German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really am trying to be a good owner and get my dogs out for plenty of walks. However, I haven't so much been walking Kaiser as acting as an anchor of Kaiser to drag. I'm 220lbs so he gets a good work out and I'm able to control him but it's not exactly the relaxing walk I desire.

We've made contact with who I think will be our primary trainer going forward and she mentioned that I'm using the wrong harness. Yeah, I have a pinch collar, a choke chain and your generic flat collar but I don't use those for walking. Everything I'm studying and the method I want to use discourage them. Instead I've been using a harness. One of those harnesses suspiciously like the harnesses they use for sled dogs. :rolleyes:

So I did a search on this forum and found two alternatives: a gentle leader and SENSE-ation No-Pull Dog Harness. I had Amazon overnight the no-pull harness. My reasoning is: how would you like somebody to grab you by the nose and lead you around?

The harness arrived about 30 minutes ago, I got it on Kaiser and have it adjusted to pretty close to where it should be. We took a quick walk around the block and what a difference. The leash stay lose the whole time.

Either he is still figuring it out, in which case tomorrow I'll get taken for a nice drag or it works. I'm thinking it works, but we'll see Kaiser is a crafty puppy.

Next trick for me: bitter apple to see if we can put an end to the leash biting. He's not damaging the leash, but we need to redirect that energy somewhere else so he doesn't eventually figure out that he can bite straight though his leash.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The no-pull was the only way I could walk the Ol Man. He'd tuck his head down with everything else and just drag me along. Even the no-pull he could occasionally twist his head and pop his shoulder out (or something, I still can't figure out how he'd twist is body just right, yet still walk straight) to take away most of the leverage and get some pulling going. Darn smart mutt. Now, with Hubby he'd do ok, it was a slight debate the entire walk but they would at least have some fun.

We are just starting leash work with Griz and I feel like I'm walking a cat. He flops and whines and becomes an anchor, then bolts forward...ahhh!!! I shouldn't complain, he's only had two lessons so far. He WILL learn loose-leash walking dag nabbit!!

I've heard good things about the Easy Walk harness and have one ordered. Am impatiently waiting for it to arrive to see if he'll like that better than the flat collar.

·
Super Moderator
32,028 Posts
I really like the Sense-ation harnesses, and have them in several sizes. I initially bought one for Cassidy, who had a painful spinal disease (discospondylitis), and couldn't have a leash attached to her collar. Our vet suggested a harness instead, and of course the traditional harness we bought first, the kind with the leash connection on the back, made her pull like a sled dog! That's when I discovered the front hook harness, which worked great.

Since then I've used it with all my puppies, and sometimes even as they mature.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just back from the Pet Smart class and Kaiser just made me in to a lair on nearly every account. He was really well behaved the entire time so I'm not complaining. I'm really proud of him. He got along with the other dogs really well and I learned a few things (don't pet the top of the head when coming from the front for instance).

The entire time we were there no pulling to speak of. I'm sold on this thing.

Unfortunately I forgot to buy the bitter apple stuff so I gotta go back.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Roxy pulled me off my feet for the first time the other night..we have come close before ..mind you she weighs only 50 lbs ..but it's ALL Muscle...I am at 127 and she pulled me right to the ground. I need to find another type of harness or something...guess I better look at this front snap one. The one I have is the Ceasar Millan one and it's great for walking when we go on our "walks" but when we are out in the yard and she gets on a rabbit trail..that's when it didn't work so well. ..luckily I didn't get hurt but I'm gonna be 51 this year and won't be able to have much of this going on! :(

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
OMG, Karma is all of 50 pounds at 6 months old, and with a broken toe, on three legs, she can make a good play at dragging me from a martingale. I cannot imagine putting a harness on that bitch unless I want to complete the picture with roller blades and REALLY wear her out before training classes.

·
Registered
874 Posts
have any of you using this had the issues some of the reviewers on amazon have had though? the rubbing of the clips or whatever? Some reviewers say that although a good harness the places where the buckles or clips sit on their dogs have rubbed raw spots on them. I dont' want to get something that is going to injure my dog

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't noticed any issues that way. However, we generally do 2 -3 walks a day, each somewhere between one and two miles.

One thing I will say: don't be afraid to modify stuff. A quick trip to Hobby Lobby, a needle and thread and some padding can fix these issues without too much fuss. My own hiking gear has the straps zip tied and taped so it stays out of the way. Spots where it rubbed received extra padding.

It's yours don't be afraid to fix it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts