German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right place.
We currently have 4 dogs, 3 are small dogs (shitzu,pom and Maltese they are all older 8,9 and 10) Shadow is our first shepherd (she's just turned 1)

I'm hooked now, I love shepherds. I would love another one, but not for a few years. Shadow would need to be older and well past puppy stage and I don't want 5 dogs or even 2 large and 2 small. Two large and one small I could handle. So we are a few years off another shepherd.

I am wondering though if we have been really lucky with Shadow. She is super friendly, calm, fairly easy to train. She has only ever pee'd in the house perhaps 2 times and that was our fault, she'd been spayed and was being confined and we weren't being as observant as we should have been. She is fantastic with kids and other dogs. We can take her to a pet shop and she will sit and watch the bunnies in the pen or touch noses, she is ok with cats, she is pretty much perfect. I'm a little worried that if/when we get another gsd pup it won't be so easy. I kinda know we lucked out, but just wondering how much we lucked out, lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Jordan is much the same. She has had 3 accidents inside all of which because I ignored the cues. She is also pretty perfect in my eyes! She is also very easy to train, and willing to learn. I am afraid when Hubby gets his GSD next year (late next year) it wont be so easy.

I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in wondering ifyou lucked out or not. I hope the real professionals have some input :)

Anyway, enjoy her! :) I know we are enjoying Jordan!

·
Registered
428 Posts
No expert here, but I feel that way about Dakota who turned 2 in July. She's been excellent! So we decided to get another GSD puppy. We got Jackie at the end of July and it's been kind of different. :) She had horrible diarrhea problems for a while that, of course, interrupted trying to get her housebroken. She is a HUGE jumper. It's amazing how this girl can jump! And she's a counter surfer. However, those are the only issues we've had. On the positive, she loves to snuggle and lay on our laps, she's got a great personality and she's very friendly with everyone. So while it hasn't been as easy as it was with Dakota, we wouldn't want to be without her. Plus she's extremely smart like Dakota, so I guess you could say we really lucked out the first time and almost completely lucked out the second time. :p

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh has been a dream to raise, Omy- our last female was the sweetest dog that ever lived. Both nearly effortless, too good to be true dogs. Then there's Uschi...the one that will make you wonder why you devote your time, energy, money and love to a dog that drives you crazy! All wonders in different ways. And yes, there are many Shadows and Jordans and Omys and Stoshs that make you marvel at your good fortune- enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts