German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
=) Looking into West German Showlines.
If someone could PM me or point me in the right direction to a breeder (preferably on the East Coast), that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Thought you wanted a working line dog or going to get a dog from that Ivan guy?

What are you looking for in a West German Showline dog? A little bit more information may help people put you in the right direction since West German Showline breeders breed for different reasons.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought you wanted a working line dog or going to get a dog from that Ivan guy?

What are you looking for in a West German Showline dog? A little bit more information may help people put you in the right direction since West German Showline breeders breed for different reasons.
I thought we were too, but after talking to a few people, a workingline dog might not be the best fit for my family. I'm just trying to explore all my options before making a final decision on things. Any information about German Showlines (particularly temperament) would be more than helpful. Oh, and the Ivan Plan is out, we're currently looking into Van Den Heuvel K9, actually.

Also confused.. I thought you wanted a PPD?
We still do, but things are becoming quite confusing lately. While looking into Van Den Heuvel K9, it turns out that Czech dogs may be more than my family can handle -- it was made very clear to me that these are strong-minded dogs that aren't suitable for beginner GSD owners. Of course, that can't be said about ALL Czech Working line dogs, but I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money on a PP-trained Czech dog only to have it become a nightmare for us to handle. Now I'm just looking into German Showlines based off of a suggestion and just for the heck of it really. If they do prove to be a better fit -- as far as temperament goes -- then I might have to persuade my family to trash the Personal Protection Dog idea.

:(
Whew, I've been trying to process so much information in the last week or so that I'm not entirely sure I've made any progress in my search.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just have a question...I know you are with your family now and will be primary caregiver of the pup ( from your previous threads) but what happens if you go off to school? Will the dog go with you?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Well more than likely any GSD(from any lines) will protect you and its family.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have a question...I know you are with your family now and will be primary caregiver of the pup ( from your previous threads) but what happens if you go off to school? Will the dog go with you?
Do you mean as in stay in a dorm?
If so, then no. I'll have a half-an-hour drive from school at the most.
=) I'll be coming home every day.

I am REALLY starting to see that now. I'm currently talking to my Dad about NOT getting a Personal Protection Trained GSD, and just getting a GSD.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Er, that's not entirely true. You really can't expect a dog to just protect you out of the blue one day just because you loved it enough.

That's not to say one wouldn't, but the ones that would are in the minority, and in the end, you don't know until the situation presents itself.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Er, that's not entirely true. You really can't expect a dog to just protect you out of the blue one day just because you loved it enough.

That's not to say one wouldn't, but the ones that would are in the minority, and in the end, you don't know until the situation presents itself.
Thats why I said more than likely, I didn't say he or she will. I was implicating the need for a PPD trained dog isn't really that necessary.

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
Do you need a dog to actually protect you and your family or simply one that will act as a deterrent?

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The thing is, that 99.9% of people only need a visual deterrent, and a GSD of any line and background can fulfill that role.

I'm glad that since Raizo and family are new to GSDs, they are starting to understand the responsibility and the commitment a PPD requires.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The thing is, that 99.9% of people only need a visual deterrent, and a GSD of any line and background can fulfill that role.

I'm glad that since Raizo and family are new to GSDs, they are starting to understand the responsibility and the commitment a PPD requires.
That is what I meant earlier.:)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Ok I have a question,,and be honest,,,since this is going to be YOUR dog, would you yourself, rather have a puppy or would you rather have an older already trained dog??

While I don't think all gsd's will naturally protect a family member(unless of course you are getting one already trained), I DO think, just having a gsd, is most times a deterrent , a BARK is a good deterrent.

Do you guys really 'need' a personal protection trained dog??

I'm so glad you are asking a ton of questions and learning about the differing lines, what they do, etc...I'm just curious what YOU want:)) and what you'd want to do with the dog if anything,,like agility, tracking, obedience,,or you just want a good buddy:))

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As much as I would like to raise and train and snuggle a GSD puppy, I think I can love a fully trained adult just as much -- but there will be less work involved. =P I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little cheerful about missing the teething stage! Yikes!

I would like to look into agility, obedience, and possibly into the herding sport (not sure what it's called but it piqued my interest greatly), and of course I want a good buddy. =)

I kinda like the idea of 'carting'. I think that's the right word for it? I'm willing to try out different sports before I really pick one I wanna focus on.

Do you guys really 'need' a personal protection trained dog??
50/50% right now. I can see us needing it, but then I can also see a few of the negatives of having one. We're leaning towards NOT getting a PPD at this point, but again, we're currently thinking things through, re-thinking things through, and then thinking them over AGAIN to figure things out. I do like the idea that simply owning a GSD would be enough of a Deterrent, especially one with a nice big BARK, could really help make ME feel safer.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting to skip the puppy route, as I get older, and with my last one, I was like "WHAT WAS I THINKING?" LOL tho I wouldn't trade her for the world!

Wanting to do agility, obed, carting, I think it would be good for you to get a somewhat older (even under a year old) ,,semi trained dog. You'd get a better idea of temperament, a better idea of physical structure soundness, and kind of what you see is what you get!

I'm sure they can be found:))

And again, I'm so impressed with you guys researching, researching,,just don't over analyze to much:)))

As I said, as long as you know what you want, and are clear with a good responsible breeder, they should be able to match you with a dog who will fit the bill:)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Raizo, if you were my kid...I'd be pretty darn proud of you. I have five children, you'd think one would want to train dogs with Dad???

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
So if you're thinking of a partially trained young adult and not a trained PPD... what about rescue? My rescue just picked up a gorgeous 2-3 year old German Showline male who's trained in German. (Which, by the way, took a little trial and error to figure out.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have West German lines and I feel like they are great dogs, if you have the time and energy to properly train and socialize them, just like any GSD. They are good with strangers and children. We have five dogs and they are great dogs, but they are a handful if you don't exercise and work with them. My dogs are very high energy. We walk our dogs at least an hour every day.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't have any breeders to recommend to you but . . .
I have owned 1 German showline dog, she was very energetic and would run for HOURS and if she didn't get a chance to run for a day watch out! She turned into a home wrecker out of boredom. Loved her though! Wouldn't change my time with her for the world. Very smart dog.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what turned in your training? doesn't a dog become bored
because you don't do enough with it? i find it hard to believe
a dog that is trained and socialized turns into a home wrecker.

I don't have any breeders to recommend to you but . . .
I have owned 1 German showline dog, she was very energetic and would run for HOURS and if she didn't get a chance to run for a day watch out! She turned into a home wrecker out of boredom. Loved her though! Wouldn't change my time with her for the world. Very smart dog.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts