German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we have 7 dogs again. :mad:

Against my wishes, Mom agreed to take in another dog. Her friend's girlfriend's sister is moving and her little Chihuahua/dauchshund needed a place to stay during the move, so Mom agreed to take her for a few days. Well, the owner dumped her with us after Mom got her home. And NONE of the six dogs liked her. They all wanted to eat her.
So Mom put her in a crate upstairs in her room last night. Where she screamed and cried. ALL NIGHT.

They did better with her today, but they're still staying separated.

I am SO MAD at my mom! She brought in another dog after I told her NO MORE DOGS with Gracie! And look what happened. UGH.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Is your mom capable of saying no to anyone other than you? I remember reading your other posts about how your mom is willing and ready to take dogs in, but how she won't really help you with their exercise, training, etc.

My only hope for this is for that little dog to be adopted out to the right people asap.

Is there any way to get your mom not to accept anymore dogs?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
No offence but I haven't even meet your mother but she is stressing me out just by reading your messages on the form. LOL.... I'm so sorry. She sounds just like my mother too. Can't ever say no.... eaither. She means well but probably doing more harm that good in the long run. To much stress on you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :D

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
It sounds like your Mom is an addict. And if you are picking up the pieces, then you are enabling her by doing all the work that she is creating. :( She really needs to learn the limits of what SHE can handle. Maybe it's time to stop...just stop helping her with this. Let her do the work.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
No offence but I haven't even meet your mother but she is stressing me out just by reading your messages on the form. LOL.... I'm so sorry. She sounds just like my mother too. Can't ever say no.... eaither. She means well but probably doing more harm that good in the long run. To much stress on you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :D
Same here!

UGH! I kinda what to shake her!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sounds like as long as she is in her MOMS home, HER vote doesn't count.

·
5,627 Posts
It sounds like your Mom is an addict. And if you are picking up the pieces, then you are enabling her by doing all the work that she is creating. :( She really needs to learn the limits of what SHE can handle. Maybe it's time to stop...just stop helping her with this. Let her do the work.
:thumbup: x 10

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
And she said no to a gsd but brought home a pitty and a other large mix? That's kinda contraditory is it not? I would be PO'd too. She can bring home the dogs she wants for you to care for but whn its a dog you want and will care for she said no :shocked:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already told her (since she texted me when I was at work that she picked her up) that I will have nothing to do with this dog. She is HER responsibility this time, since she decided to bring her in. Hopefully she learns something from it, but I'm doubting it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Wow - look at the bright side - it could have been a St. Bernard! LOL!:):)

·
Registered
728 Posts
It sounds like your mom is a borderline hoarder.

Think about it - if you weren't there, the dogs would not be trained, or taken care of. YOU do everything. YOU keep her from having 20 dogs, I think. If you left the house, I think she'd accumulate a lot more, and the quality of care would decrease.

You need to do something. This has got to stop, 7 dogs is ludicrous for you guys right now. I think you really need to think about moving out again, this is going to end up dragging you down forever.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Show her some episodes of that show about animal hoarding...
I'd rather not. She gets FURIOUS when people comment about how many dogs she has or say she's going to be an animal hoarder.

She says, "They're all taken care of and have a good, loving home."

If it weren't for me, it would be total, utter chaos. When I'm gone, reality is going to hit her hard.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is, incidentally, what all of the hoarders on that show say when confronted.
Unfortunately, I've noticed the same pattern.

However, I know she won't let them go hungry or fight with each other and try to kill each other or live in filth like the animals on that show. However, I'm not trying to justify her taking in every dog that needs help, because eventually, she'll get overwhelmed.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Unfortunately, I've noticed the same pattern.

However, I know she won't let them go hungry or fight with each other and try to kill each other or live in filth like the animals on that show. However, I'm not trying to justify her taking in every dog that needs help, because eventually, she'll get overwhelmed.
Unfortunately, "she" won't get overwhelmed, but it sounds like YOU are the one that has been overwhelmed.
I don't envy your position, but I agree with a previous poster. You have to let her do it on her own.
It's wonderful that you are so helpful and have put up with some of the nonsense, but it appears to be having negative consequences for you, not her. Until you "make" her handle this mess herself, she has no incentive to stop taking in every dog that needs help. She's being very generous with your time and effort.

I'm sure you know peers of yours who's parents constantly get them out of trouble or give in to everything they want and I bet it drives you nuts because your peers are never going to learn if there are no consequences for their actions. As unfortunate as it is, you're in the same circumstance. Your mother has no incentive to stop her behavior and it sounds like you are nearing the end of your rope.

Good luck and I hope you and your mom can work out something.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts