German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering purchasing this puppy from overseas. I have worked with this breeder before. I trust them fully.

I’m NEW to the showline and showing. However I have fell in love with the showline and showing! It’s so much fun!

I’m still novice in determining a good confirmation. I have been told a couple different things... one of them is she’s great, then I got an “she’s average for her age, we don’t even look at them at this age” and The other is, skip this one if you want to show in the top bc she has a straight back. No professional opinions, just friends I have showing these wonderful dogs and their opinions!

She has amazing pedigree and temperament, looks like a complete love in the videos of her interacting in the public and with kids. However, my interest lies in showing and getting them titled. Possibly very limited breeding once titled and health tested and then if they are stable minded, what I consider a good family pet, then Id breed.

Can anyone share photos with me of what they see as top show potential. Also critique this pup. Sadly I have to make my decision very soon, they have others wanting info on her but are giving me first shot. Which I feel fortunate over!

She is 13 weeks. Father is VA Gavin and the mother is V1. Both IPO3/KKL. A1 hips

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Could you give the registered names of the parents? I'm curious.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Are you in the U.S. looking to get a puppy from overseas? I don't know personal experiences but there are vast differences between ASL and WGSL so if you're showing in the U.S. where ASL type dogs are more what people are looking for that may be something to keep in mind. As a disclaimer though I know nothing about showing or what shows to go to. But just a possible issue that popped into my head. I have no idea how WGSLs tend to do in the U.S confirmation wise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I’m in the U.S. —. I am showing at Sieger & GSDCA shows. Not AKC. AKC frowns on the long coats it seems, unfortunately!

Thank you for bringing this up though bctbis is a good point!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
nice looking happy pup
pigment good
topline moving in the right direction - nothing extreme in conformation or
angulation
one comment -- flat feet - looking back into his ancestors on the pedigree data base
this is a family trait --- lots of flat feet

balanced .

there is the problem --- the dog most likely would be overlooked in the AKC specialty (GSD's only) show.

Based on the SV style shows I've gone to he would probably be overlooked , not appreciated.
The last SV show I attended with a GSD conformation expert , ture to our prediction, the dog with the most
extreme roach placed first -- and the ONE dog with beautiful correct structure , bone , and character placed dead last
Hope this changes.

He would be a good representative of the breed and would be appreciated in the AKC ALL BREEDs shows .

He is a nice pup.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Makes me sad to hear that Carmen!

Last SV conformation show I was at (a regional championship) the colour of the t-shirt the handler was wearing was more important than the dog's structure.

In one class, someone brought in a female with a horrible ring tail. Her hind end was so weak and overangulated, she needed the handler's support to stay upright when being stacked.

Guess which dog placed first??

Maybe we were at the same show! :frown2:

Agree with your assessment of this pup!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Carmspac, are you saying this pup has flat feet or it is in the line ? If you see it in this pup, can you describe what I should look at so I can see it? Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so much for your opinions and info! I know my male has that semi-extreme roach back almost look. It’s not as bad as some, but more prominent than this girls. He’s not weak in the hind though. I bought him not realizing much about conformation yet. Of course he does amazing in the show so far. VP1. He’s young yet. 8 months.

I’m hopeful to get this girl. I’m not sure she’s still available to me, but I like her look myself. Her personality seems to take the cake though in what I’ve seen on video.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
If you are in the NE, Dieter Oeser will be in CT in October and I hear Heidi Theis will be in NH in November.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts