German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Fraserglen’s has a litter due next week.
I am not ready to get a puppy that soon, just trying to talk to breeders. Plus, I have not gotten a response from Sheena in a week and a bit now. Though she is an option... Some people are telling me to stay away because they do not title their dogs.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Near Ottawa!
That is what I thought. If you are interested in PP reach out to Shield K9. They are way down by Kitchener, I think, but may have some thoughts for you. And will give you good info.
As for breeders, sounds like you have made a decision.
Next time I head for Ottawa I will give you a shout.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That is what I thought. If you are interested in PP reach out to Shield K9. They are way down by Kitchener, I think, but may have some thoughts for you. And will give you good info.
As for breeders, sounds like you have made a decision.
Next time I head for Ottawa I will give you a shout.
For sure! Actually, one of the breeders I am talking to is in Quebec, the other is not far from where I live.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think you may be benefit from asking other people here what they like and want in a dog and what they don’t. That will help you figure out what you want in a dog I think, and help you find a breeder. It may sound like some of our dogs are similar, but I there sometimes is a word of difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I think you may be benefit from asking other people here what they like and want in a dog and what they don’t. That will help you figure out what you want in a dog I think, and help you find a breeder. It may sound like some of our dogs are similar, but I there sometimes is a word of difference.
Question, is the off switch needed in a good workingline? Breeder says the female she is breeding has no off switch but a good family dog, I asked for more info but what is your opinion?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Question, is the off switch needed in a good workingline? Breeder says the female she is breeding has no off switch but a good family dog, I asked for more info but what is your opinion?
Depends on what your definition of an off switch and good working line is. I wouldn’t say it’s needed, but it’s a flaw to not be able to settle in my opinion. My dogs live inside with me. They need to relax when I want them to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Depends on what your definition of an off switch and good working line is. I wouldn’t say it’s needed, but it’s a flaw to not be able to settle in my opinion. My dogs live inside with me. They need to relax when I want them to.
I agree completely!

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
Valor has had one from the start. I sometimes wonder if his good behavior in the car and off switch has anything to do with his long trip home.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Valor has had one from the start. I sometimes wonder if his good behavior in the car and off switch has anything to do with his long trip home.
I have learnt a lot from this post actually David. The amount of people that have contacted me... it surprised me.

[Edit: Comments removed by Moderator] Edit by Matt - DM me if you want my opinion on the breeder.

Good breeders like Fraserglen as well as I am sure many others, you get dogs that are naturally confident and ready to go. All of the dogs coming from Fraserglen... not one has been ridden of anxiety, all confident and collected.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
IMO, the term off switch is very poorly operationally defined in term of behavior and from an ethological POV. Some dogs need to have training and maturity in order to settle. Some dogs are less high drive. Some dogs are hyperactive due to training and or genetics. It is not as black and white as a dog having an “off switch” which really has no meaning. Some dogs don’t have any leadership or their handlers have no or poor commitment to training. Hyperactivity and drive are not the same thing but can look similar in young pups. Impulse control, native intelligence, training and environmental factors all contribute to a dog’s behavior. I see a lot of nice dogs who have been trained to have hectic drive. Some dogs are genetically hectic. I would say that in general, a pup that has a so called off switch at an early age is a lower prey drive dog. That doesn’t equate with a dog that is lacking. It depends on your goals with the dog. Also, some dogs/lines don’t show strong prey drive until they are a few months old and occasionally even later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have learnt a lot from this post actually David. The amount of people that have contacted me... it surprised me.

[Edit: Comments removed by Moderator] Edit by Matt - DM me if you want my opinion on the breeder.

Good breeders like Fraserglen as well as I am sure many others, you get dogs that are naturally confident and ready to go. All of the dogs coming from Fraserglen... not one has been ridden of anxiety, all confident and collected.
Can anyone here tell me what normal versus abnormal anxiety looks like in German Shepherd? This isn't a trick question. Just curious what criteria or behaviors people are using to label a dog anxious.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If you have a GSD that is displaying behaviors that you think are abnormal anxiety, describe them and you will get a more reliable answer to your question. Solid pups show little to no fear about basic things such as a broom falling next to them or smacking the ground when doing bite work. If they do, it is quickly extinguished with good training.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
IMO, the term off switch is very poorly operationally defined in term of behavior and from an ethological POV. Some dogs need to have training and maturity in order to settle. Some dogs are less high drive. Some dogs are hyperactive due to training and or genetics. It is not as black and white as a dog having an “off switch” which really has no meaning. Some dogs don’t have any leadership or their handlers have no or poor commitment to training. Hyperactivity and drive are not the same thing but can look similar in young pups. Impulse control, native intelligence, training and environmental factors all contribute to a dog’s behavior. I see a lot of nice dogs who have been trained to have hectic drive. Some dogs are genetically hectic. I would say that in general, a pup that has a so called off switch at an early age is a lower prey drive dog. That doesn’t equate with a dog that is lacking. It depends on your goals with the dog. Also, some dogs/lines don’t show strong prey drive until they are a few months old and occasionally even later.
I agree with this somewhat, with the exception of lack of prey drive.

I have 2 GSDs. Both get the same amount of activity and have the same training, for the most part. [email protected] months, [email protected] years. Valor can run the older dog into the ground on a hike or retrieving. Valor has far more prey drive, hits a tug harder, is much snapper in OB, and is more forward to a threat. He is not hectic but could be if trained poorly. The older dog is far more active in the house and needs management, place command / kennel. Valor will just chill, because it's time to chill, unless the older dog won't leave him alone.

That's what I mean about an off switch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Can anyone here tell me what normal versus abnormal anxiety looks like in German Shepherd? This isn't a trick question. Just curious what criteria or behaviors people are using to label a dog anxious.
reactive to things

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
reactive to things
Reactive in what way? Reactive to what? Are they able to recover? Do they have high suspicion but are able to still be stable? Or are you just talking crap nerves and fear that can't leave their homes? What do you consider "anxious" that is unacceptable? Btw...the term is actually "nerve" not anxious.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts