German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 6 month old WGSL puppy and as I’ve been reading through this forum I was shocked at the bad rap they get. I thought he had a solid pedigree with numerous titled dogs. I actually chose him because I loved his looks and was also looking to start protection training with him. He is my first purebred Shepherd and it would be my first time doing protection work with a dog (I will obviously find a well experienced trainer to guide me through it). Anyways, I know it varies from dog to dog but solely based on his bloodline do you think he could be suitable for protection work? Or does the fact that he’s a WGSL make him less of a “working dog?” I obviously still love him no matter what but, I’m just curious as to what you guys think? I have attached a few videos of his grand sire and grand dam doing bite work and will also attach a picture of his pedigree! TIA

His grand dam: https://youtu.be/b9aU47OVNFM

His grand sire: https://youtu.be/JyKonve4tO4

His sire (comes into the vid at 4:08):
https://youtu.be/GKw-1TDn-vE

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
You will have to have your pup evaluated at the proper age to see if your pup is suitable for protection training. IMHO, that is the only way to know.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
you can have your pup looked at right after the final set of shots. A trainer will tease the pup with a rag and see how much spunk your pup has. Keep in mind that pups still go through stages all through the first year so don't bring your pup if it seems like it is heading into a fear stage.

WGSL can do protection and really enjoy it. You might have to put more of your own energy into the training as these dogs sometimes decide they just don't want to work as hard some days. The higher drive working lines can be easier to train since they live to work. But even within lines dogs can differ. Even within litters some will have more zip than others.

What ever you chose to do, have fun with it! It will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can have your pup looked at right after the final set of shots. A trainer will tease the pup with a rag and see how much spunk your pup has. Keep in mind that pups still go through stages all through the first year so don't bring your pup if it seems like it is heading into a fear stage.

WGSL can do protection and really enjoy it. You might have to put more of your own energy into the training as these dogs sometimes decide they just don't want to work as hard some days. The higher drive working lines can be easier to train since they live to work. But even within lines dogs can differ. Even within litters some will have more zip than others.

What ever you chose to do, have fun with it! It will make a huge difference.
Wow, thanks for the informative response! My boy is 6 months old and he’s actually going through his “fear phase” right now. Is that normal at this age or is it typically something that happens younger? If you have any tips on confidence building I’d love to hear them. Also I was wondering how does one find a trainer for IPO? Do you have to go through private trainers? Or specific AKC clubs? I’m new to this all so, I’m very excited to start the process! Even if protection work isn’t his thing I’ll try to get him into tracking since he loves sniffing anything/ everything that comes into his path lol

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
If you don't get any responses for clubs you could try starting a thread for this specifically. Your pups grand sire/dam look nice. We added a wgsl from Poland earlier this year he has been a great addition. He is every bit as much GSD as our Czech WL only a little more social. Don't let some of the stuff you read cause you to have any reservations about your dogs capabilities.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't get any responses for clubs you could try starting a thread for this specifically. Your pups grand sire/dam look nice. We added a wgsl from Poland earlier this year he has been a great addition. He is every bit as much GSD as our Czech WL only a little more social. Don't let some of the stuff you read cause you to have any reservations about your dogs capabilities.
I will definitely do that! Did you have any thoughts on my dogs sire? Also if you can, you should post a picture of your WGSL! I would love to see him☺Btw thank you so much for that last bit, I was certainly getting disappointed seeing everyone else’s thoughts on here about WGSL.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
My experience is limited to AKC venues. Im not experienced in ipo other than as a spectator a couple times. Those who are active in the sport would best answer your question. I will look through my phone for pictures of Remi (sorry no camera) and see if I have any worth posting though.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
A lot of these working line dogs are conditioned while still in the litter with flirt poles and put on different surfaces and played with increasing their engagement and drives. They also will desensitize them to noises and such. This should not be necessary for temperament testing, but if you are looking to do schutzhund with your puppy it will not hurt to build the pup up a little starting now.

WGSL dogs who are not played with as such in the litter, etc., can STILL excel at schutzhund and even be used for police work. But you have to pick the right ones out of the litter for this. On average, they tend to be more laid back, with less drive than the working line dogs, which makes them great for just about anything you want to do with them. If you want to go with high competition, protection sports, herding 14 hours a day every day, or police work, that should be something you should have based your choice of breeder and puppy on.

BTW, great pedigree, we're related on many of the dogs. You should have a real fun pup.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
Wow, thanks for the informative response! My boy is 6 months old and he’s actually going through his “fear phase” right now. Is that normal at this age or is it typically something that happens younger? If you have any tips on confidence building I’d love to hear them. Also I was wondering how does one find a trainer for IPO? Do you have to go through private trainers? Or specific AKC clubs? I’m new to this all so, I’m very excited to start the process! Even if protection work isn’t his thing I’ll try to get him into tracking since he loves sniffing anything/ everything that comes into his path lol

Let your pup experience all kinds of things from a distance. I found using a harness (not the no-pull kind) and a long line lets a pup explore and come back to you on their terms. It can help a lot with confidence. Just bring a short traffic leash to clip to the collar when you need the extra control, to cross a street or get through a crowd, etc.

We were blessed to have found a good club to help us through many of the first year stages, what we normal and what we needed to "correct", etc. I don't know of any in New England. Hopefully you can find a fabulous one.

Oh, and we do Man-trailing with our dogs now and they love it.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I have a wgsl- Luna with Vegus and Zamp in her bloodlines. Very happy with her. Learns real quick and nice dog great nose and very biddeable. We dabble in obedience,scentwork carting ,sledding, agility for fun but have not competed. Attatched site with clubs you can look up in your area -maybe someone on this forum had experience with a specific club and trainer for evaluation in your area they can recommend.

https://www.germanshepherddog.com/region-events/?cy=2018&cm=11&re=new

·
Registered
708 Posts
My pups sire is a WGSL, a beautiful dog with vibrant red! What I am most impressed about is even show dogs in Germany have to be titled in ring sport, which is a far improvement over AKCs requirement of just having papers at all to breed! They also display health testing results. There’s absolutely no reason why you couldn’t try out any dog sport with your pup, most people aren’t equipped nor desire a true high drive working line dog (me included). Have fun with him! He’s sure to be an athlete and physically capable of near anything you could ask.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zamp vom Thermodos, Vegas du Haut Mansard... your pup's lineage is such a great one!

I am editing this just to say, Remo and Pacco too. Really great!

Complimenti!
Grazie mille!! ☺ This is my first purebred GSD puppy so, hopefully I can help him live up to his potential.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of these working line dogs are conditioned while still in the litter with flirt poles and put on different surfaces and played with increasing their engagement and drives. They also will desensitize them to noises and such. This should not be necessary for temperament testing, but if you are looking to do schutzhund with your puppy it will not hurt to build the pup up a little starting now.

WGSL dogs who are not played with as such in the litter, etc., can STILL excel at schutzhund and even be used for police work. But you have to pick the right ones out of the litter for this. On average, they tend to be more laid back, with less drive than the working line dogs, which makes them great for just about anything you want to do with them. If you want to go with high competition, protection sports, herding 14 hours a day every day, or police work, that should be something you should have based your choice of breeder and puppy on.

BTW, great pedigree, we're related on many of the dogs. You should have a real fun pup.
Thanks for the explanation! I’m in my early 20s so this my first GSD puppy that is fully mine. I do have a GSD/ husky mix but, I rescued her when she was already 10 months old so, I never have raised a puppy on my own/ selected a breeder until now. I purchased this pup while I was in Italy two months ago and I wasnt even aware of the different lines that existed (i.e. working, DDR, etc). I figured since my pup had titled dogs in his pedigree that he would be able to work. His breeder also makes sure to get all his dogs titled and into sports. So, I thought this was a good sign as well. Surprisingly, there are very few working line GSDs in Italy. Most of the Italians I have met that own shepherds actually refer to the working lines as poorly bred dogs/ mutts. ? I obviously know this is as far from the truth as possible but, it was interesting to hear their ideas on the working line. My uncle works as a police officer in Italy and they actually use a lot more WGSLs to do police work then one would see here in the states. Obviously, this is MY personal experience that I had in Italy. I’m a dual citizen so, i spend a lot of time there as well. In all the years that I’ve been there I haven’t seen any working line GSDs (other than a few police K9s). Anyways, sorry for the off topic ramble I just thought that some might be amused by my experience over there lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Let your pup experience all kinds of things from a distance. I found using a harness (not the no-pull kind) and a long line lets a pup explore and come back to you on their terms. It can help a lot with confidence. Just bring a short traffic leash to clip to the collar when you need the extra control, to cross a street or get through a crowd, etc.

We were blessed to have found a good club to help us through many of the first year stages, what we normal and what we needed to "correct", etc. I don't know of any in New England. Hopefully you can find a fabulous one.

Oh, and we do Man-trailing with our dogs now and they love it.
Thank you for the reply!! I’ll definitely invest in a long line. If I notice that he’s scared of an inmate object (e.g. trash can, statute, etc) should I encourage him to approach the object and give it a sniff. Or should I let him run past it with his hackles up without trying to get him to investigate it? Oooh man trailing sounds fun ? I’m gonna start reading up on that too now !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts