German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little one, Eva, (8 wks 3 days) is turning out to be such a joy! We went today to an event with tons of people and dogs. She was really happy to see everyone and oh my goodness does she love the kids! She was super friendly with the other dogs - who were all very patient with the puppy - and she was being playful, showing no fear, even with dogs who were HUGE!

About every 30 minutes or a little less, we would take her away from everyone and just let her chill for a few. This seemed to keep her calm and let her re-group and then she was raring to go again!

Do you take your puppy out to events (this was an outside art show) and how do you handle all the people/dogs/attention?

Would love to know if we're doing anything we shouldn't.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
It sounds like she had a ball! Socialization early on is a great thing and I'm glad she handled it so well, but...

Judging by her age she hasn't received all of her puppy shots yet which are a must before taking pups out in public where other dogs could have been or are! They can pick up deadly diseases from the ground before they get all their vaccines so carrying pups in public is a good idea beforehand to make sure they still get all their socialization, but no risk of disease.

I would watch Eva like a hawk until she gets all of her shots. Look for lethargy, loss of appetite, bloody stool, or vomiting. First sign of any of them and I'd get her to the vet asap for a parvo test.

To your original question; yes, we take our dog out to events all the time. For parades, get togethers, dog events (expos, halloween contest parties, etc), and just out to the store for training. He handles people great and loves dogs but can become reactive around them so we keep our distance until he's calmed down a bit. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Taking her out and about is a great idea and good to do. Only thing I would caution you about is that she probably hasn't had all of her puppy vaccinations. Taking her around other dogs before she's been vaccinated could be a little risky. I was told to wait at least two weeks after my Lexi's last series of shots before taking her to places where other dogs were or had been.

Also, just an observation (not trying to pick on you) you might want to move her tag to one of the metal rings to the right or left of that o ring that you clip her lead on (where the tag is now). If her tag gets caught on something, she could choke.

Eva is totally adorable, by the way! :wub: What a doll!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Also, just an observation (not trying to pick on you) you might want to move her tag to one of the metal rings to the right or left of that o ring that you clip her lead on (where the tag is now). If her tag gets caught on something, she could choke.
This reminds me. I was going to say that her collar is WAY too loose and could easily slip off or hurt her if she got her jaw or leg stuck in it playing around. Tighten that bad boy up or take it off when you're not watching her. If you aren't already, that is. ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Morning! Yes, her collar is off when she's not being actively watched. It's a Martingale, which I really like as it can't choke her on-lead, but it is definitely off - even though it was on that day at my daughter's because we unclipped her for some pics!

I will definitely watch her and limit the doggy areas a bit until she gets her last shots. We're not letting her actually nose the dogs we don't know, but see and smell (for a bit of a distance). Mostly it's to let her meet all sizes and shapes of people. Her feet barely hit the ground yesterday with my two daughters there, the hubby and me.

I really appreciate the info!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Well, we require that pups be at least 7 days past their second set of boosters. We copied this from Dr. Ian Dunbar at Sirius Dog Training. He is a vet AND a licensed behaviorist, so we tend to go to him with medical questions that can also effect behavior. Usually most pups get their first set at 6 weeks, 2nd set at 9 weeks, so can start socializing at 10 weeks (assuming they are healthy otherwise).
Dr. Dunbar says waiting until the final shots means you are missing a huge part of early socialization which is very beneficial between 10-16 weeks. He was also on the board of the AVMA and advised regarding vaccine protocol.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Morning! Yes, her collar is off when she's not being actively watched. It's a Martingale, which I really like as it can't choke her on-lead, but it is definitely off - even though it was on that day at my daughter's because we unclipped her for some pics!

I will definitely watch her and limit the doggy areas a bit until she gets her last shots. We're not letting her actually nose the dogs we don't know, but see and smell (for a bit of a distance). Mostly it's to let her meet all sizes and shapes of people. Her feet barely hit the ground yesterday with my two daughters there, the hubby and me.

I really appreciate the info!
It's the ground - parvo that really is a concern, as much as the sniffing nose to nose kind of stuff. That's why places like Petsmart aren't so great.

:) She's adorable.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we require that pups be at least 7 days past their second set of boosters. We copied this from Dr. Ian Dunbar at Sirius Dog Training. He is a vet AND a licensed behaviorist, so we tend to go to him with medical questions that can also effect behavior. Usually most pups get their first set at 6 weeks, 2nd set at 9 weeks, so can start socializing at 10 weeks (assuming they are healthy otherwise).
Dr. Dunbar says waiting until the final shots means you are missing a huge part of early socialization which is very beneficial between 10-16 weeks. He was also on the board of the AVMA and advised regarding vaccine protocol.

Good to know. She's had her second set of shots, but I will definitely continue to be careful. I don't want her to get sick or have bad "dog-to-dog" experiences.

I have fallen so "in love" with the puppy! Never had a GSD before, and even though Eva is half-chow, she's not showing any of those characteristics (although they are pretty great dogs too, just not very social - from what I know :eek: ).

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Good to know. She's had her second set of shots, but I will definitely continue to be careful. I don't want her to get sick or have bad "dog-to-dog" experiences.
I just wanted to make sure you understand the risks of taking her out on the ground AT ALL until she's gotten her shots. Parvo lives on the ground from where other dogs have peed within the last year. So even if she's on the ground but AWAY from the dogs, she can still get it. If not caught right away it's usually fatal. Working in rescue, I only see about 25% of puppies survive it. It's a little bit worse than just getting sick, unfortunately, and it's a real concern.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's really true, I'd hate to see your gorgeous girl get sick. It's a real concern especially now, my equine vet told me that people aren't vaccinating as much or sometimes at all because of the tough economic times, I know it's the same way with dog owners, they're skipping vet visits if they can't afford them anymore. So there could be sick dogs in those areas you take her - there's always time for socialization once the shots are over and a bit of time has passed. She's friendly so I don't think it'll be an issue and in the meantime, better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having a dog that is perfect healthy physically but mentally unstable due to lack of socialization is equally dangerous. My pup has been socialized since the first day we brought him home at 8 weeks, albeit with careful watch and playing with dogs that we know are safe and keeping him away from pet stores. We have never restricted him from doing anything. An agressive dog that is fearful of everything and everyone bceause they have missed that puppy socialization window is not only a hazard to others but a hazard to the pup which is incrementally more dangerous than the risk of catching something.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I took Jake to the pet stores at 9 weeks but put him the buggy....;)
I figured he was still getting all the noises and people, sights and smells but was protected.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Is Parvo airborne? Or do they have to walk on infected floors/dirt/grass to contract it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts