German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to our first training class last night after having the hardest time trying to find a trainer!!

We ended up finding a training facility that is a bit over an hour drive and it is clicker training. I have read both good and bad, but I was just happy to finally get into a training program so we are going to give it a shot.

We are going to training because Pepsi gets frightened and protective on the leash and will either shake, submissively urinate, or (usually) bark aggressively at certain people.

We spoke to the trainer and she evaluated Pepsi and felt we should join the basic obedience class to get her used to being around more people and to boost her confidence. Her whole body was shaking when we first went into the class but she calmed down pretty quickly. Pepsi is four and the rest of the class was puppies. We just learned to sit and walk nicely on a leash (which she knows already) but we enjoyed ourselves anyway. I think it went well.

At the end of the class, the trainer would slowly get closer to us as i gave Pepsi treats, hoping Pepsi will get used to the idea that other people are fine, and she gets treats when other people are around. The trainer did not get too close to us, but pepsi did not bark at all or anything at her! The trainer also avoided eye contact with her (I guess Pepsi tried to challenge her by staring a few times)

As I mentioned, I look forward to continuing training and I hope all goes well, and Pepsi gains some confidence!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Awesome!

Before I got my first dog Kenya I audited a training class (yes I am a nerd). It was also mostly puppies but there was one 220lb mastiff dog. The dog was very calm and already obedience trained but the owner said it needed more exposure to dogs and people so they just went through the motions, bringing the dog out of her shell.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Good job! I love reading/hearing of owners who will take the time to help their pupper out!
It sounds like you had a positive night.

Keep us updated on Pepsi's progress.

Best Wishes;
Ang

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We went to our second class last night and she did much better. She did not shake at all, and at the end there was even a little tail wagging. The instructor worked on casually getting closer while i gave her treats. Although she kept trying to look at the instructor out of the corner of her eye she did not get overly excited or aggressive and just kept eating her chicken.
We're enjoying it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts