German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a class just to oberserve. I missed the tracking portion but was there for agility and bite work. My dog was very calm and relaxed and even played with some of the dogs. But during the bite work, he tucked tail at the sound of the whip. The trainer gave me some ponters and I am woking on it, but WOW. an eye opening experience.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I'm surprised they let the dogs interact with each other....

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You joining the club? Keep us updated on your progress and photos are great too!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This place is an all around place. He trains for everything, it seems. I saw one dog doing agility (frisbee/ramps) and then to bite work right afterwards. It was amazing. I know he said he was going to be opening a day for strictly SchH. Many people had thier dogs crated. Others, like mine, were leashed with me. I asked if it was ok to bring mine out to see his reaction and that is when he brought me on the field and worked off to the side to get Aspen not so sensative to the whip sounds.

When I 1st arrived he was working with a dog that was just adopted and very aggressive. It was truely eye opening.

I wouldnt consider this place a club, but rather just training (pay by the day). I work on the weekends and so my weekends are limited, but he will work around them. He sends us home with homework and picks back up the next time I go there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, thanks Maggie. I will. I am going to start with general socialization and obiedience. I am going to work into the bite-work later. It seems Aspen has started a flight and fear stage that I am working to get him out of (been about 1.5 weeks of this). One of the "tricks" that he had me do when Aspen was fearful of the "crack" (of the whip) is to keep him moving and then to wag his tail for him. It was rather comical. I just hope no cameras were going while I was doing that. I know several people were laughing at me.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Well whatever you find is the right calling for you and Aspen, have fun doing it! Taking him out and about and learning new things can only help. The place you went to sounds interesting and the trainer encouraging and helpful. Keep it up and I'm sure you will see a lot of improvement with time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts