German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do you have any previous experience? What type of dog is it that you like?
I have been with GSD for the last couple years, friends have them and have learnt a lot about them, basically live with one right now haha since I am always over at their house.

Type of dog I like? I really just want a confident ready to go GSD. Be able to go on hikes, swimming, dock diving, obedience, scent work etc. Nothing competitive but be able to try different things. But the most important thing is the want and drive to do things with me as much as I will with it and to have a great bond I suppose.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Though I have talked to Unlimited, she gets 100's of emails and any dog from her would be great but I have no chance of getting an upcoming pup anytime soon.

I am not sure who Wolfstraum is, are they a breeder?
She is a breeder as well. They would have a better idea than me of what to expect from these breedings, especially since of them used the same sire. To me it seems like a lot of dog for you. I could be wrong though, they would know better. What are the shepherds you are around like?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
She is a breeder as well. They would have a better idea than me of what to expect from these breedings, especially since of them used the same sire. To me it seems like a lot of dog for you. I could be wrong though, they would know better. What are the shepherds you are around like?
The one I am around is a Canadian Showline. She is crazy, super lazy until she gets moving and playing. She isnt very well trained outside though and jumps all over you. I still really like her though. She has a really high prey drive and in fact killed one of their cats. Her dad was a very aggressive dog and the litter should never have happened. But she is very sweet to people when she gets to know you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have no doubt that Christine would be able to pick the right pup for you based on your plans for the dog! She would be my pick for a breeder in that area.
I worry about the anxiety. I want to be able to do Personal Protection but also be able to not worry if the dog has to go to a boarding for a day or so if something happens. I need a really well balanced dog.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you PM me I can give you some input. Not personal with Wendelin but I was given excellent advice by a breeder in the Ottawa area who only breeds one litter if that a year. She was incredibly helpful and it really helped me with my search. There are a lot of options if you know where to start.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you PM me I can give you some input. Not personal with Wendelin but I was given excellent advice by a breeder in the Ottawa area who only breeds one litter if that a year. She was incredibly helpful and it really helped me with my search. There are a lot of options if you know where to start.
PMing right now.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Good luck finding someone who isn’t clueless about PP training, plus you need a very special dog to have a good one. Lot of hacks training poor quality dogs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On Wendelin, I have no first hand experience with them, but like the info they provide. Ultimately, seeing the sire/dam pairing and litter firsthand is the only way I'll buy dogs, and they're geographically out of range for me to do that.

On the breeding question, it's a little more involved than rule of thumb answers.I have always subscribed to 'every other heat' cycle for bitches to breed, and only if they're younger than six years old. Studs can continue longer. And, that was the philosophy of the breeder I acquired my female from, who was well established in animal husbandry in general , not just dogs.

You might pick up a copy of "The Complete Book Of Dog Breeding" by Dan Rice, D.V.M. In it he states the same preference of the every other heat model. When you factor in that some litters are 5 pups, and some are 10 pups, knowing exactly how much stress the bitch has gone thru, as well as knowing how well all internals have repaired and ready to carry a healthy litter becomes more difficult. Rice also notes that as the bitch ages, the litters can become smaller, but with larger pups, and that translates to more whelping stress on the female. IMO, anything more of a brood bitch is out of disregard for her health, and more likely greed. Dogs are not machines.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I'm not upset. It always amuses me when people think I'm a man on here.
If that amuses you, people think I'm a man all the time. And my screen name has MOM in it.

On the Wendelin question, I know a couple of people who have Wendelin dogs and they are great dogs. Strictly pets and just really nice all around dogs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If that amuses you, people think I'm a man all the time. And my screen name has MOM in it.

On the Wendelin question, I know a couple of people who have Wendelin dogs and they are great dogs. Strictly pets and just really nice all around dogs.
I am very much against wendelin after everything I have heard through PM's. Thank you though! I found some actually 2 I am interested in, just waiting on timing on my end for who I go with.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts