German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to an AKC show today to support some friends that were doing obedience. It was fun. This is a decent size three day show of all breeds. It was fun looking at all the differences in the breeds. Unfortunately for us this great looking BC kicked our buts!

On our way out we decided to look though the vendors and what not. Well this guy started asking us about our (my GF and my dogs) dogs so we told him we have two GSD's and a APBT. He asked about the APBT. He asked "Does he have cropped ears?" I replied "No". He then proceeds to tell us that our dog is a Staffordshire Terrier because he doesn't have cropped ears and according to AKC if the ears are not cropped then it's a staffie. Um... No dude. First off they are two different breeds. Second of all, as far as I know the AKC doesn't recognize the APBT so.... He then goes on about how people don't like hearing they don't have a pit and blah blah blah. What an idiot! That's like saying a Dobie with natural ears isn't a Dobie or a Rottie with a tail isn't a Rottie. People (and their attitudes) kill me at these things.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Wow, that is... some... creative? reasoning that guy had.

Cropped ears change a dog's breed, hmm, I'll be sure to remember that... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was selling earrings and necklaces of different dog breeds. A friend of ours has some GSD earrings and I thought maybe the GF would like some. Definitely not after the comments he made. Plus his prices were outrageous. For a GSD charm type thing he wanted $625. No way! It was cute but not that cute. Who in their right mind would pay that?

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
There are loonies in all venues. Just ignore them. Don't let them spoil your day. You know who your dogs are. You can call them Martians if you like and it won't bother them at all.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
He was selling earrings and necklaces of different dog breeds. A friend of ours has some GSD earrings and I thought maybe the GF would like some. Definitely not after the comments he made. Plus his prices were outrageous. For a GSD charm type thing he wanted $625. No way! It was cute but not that cute. Who in their right mind would pay that?
SIX... HUNDRED... TWENTY FIVE? Dear lord. I hope they were cast in platinum by red haired, green eyed virgins from Japan.

But again, congrats on a successful AKC show. :p

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's hilarious. People are so odd. We just had a 3 day AKC thing here in CA too. I wanted to go check it out but never made it down :( do you how often do they have events like that?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's hilarious. People are so odd. We just had a 3 day AKC thing here in CA too. I wanted to go check it out but never made it down :( do you how often do they have events like that?

I'm in CA. There seem to be an AKC show every month around here. I recommend checking them out. Definitely a different world from bite sports but I have enjoyed them for the most part. My IPO and SDA people do AKC obedience as well. So it's just something else fun to do and get trial experience. Now the show ring is.... Let's just say a place I don't ever want to be a part of.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I thought people said staffordshire terrier, because didn't want to say pit bull. A friend had a senior staffordshire. When he introduced me to Winston, I said this is a pitbull. Guess I owe him and Winston an apology.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
So if you cut a dog's ears or tail off, it changes their blood/breed? Haha. That's like saying that shaving a Pom turns it into a Chihuahua! Ridiculous. Like his prices. WOW.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The stupid things people say always amaze me. I have had people tell me that Raina isn't a German Shepherd at all, that she is either a Terv or collie or something else. Some have even insisted that I don't know what kind of dog I have. Obviously these people have never seen a coated GSD - their stupidity can be entertaining at times. When I inform them she flew over on Luftansa from Germany where a friend got her for me they are even more sure that I don't know what kind of dog I have. Excuse me - the mile long pink papers I have that show her generations is enough proof for me. My friend picks and ships GSD's for K9 training in the US and has a long history of success.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I went to that show too! I saw the guy with the jewelry, had some cute stuff--I didn't notice the prices cause I'm not in the market for jewelry, and now knowing what an idiot he is I wouldn't buy from him anyway.

I do like going to AKC shows especially for the vendors. The Gridley show was light on vendors this year, but fortunately, Shear Delight was there to sharpen my clipper blades! They also have some great grooming stuff, stuff that's hard to find anywhere else.

As a professional groomer, it's also important for me to stay abreast of the latest grooming styles for each breed. Even though the written standard stays the same, the grooming styles change (sometimes dramatically) over time, so I like to go and take photos of the different breeds, talk to their handlers, etc about how things have changed within the past few years.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm in CA. There seem to be an AKC show every month around here. I recommend checking them out. Definitely a different world from bite sports but I have enjoyed them for the most part. My IPO and SDA people do AKC obedience as well. So it's just something else fun to do and get trial experience. Now the show ring is.... Let's just say a place I don't ever want to be a part of.
Oh! So you went to the Pomona one? At the fair grounds. Yah I have no interest in showing, as well.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
AKC recognizes the American Staffordshire Terrier(amstaff) and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Two completely different breeds.
The Amstaff can be shown with both cropped and uncropped ears.
The Staffordshire Bull terrier has either rose or half pricked ears.They are much smaller than the Amstaff.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
I think you should post a picture of your apbt and.or staffodshire and let us,(the experts) decide, lol. haven't seen a picture of him in a while.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The point wasn't as much that my dog is this breed or that breed. More that he said cropping ears changes the breed of the dog. Now, for some Darcey pictures:D

Hard at work

This is us from last week. I'm trialing him next weekend. He's doing great considering I've only been working him a couple weeks in prep for the trial. Waiting on the puppy to grow up so Darcey is my fill in trial dog haha.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
He's a cutie! I love that great big pittie smile.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The stupid things people say always amaze me. I have had people tell me that Raina isn't a German Shepherd at all, that she is either a Terv or collie or something else. Some have even insisted that I don't know what kind of dog I have. Obviously these people have never seen a coated GSD - their stupidity can be entertaining at times. When I inform them she flew over on Luftansa from Germany where a friend got her for me they are even more sure that I don't know what kind of dog I have. Excuse me - the mile long pink papers I have that show her generations is enough proof for me. My friend picks and ships GSD's for K9 training in the US and has a long history of success.

LOL! It didn't look like the one on the USPS dog bite flyer so it certainly wasn't a GSD. I always fake a text message and leave stupid alone! Try it, it works!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Your dog is sooo cute. The facial expression reminds me so much of my niece's pit (she's a solid white). She's friendly to everyone and velcroed to my niece when she's home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts