GSD
English Setter
Samoyed
Lakeland terrier

·
Super Moderator
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Disappointed that River didn’t win it all, but so proud of his Herding Group win. That Bloodhound was really really nice.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
😭 She looks like she glides with the wind. When Fern bonded with our family she started having weird problems with strangers. We can be at a local baseball game with strangers bumping into her, airhorns, screaming, dogs barking and she's totally fine. When they want to pet her she immediately goes into heel position and looks thoroughly disgusted. Such weirdos!
Ummmm hello, breed standard.

·
Super Moderator
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ummmm hello, breed standard.
Fighting hard against that “suspicious of strangers” thing with this one. I don’t need them to be her best friend, just hold still for 15 seconds. Honestly there’s fear in there, so not a good thing. Not hackling or growling, but the avoidance is extreme.

·
Super Moderator
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’m sure the vet would prefer to be able to exam this dog without it being a major production. I know I would.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Harley is neutral to strangers outside except for one old(er) lady who I meet walking many mornings. She's my non-dog-owning inspiration as she hasn't missed her daily walk (45 minutes?) in decades, even after recently losing her long time walking partner. I always have time for her and Harley does too.

Rogan is neutral to strangers but alerts to dogs. He will actively avoid being pet by people he doesn't know and I'm great with that.

Both were fine at the vet (total stranger) last week.

I kinda cringe when I see so many people blaming dog issues on COVID and the inability to "socialize" them though. Rogan is pretty much the least socialized dog I know. I have no idea where he lands on the hardness scale but he's a very serious dog until he accepts you. He has met a ton of contractors as we do a major renovation/addition, scares the crap out of them in the driveway but fine when they're accepted inside. Definition of aloof then.

·
Administrator
10,680 Posts
I don’t want people to pet my dogs, any more than I would want them to hug my kids.
try having a curly haired nephew….ppl would ask to pet him [his hair] too 🙄. it really started to bug me when he was of the age to speak up for himself and they’d still ask the adult.

·
Super Moderator
9,274 Posts
try having a curly haired nephew….ppl would ask to pet him [his hair] too 🙄. it really started to bug me when he was of the age to speak up for himself and they’d still ask the adult.
Lol!I'm reminded of when my son was very young and he would get buzz cuts at the beginning of summer. Everyone wanted to rub his bristley head:)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts