German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,275 Posts
We are all getting old I am curious about the story…oh well Congrats!
Story? I don't see where anyone mentioned a story. If you're asking about Jimmy, he's been showing dogs since he was a kid. He finished his first champion GSD at age 13. He also handled the first GSD to ever take BIS at Westminister, Covy-Tucker Hill's Manhattan, and now is mainly a breeder and a judge. Covy Tucker Hill German Shepherd Breeders - BIS Ch. Covy-Tucker Hill's Manhattan ROM OFA.

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
621 Posts
Story? I don't see where anyone mentioned a story. If you're asking about Jimmy, he's been showing dogs since he was a kid. He finished his first champion GSD at age 13. He also handled the first GSD to ever take BIS at Westminister, Covy-Tucker Hill's Manhattan, and now is mainly a breeder and a judge. Covy Tucker Hill German Shepherd Breeders - BIS Ch. Covy-Tucker Hill's Manhattan ROM OFA.
I've been looking into this kennel. I heard they're wonderful people and they're less than 3 hours away!

I really love the names of these show dogs. They look fanstastic. I need to show Fern later

·
Registered
621 Posts
@dogfaeries Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question. How do people pick the appropriate handler for their dog? Do people stick to handlers they worked with before or do things change last minute as well? The dogs seem quite unfazed by both the judges and handlers.

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Owners will find a handler that knows how to present the breed. A handler that they have a good rapport with and that they trust. Lennie Brown has shown some of the top GSDs over the years. He’s good. Really good.

A seasoned show dog won’t skip a beat at a big crazy show. My girl Scarlet LOVES dog shows.

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And yes, sometimes a dog will find a new handler, for a variety of reasons. My current handler is not my original one! (She stopped showing GSDs, and just shows smaller dogs now). I really like both the handlers I’ve had, and they both finished a dog for me.

Reactions: ksotto333

·
Registered
621 Posts
And yes, sometimes a dog will find a new handler, for a variety of reasons. My current handler is not my original one! (She stopped showing GSDs, and just shows smaller dogs now). I really like both the handlers I’ve had, and they both finished a dog for me.
What happened to Nora? I remember reading that she was having stranger danger issues, hopefully, she's coming along? I love seeing these dogs in the show ring. They remind me of runway models, surrounded by chaos but always looks fierce.

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What happened to Nora? I remember reading that she was having stranger danger issues, hopefully, she's coming along? I love seeing these dogs in the show ring. They remind me of runway models, surrounded by chaos but always looks fierce.

Well, the brown dog is taking an indefinite break. She’s been to a behaviorist several times, and has also been worked extensively by a local handler and a couple of juniors in handling classes. Everyone oooohs and aaaahs over her because the dog is stunning, but she is just not having strangers touch her. Everyone has tried everything they can think of, but to no avail. I love her dearly, and she’s a lovely pet, but not letting a judge examine you is kind of a deal breaker. General consensus is she’s a very soft dog. Environmentally she’s great. She can stand next to strangers, She doesn’t bark at strangers. She turns into a pretzel if anyone tries to touch her. So frustrating. By comparison, all my other dogs have loved being in shows, especially Scarlet. I’m at a loss.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, the brown dog is taking an indefinite break. She’s been to a behaviorist several times, and has also been worked extensively by a local handler and a couple of juniors in handling classes. Everyone oooohs and aaaahs over her because the dog is stunning, but she is just not having strangers touch her. Everyone has tried everything they can think of, but to no avail. I love her dearly, and she’s a lovely pet, but not letting a judge examine you is kind of a deal breaker. General consensus is she’s a very soft dog. Environmentally she’s great. She can stand next to strangers, She doesn’t bark at strangers. She turns into a pretzel if anyone tries to touch her. So frustrating. By comparison, all my other dogs have loved being in shows, especially Scarlet. I’m at a loss.
Oh wow I didn't expect that from such a spicy pup! I guess she will be the elusive beauty, look but no touch! You've been bestowed with the privilege of giving her pats. I'm sure she's a head-turner when you meander through the streets :)

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Oh wow I didn't expect that from such a spicy pup! I guess she will be the elusive beauty, look but no touch! You've been bestowed with the privilege of giving her pats. I'm sure she's a head-turner when you meander through the streets :)
If the darn dog didn’t have her brain on fire, she’d already be a champion. She’ll be 2 in September.

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
@dogfaeries Samson is the same. We practiced and practiced at class, even hanging out with other classes where unfamiliar people would volunteer to do the "stand for exam". But when he needed to stand for a judge for five seconds - nope. As soon as their hand reached toward him he would step out of reach:rolleyes:

Reactions: ksotto333

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
@dogfaeries Samson is the same. We practiced and practiced at class, even hanging out with other classes where unfamiliar people would volunteer to do the "stand for exam". But when he needed to stand for a judge for five seconds - nope. As soon as their hand reached toward him he would step out of reach:rolleyes:
Frustrating!

Nora will run around the ring, and she’ll stack. She just wants the judges to stay in their lane, lol. She’s going to be the death of me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If the darn dog didn’t have her brain on fire, she’d already be a champion. She’ll be 2 in September.

😭 She looks like she glides with the wind. When Fern bonded with our family she started having weird problems with strangers. We can be at a local baseball game with strangers bumping into her, airhorns, screaming, dogs barking and she's totally fine. When they want to pet her she immediately goes into heel position and looks thoroughly disgusted. Such weirdos!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts