German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is still in stray hold, I don't see a due date. The shelter may not put her up for adoption as her chances for adoption with a limp are slim. Rescue is probably her only chance. Look at her video - what a super nice dog!

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | German Shepherd Dog | West Monroe, LA | 45Green

45Green

German Shepherd Dog: An adoptable dog in West Monroe, LA

Large • Adult • Female

THE TAG # FOR THIS DOG IS 45Green. THIS GIRL IS VERY SWEET. SHE IS LIMPING ON ONE OF HER BACK LEGS WHICH WILL MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO ADOPT HER OUT. WE ARE HOPING SOMEONE WILL CONSIDER ADOPTING HER AND TAKE HER TO THE VET TO HAVE HER LEG CHECKED.

This dog was picked up by animal control and has not reached it's required 7 day stay yet. It may end up getting reclaimed by its owner and because it hasn't been temperment tested yet, it may or may not come up for adoption when the 7 days are up. If you are interested in this dog, please act quickly and call the shelter to see when and if it will become available. You will need to let them know before the 7th day that you are interested in the dog.

WE ACCEPT CASH ONLY SO BE SURE TO HAVE CASH WHEN YOU COME TO THE SHELTER.
Note: The shelter phone will not dial long distance numbers so we can't return any long distance calls. Also, we only have 2 employees so ...

45Green's Contact Info

Ouachita Parish Animal Shelter, West Monroe, LA

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really have to stop reading this section. She's broken my heart - what a sweet, sweet girl - and I want her. I know of no way of getting her since I'm NY, so she's going to haunt me for days/weeks/whatever. And I'll hear that crying in my sleep tonight. :teary:

How serious are the possibilities of what could be wrong with her leg?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She needs to be seen by a vet. Also for pain meds. If you can help, please do not hesitate to email the shelter volunteer parishpets at yahoo.com
The volunteer who answers the email is terrific, and very GSD savvy. Help would be arranged by her and other volunteers of PAWS of Northeast Louisiana, the 501c organization that helps the animals at this municipal shelter. Time is of the essence.
The shelter closes for the holidays, no intake, so no euthanasia for a couple of days. They will reopen on Monday morning, Dec. 27, with dozens of new abandoned animals at their doors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just to update on what's going on. I've been speaking with the shelter volunteer about possibly getting this girl out of there and up to me. But first she needs to have the leg looked at and we have to find out what exactly is involved in fixing it. She's going to get her to the vet and x-rayed so we know what we're dealing with. I'm concerned about money - I've not got the resources to take on a dog that I know is going to have thousands of dollars of vet bills ahead. If I could find a rescue willing to pull her, I'd foster her for them, no problem. (Foster in my case likely equals: fall helplessly in love and adopt.) But to take on, alone, all the expenses of what could be some VERY expensive problems... I don't know if I can.

So. The volunteer there is going to get her to the vet for me and see what the story is. We'll go from there!

Will let you know what's happening.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Please keep us posted! She looks like a real sweetheart...

Be careful with offers to help with transport via commercial air lines. (Someone had offered before for another dog). Don't misunderstand me b/c the offer is extremely generous. However, during the winter there are embargos where animals are not transported in the cargo holds. Further, employees are usually given a discount for this, not a freebie and that is when the employee is traveling with the pet. Different carriers have different rules but they don't usually vary very much.

I hope I'm not a downer! I'd LOVE to see you rescue her!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not a downer at all Dania - I appreciate the info a lot!! From the shelter volunteer, it sounds like it'd be ground transport anyhow.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you and her!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
WE ARE HOPING SOMEONE WILL CONSIDER ADOPTING HER AND TAKE HER TO THE VET TO HAVE HER LEG CHECKED.

Are you effing kidding me!! She needs a VET NOW! Actually, she needed to see a vet YESTERDAY! Thats ridiculous!! Poor baby!!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Just to update on what's going on. I've been speaking with the shelter volunteer about possibly getting this girl out of there and up to me. But first she needs to have the leg looked at and we have to find out what exactly is involved in fixing it. She's going to get her to the vet and x-rayed so we know what we're dealing with. I'm concerned about money - I've not got the resources to take on a dog that I know is going to have thousands of dollars of vet bills ahead. If I could find a rescue willing to pull her, I'd foster her for them, no problem. (Foster in my case likely equals: fall helplessly in love and adopt.) But to take on, alone, all the expenses of what could be some VERY expensive problems... I don't know if I can.

So. The volunteer there is going to get her to the vet for me and see what the story is. We'll go from there!

Will let you know what's happening.

Thank GOD she is going to a vet. I was outraged when I saw they were waiting for the adopter to get her to the vet.... Oh wow, thanks for the update!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
My take on this is that it's a "poor" shelter with absolutely no resources to vet their animals. There are too many of them and no funds. I mean, we have shelters here in NY that sometimes leave their dogs with raging ear infections etc because medicating them is too costly, and well, their bottom line I guess is that spending money they don't have on medicating/treating a dog who is being euthanized in a week doesn't really make sense. Deplorable, yes, I know. Absolutely. It's heartbreaking and sickening, but I think is a reality in some shelters. :(

If no interest was shown in this dog, she wouldn't be being vetted I think. The great (seriously - she's a gem) volunteer at this shelter is getting her seen by a vet for me so I have an idea of how bad the leg is, so I know if I can even pursue this alone (meaning without a rescue's backing). I'm not sure who pays for that vet visit, but I'm reasonably sure it isn't the shelter. This is all thanks, I think?, to the volunteer and her organization.

I can't stand to think of this incredibly sweet girl limping around in pain with whatever is wrong with her not being addressed. :(

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank GOD she is going to a vet. I was outraged when I saw they were waiting for the adopter to get her to the vet.... Oh wow, thanks for the update!!
If you wish to help the dogs and cats at this shelter, you can do so via PAWS of Northeast Louisiana, the 501c volunteer organization that works incredibly hard to help the animals in this rural pound. To give you an idea of the situation: In 2009, the pound took in 9056 animals, euthanasia rate was 87%.

I agree with you that an animal in pain not getting medical help right away is outrageous - but someone has to pay for the vet, and cities rarely do, fearing tax payer outrage from those who want to keep taxes at a minimum. The two shelter employees do what they can and more, and so do the PAWS NELA volunteers. Each donation enables medical care for shelter dogs such as this sweet, sweet GSD.

Equally outrageous are the killings – to end them takes a political will to do what is needed to stop the overproduction of dogs: Regulation to end pet shop puppy sales and road side puppy sales, to end puppy mills, spay/neuter assistance to low income pet owners. And individuals who choose to adopt and not buy. PAWS NELA already does excellent community outreach to boost adoptions and is raising funds for a low cost, high volume s/n clinic in their parish.

The situations of dogs and cats in municipal pounds in your state, KY, is sad as well. Many injured and sick dogs and cats are brought to open admission shelter there, too, and depend on donations to volunteer organizations to get help. Many get no help at all until they are put down, others have to wait several days until donation money is available. If you wish to help sick and injured dogs in KY by adopting, volunteering, and/or donating: Shelters and rescues in KY post pets in need on HOME - KY_CENTRAL

Thank you, Samantha, for trying to save this wonderful dog.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well said, Sarah. The reality of it all is shocking and horrifying, really. I've been in dogs for a lot of years and always felt I really knew all about the overpopulation problem and the shelter problem etc, but really, until you get really immersed in it, head first, you don't really know. And it hurts. What happens to these sweethearts and what *doesn't* happen to them, for them, hurts. But that's good - because our outrage and our pain for these creatures spurs us to do some good and help however we can. Or, at least, it should.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Any update or idea of when a diagnosis will come?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just got an e-mail. She tested her with dogs for me and she seemed just fine with the female she tested her with. She apparently is putting the foot down more when she walks now (still limping but at least partially bearing weight on it), but when standing it just sort of dangles. She said that she doesn't whimper or cry when walking on it at all. She's taking her to the vet tomorrow (Wednesday) midday, so I should hear from her in the evening with the vet's verdict. Will lyk...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Okay. She was seen by a vet today. She has a broken leg (tibia). The organization helping here (PAWS NELA) can't afford to do the external fixture with bolts through the bone, so they are opting for splinting it. However, she's also heartworm positive.

There is a plea out for a foster home for her while she heals.

I'm unsure if they're going to treat the heartworm at the same time - I'm guessing no, but will ask. I suspect that will fall to the adopter but I may well be wrong.

There was some local interest in her (which would of course be better all around for her), but they've backed off now.

The very best news here, though, is that she is SAFE *and* is getting her injured leg fixed.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've been so anxious for her update! :) Is she *really* safe? Are you still interested in her?

Does anyone know what the difference is for healing between the 2 courses of treatment? Is the cost difference very substantial?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just left a message w NELA. After a little research (aka Googling), it really sounds like surgery would give her the best chance at healing to 100%. I offered to make a donation for her treatment.

I really hope they can find a foster for her, better yet a new human (Samajade, perhaps?)!

·
Registered
184 Posts
There was about a $600 difference between the 2 options. :eek: Don't know very much about the difference in healing. I know she did say that with a splint she'll have to be kept much quieter than with the other option.

And yup, as I understand it, she is absolutely safe now. :D

Me? I'm not sure what I'll do here or what will happen. A lot remains to be seen as to how she's healing with just the splint etc. I won't be able to take on the cost of the external fixator should that seem necessary (as I hear it can in some cases). Here, even the cost of treating the heartworms, if they're bad, is fairly prohibitive. No matter what, she'll be there for at least 4-6 weeks while she heals, and of course more will be learned about her personality and temperament. But regardless, she's now got some local interest stirring in this girl, and overall, she'll be best off that way should that come to be.

BTW - she's named her Holly. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
You're a sweetheart Dania! She had sent me the link to her Facebook page for donations but I think I'm not supposed to post it here, right? If that's right, just PM me and I'll reply with it. Otherwise, lmk and I'll post it here.

A new permanent human won't help her much this far away. She needs a great foster there in Louisiana for her entire healing and, potentially, a great adopter *there*, particularly if she ends up with orthopedic issues from this that need to be followed. If not, then she, like any other dog, could really go anywhere. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Under the circumstances it's good that at least her joints aren't injured. My terrier Chip had also been found as a stray with a tibial fracture. He got the external skeletal fixator surgery. The cost for the surgery was ca 1800 $ in expensive Boston (no rescue discount); it should be less in LA.

Acc. to Chip's surgeon, the advantage of the ESF is that the dog can keep using the leg while it heals, flexing it and bearing weight which greatly helps in the healing process. Immobilizing the leg with a splint (that would need to immobilize the stifle, a 'spiker splint') means a longer time for the fracture to heal, it wouldn't heal as well (with some risk of not healing if it's a mal-union), and the soft tissue (ligaments and tendons) would shorten due to non-use, PT exercises and swimming help flexing them gently again.

Chip's fracture healed as a malunion, the tibia is shortened by the fracture, but it healed great and he runs like the wind! The long term prognosis is good: The orthopedic surgeon assured me that no long term issues such as arthritis will result. I hope this sweet girl will be able to run like the wind again, too.

I'll email my notes from the conversation with the surgeon, and my experience with the ESP, to Christie. Christie also sent me the video clip of her dog to dog meeting: What a sweet dog! Many dogs would have been defensive with her injury, but she was just friendly and sociable.

Samantha, your persistent interest in her saved her life. And Christie's incredible work, once more. PAWS of Northeast Louisiana is the 501c volunteer organization that is helping 45Green. Maybe they'll let her sponsors name her?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts