German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger and I are going to be taking a road trip from Michigan to nola in May! We are stopping in Little Rock to visit a friend, and then doing a training workshop once we get to New Orleans! On the way home we are picking up a rescue dog and taking him to his new home in Michigan.

We're staying at the state park, probably sleeping in the truck (because I have insect-phobia, and that includes bedbugs in hotels) and our training workshop takes place just outside the French Quarter. I am so excited!!

In the meantime, we are going to start bringing Ruger to more crowded areas so he gets used to being around a lot of commotion. He is so stable and good but I think being in a truck for 16+ hours and then suddenly being in a big crowd on Canal Street would be enough to send even the most stable dog into a meltdown.

Anyone ever travel to nola with your dog(s)? Anything I should definitely check out, or avoid?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've stood in the French Quarter for a week before. Was there for the Anne Rice Vampire Ball and Halloween. Didn't have a dog with me, though.

Try doing a horse drawn tour around the city. Sightseeing and history! Apparently, the city has been on fire a few times.

Bourbon Street is like nothing else. Was literally a 24/7 party that never ends. People walk around & drink on the street going from one bar to another. Might and day.
While on the carriage, they stopped at a bar for us and we were touring with drinks in hand. lol

Doorways suck if you're tall. Something like the water level keeps raising, so they just keep building the ground higher and higher. So you kind of duck to enter, and the ground inside is lower than it is outside.

There is some convent there with a creepy history. Forget the name of it. The church has refused to allow anyone to see into the attic ever since something happened. People believe bad stuff goes on in there.

If you like BBQ, I'd go to a restaurant called Ol' Nawlins (or something like that; it is far down Bourbon Street, closer to the city).

Lots of cool stuff at gift shops.

Some good street music.

Be careful wandering around at night. You are in a major city.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I just did a ten hour down and twelve hour trip back. It helped to travel at night. Two dogs slept the entire way. And when I had to stop to sleep, they slept.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
The Quarter tends to be pretty dog friendly, as long as the dogs are well socialized (narrow streets and side walks, lots of people sometimes). I personally avoid Bourbon St (nothing but drunk tourists), but there are lots of other lovely places to wander in the Quarter.

Any cafe or restaurant with outdoor seating is likely to be fair game with your dog, as long as the dog will just lie down next to you. We like to eat at the Green Goddess in the Quarter (they have lots of outdoor seating), and I'm pretty sure I've seen a dog at a patron's table there (call to check).

A word about crime: New Orleans isn't "just" a major city--it's one with one of the highest crime rates in the nation. Pay for secure parking--don't park on the street (out of state plates tag you as a tourist, so you'll attract car burglars). Stay out of dark, empty alleys as cut-throughs to the larger streets--stay where the people are, even during day time (muggings in the quarter are a serious problem--it's bad enough I don't like to go to music shows in the Quarter after dark).

There's also 2 Camp Bow Wows in the NO area (one in Metairie, a suburb), so if your dog gets along with other dogs and passes their temp test, you can drop off for the day (or half-day) while you sight-see or shop. We do that a lot when we travel with dogs -- once you're in the Camp Bow Wow computer, the dogs can go to any location nationwide. Day-boarding makes travel SO much easier sometimes--it seems to help them decompress too, after a day in the car.

Also, in May, there will be bugs in any state park in Louisiana. Bring your favorite mosquito repellent, and be sure the dogs are on HW prevention and good flea prevention. If the dogs are going to be working outside or walking in the park in the early evening, I'd spray them with Wondercide to keep them comfortable.

If you usually use Frontline, consider switching to something else for this trip: Cajun fleas seem to laugh at Frontline!

If you usually use Heartguard/Iverheart/Tri-Heart, you might talk to your vet about the fact that you are traveling through the Land of Ivermectin Resistance. I don't want to scare you, as the resistant strain is still relatively rare, but I also want to get the word out to help keep it from spreading. It's here, and it's real.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the advice! We've actually changed plans and will be staying at a hotel, so hopefully the flea issue won't be too bad. I use seresto collars for fleas and ticks, I wonder if the southern fleas are immune to that yet? (Fleas here in Michigan are immune to frontline and starting to be immune to K9 advantix too. Ugh.) I will ask my vet about the heartworm too. We have them on ivermectin year round but I don't want to take any chances.

I am coming from a very small, rural area. My town has fewer than 500 people in it. So this is going to be huge culture shock. I am excited for it! But a little scared too. I always carry pepper spray and a baton, because here, I have to worry about wild animals. I am going to have to check the laws in Louisiana to see if I can legally carry those.

Is Uber or Lyft safe to use in NOLA? I thought I would probably have better luck getting a pet friendly Uber than a cab. I am staying in Algiers and our training is in Marigny, only about a block east of the French Quarter. But I will definitely need a ride into Marigny. Our training starts at 10:00 am Saturday and Sunday and the ferry doesn't go till 10:30, so that's not an option in the morning.

The Quarter tends to be pretty dog friendly, as long as the dogs are well socialized (narrow streets and side walks, lots of people sometimes). I personally avoid Bourbon St (nothing but drunk tourists), but there are lots of other lovely places to wander in the Quarter.

Any cafe or restaurant with outdoor seating is likely to be fair game with your dog, as long as the dog will just lie down next to you. We like to eat at the Green Goddess in the Quarter (they have lots of outdoor seating), and I'm pretty sure I've seen a dog at a patron's table there (call to check).

A word about crime: New Orleans isn't "just" a major city--it's one with one of the highest crime rates in the nation. Pay for secure parking--don't park on the street (out of state plates tag you as a tourist, so you'll attract car burglars). Stay out of dark, empty alleys as cut-throughs to the larger streets--stay where the people are, even during day time (muggings in the quarter are a serious problem--it's bad enough I don't like to go to music shows in the Quarter after dark).

There's also 2 Camp Bow Wows in the NO area (one in Metairie, a suburb), so if your dog gets along with other dogs and passes their temp test, you can drop off for the day (or half-day) while you sight-see or shop. We do that a lot when we travel with dogs -- once you're in the Camp Bow Wow computer, the dogs can go to any location nationwide. Day-boarding makes travel SO much easier sometimes--it seems to help them decompress too, after a day in the car.

Also, in May, there will be bugs in any state park in Louisiana. Bring your favorite mosquito repellent, and be sure the dogs are on HW prevention and good flea prevention. If the dogs are going to be working outside or walking in the park in the early evening, I'd spray them with Wondercide to keep them comfortable.

If you usually use Frontline, consider switching to something else for this trip: Cajun fleas seem to laugh at Frontline!

If you usually use Heartguard/Iverheart/Tri-Heart, you might talk to your vet about the fact that you are traveling through the Land of Ivermectin Resistance. I don't want to scare you, as the resistant strain is still relatively rare, but I also want to get the word out to help keep it from spreading. It's here, and it's real.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts