German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all! I’m not in a market for a new puppy, I’m just looking for some differences/traits. Starting this threat to educate myself. Any input welcome whether you love them or hate them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,102 Posts
I really like the WG/Czech breedings. I feel they add balance back. WG are known for higher prey. Czech are known for higher aggression/suspicion. The breedings that bring the two together seem to have dogs with a better balance and ability to switch between drives appropriately.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I really like the WG/Czech breedings. I feel they add balance back. WG are known for higher prey. Czech are known for higher aggression/suspicion. The breedings that bring the two together seem to have dogs with a better balance and ability to switch between drives appropriately.
Learn something from Jax everytime I log on lol!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have a 2.5 year old WG/Czech. He has suspicion, and is forward (does not spook). He use to lunge and bark at people who eyeballed him at all, training and conditioning fixed that (the "I make those decisions" lessons in life). His environmentals are great. Would hop on a moving float at a parade. Loves climbing apparatus and hopping walls and benches while we are out walking. We did have a hatred of flowers for a few months, but he sniffed one and something stung him lol I would call that understandable lol He is over it.

I took him to our middle school yesterday to pick up my kid in the snow. Figured it would be a nice walk. Throngs of kids getting dismissed and he just walks right through it. One kid bent over and barked in his face while walking by, another swept snow off the hedges onto him to be a jerk, and another slapped him on the back (like a hard hey buddy pat) while walking by. He only reacted to the slap on his back. He turned and barked at the kid. Didnt lunge. I am fine with that. He did change ear carriage and leaned closer to me after the 3 little jerks pulled their stuff, but he recovered well and stuck with me, then did the happy greet when we ran into my daughter and her friends. So I consider that all pretty decent. Especially since I have seen what he would have LIKED to have done vs what he did.

As an aside I called the school and they said they would talk to the kids during morning announcements, but they also said I should not walk the dog around crowds of kids if he isnt ok with it. So there is why your kids are entitled and messed up these days. It's just never their fault nor are the ever fully accountable. Sad to say for my dog's safety I guess I cant walk the blocks surrounding Middle School at dismissal time (we were not on school grounds). It isnt right or fair, but if he even knocks someone down or scares them into the street or something due to something THEY did to him, it will still be seen as his fault and I have a duty to keep him safe.

Sorry to rant on that, but yeah he is good. Had to definitely work through some issues while he was growing up but he is a good strong dog that makes us feel safe and loves my children. He is welcoming to my kids friends as well as the therapists coming in and out of my house for my boys. He has learned if I let them in, they are to be respected. Without the effort and money I put into learning how to impart that to him, I feel that random company would have been a problem in a "pet grade" home.

IGP- he enjoys it. Again, had to teach him it was a game and not a Kenpo Circle Of Death. Had to teach him to pull instead of push, etc. High defensive drive.

He has come a long way. He will meet and greet people if it is appropriate, he expects it, and they aren't weird. He is a thinker and you can see him learning. I like that about him.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There really are no DDR dogs anymore, in the sense that they do not resemble the early DDR dogs in temperament. It is also more and more difficult to find a breeding strictly out of Czech dogs. I agree with Jax, that with the right breeding, a breeding with good West German and Czech/Slovak dogs in the pedigree can yield some good results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts