German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have owned German Shepherds since 1994. We've had two since then which have both passed due to old age and natural causes. Both were purebreds. A Purebred Black Shepherd... Rambo 1994-2002 and Ceasar 2002-2015.

We are about to pick up a black shepherd on Saturday and since it has been so long since I raised a pup.... I've either forgotten... or wondering that I dont know everything... We only do this once every 10-12 years!

SO..... here is my situation and questions:

1) We live in the country... on a dead end... bordered by a Horse Ranch and a Farm. We have 5 Acres. Our nearest neighbor is about 400 yards away.... but Dogs roam! Ours did. Electric fences never worked, and anytime they were out... they would randomly decide to go exploring.

Our nearest neighbor lost a young female Sable Shepherd when it wondered 1/4 mile down to the main road and was struck by a car.

SO... While I cannot afford to fence off our entire property... I have lots of space in the back to make a large and very long fenced in "Pen" area. Say... 10 yards by 30 yards. I can go as big as required... but then Fencing is $87/sqft + poles for 50 feet. So.. whats an ideal size pen for a Shepherd to enjoy the outdoors safely?

My reason for the Pen is because I dont want the dog to become a 24/7 "House" Dog... I want the dog to be able to spend hours every day outdoors in his secured pen with a dog house.... and then bring him in the house at night... or during hot weather.... bad weather..etc..

Also, puppy training:

We have an area immediately adjacent to our Deck, behind our house where I want to build a temporary puppy pen, using heavy aluminum stakes and 4' high heavy steel wire fencing. Im thinking this way... I can train the puppy to be outside... and learn to poop outside...

Obviously, as an 8 week old pup... this outdoor time needs to be limited to short sessions.... because he needs care and love to adjust to his new home.

We are parents of two children and been through the Shepherd raising twice...

I suppose Im just rusty.... I want to try and see things Im not thinking of... and have someone tell me if there is something fundamentally wrong with my thinking.

Any comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Its great to be here on this forum.

Kindly,

John Patrick.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
My mom lived on 5 acres and they fenced about and acre of it, their "backyard", for their dogs. I know they used 4 foot chain link, which would not stop a Shepherd that wanted out. But the way they did it was cool. They fenced a small area when the dogs were young and just kept expanding it a bit at a time, so there was no huge cost all at once.
As far as a puppy pen outside, I wouldn't leave a puppy outside. That's my opinion. I crate train and keep puppies close to me while they learn and grow. House training is not difficult, and I feel better knowing the babies are close at hand. It helps with bonding and development.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. -About leaving a puppy outside for any period of time longer than 30 minutes.....Obviously, we are going to treat him like a newborn. My intent with the secured outdoor space is to acclimate him gradually to being on his own outside. But Im in no rush. God knows for the next several months he'll be inside most of the day, with encouraged playtime outside with my kids many times a day.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
10y x 30y is plenty to keep your dog safe and room! You can make a nice looking fence with wood posts and welded wire fencing, boards on top and bottom for stability and aesthetics. I would make it a minimum of 5' high. 6' is preferable.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
10y x 30y is plenty to keep your dog safe and room! You can make a nice looking fence with wood posts and welded wire fencing, boards on top and bottom for stability and aesthetics. I would make it a minimum of 5' high. 6' is preferable.
I agree, also, a rectangle gives the dog more room to break out in a run playing ball etc. as opposed to using the same sq. footage to create a square enclosure.

Something you might want to consider is digging down a foot or so and putting gravel along the fence line. It'll help to discourage the dog from digging under the fence. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
after speaking with the fence company about our dream idea for a fence...and then being stunned by the price... we ended up using heavy gauge black coated 5 foot chain link with a tension wire across the bottom and a solid top. We fenced in about an acre at a time, we have 2 1/3 acres. I bet our boy could jump this if he really had the mind to but we don't let him know this. So far it has worked great, and we never really leave our dogs out unwatched. Someday I might try and install a door with a dog door so that our pair can go in and out to the patio on nice days.

and congrats on the new pup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts