed. Just not going to happen. Its too much stress involved. Wishing you less stress.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honestly, I can fully understand where you are coming from and where other wives are coming from when they stay in the US and don't move with their husbands. It's not just the stress itself. It's the financial stress. Once we've moved we've spent close to 10k moving and the money you get from the army doesn't even cover half of everything we've spend.

The financial stress is the worst and we can pretty much start from zero with saving money.

Yeah, you don't want to be seperated from your husband but sometimes it's better to stay behind instead of being driven into bankruptcy. :help:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Honestly, I can fully understand where you are coming from and where other wives are coming from when they stay in the US and don't move with their husbands. It's not just the stress itself. It's the financial stress. Once we've moved we've spent close to 10k moving and the money you get from the army doesn't even cover half of everything we've spend.

The financial stress is the worst and we can pretty much start from zero with saving money.

Yeah, you don't want to be seperated from your husband but sometimes it's better to stay behind instead of being driven into bankruptcy. :help:

yeah the finances are another issue. our case is we start saving money and something comes up and savings gets blown and then some and we run to catch back up. Usually we'll get a few hundred finally back into savings and its like Riley just knows its there and he'll do something to hurt himself and off to vet we go and savings is gone. I'm going to be working overtime when i go back to work to get money saved up for my friends wedding in february and going home for that and THEN the almost immediate move to our next station. I'd kill someone if we got an overseas duty station.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more hour Mrs. K!

At least I thought you said 1600? It's 3pm now.
I KNOOOOW!!!!

I know he's arrived in Chicago. Checked the bank account and saw that he went to McDonalds. Now thats another way to find out that he made it over there!!! :hammer:

Our friend L. just called to let me know that he will take off to Syracuse in a bit. I am so glad to know that he's on the way to pick both of them up. :wild:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts