German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all of my lovely friends here on this forum. I have come across Christina in my search of finding a good breeder. I have heard many great reviews and other awful ones of the dog they received from her. The great ones varied from "amazing dog, super companion, awesome service, knowledgeable breeder, etc" the negative reviews have usually been about her dogs having anxiety. So here comes the glorious question I have for you all, what are your experiences with Wendelin Farms?

As well, I have a question for anyone who has knowledge of breeding; are back to back litters to one female unhealthy for the female and her pups? And should a breeder really be doing 2+ litters a year per female? Someone told me it can cause stress on the female and the pups which creates Anxiety.

No hate, genuinely considering them, just want your opinion on them. I hope this is not seen or taken the wrong way. Talking to Christina has been lovely!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello to all of my lovely friends here on this forum. I have come across Christina in my search of finding a good breeder. I have heard many great reviews and other awful ones of the dog they received from her. The great ones varied from "amazing dog, super companion, awesome service, knowledgeable breeder, etc" the negative reviews have usually been about her dogs having anxiety. So here comes the glorious question I have for you all, what are your experiences with Wendelin Farms?

As well, I have a question for anyone who has knowledge of breeding; are back to back litters to one female unhealthy for the female and her pups? And should a breeder really be doing 2+ litters a year per female? Someone told me it can cause stress on the female and the pups which creates Anxiety.

No hate, genuinely considering them, just want your opinion on them. I hope this is not seen or taken the wrong way. Talking to Christina has been lovely!
I don't have any experience with Wendelin. On your question of back to back breeding, current research shows that back to back breeding is actually best for the female as long as she is not having difficulty whelping or caring for the pups. If she has difficulty bouncing back then it may be best to skip a heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There’s a bunch of different opinions on this. Some will say back to back are best because every time they go through a heat without being bred, their body attacks the uterus. It’s one of the arguments for spaying females that aren’t going to be bred as well. There are arguments the other way too. I would recommend you ask Christine and see if you like her answer. My knowledge of wendelin farms is they can produce some sharp, higher aggression dogs. I’m not saying all their dogs come out this way, just the reputation that I know of them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any experience with Wendelin. On your question of back to back breeding, current research shows that back to back breeding is actually best for the female as long as she is not having difficulty whelping or caring for the pups. If she has difficulty bouncing back then it may be best to skip a heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Alright thank you! I have another option for a litter that will be born in March from a breeder that will be breeding his female to Irck de la Hutte du Berger. This will be his B litter. His first litter best female went to a recommended breeder called Ulfheim, I contacted her and she sent me to this guy because she no longer breeds. Is getting a dog from a newer breeder a good idea? He trains his own dogs and titles them, DM clear, I can DM you more info if you wish with the Pedigree.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s a bunch of different opinions on this. Some will say back to back are best because every time they go through a heat without being bred, their body attacks the uterus. It’s one of the arguments for spaying females that aren’t going to be bred as well. There are arguments the other way too. I would recommend you ask Christine and see if you like her answer. My knowledge of wendelin farms is they can produce some sharp, higher aggression dogs. I’m not saying all their dogs come out this way, just the reputation that I know of them.
okay thank you. Question for you then, I explained this a bit more in the above reply, but do you think giving new breeders a shot is a good idea or stick to the well respected ones? I can DM you more info.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
okay thank you. Question for you then, I explained this a bit more in the above reply, but do you think giving new breeders a shot is a good idea or stick to the well respected ones? I can DM you more info.
Well respected breeders had to start somewhere too. I wouldn’t worry about going to a newer breeder if they: have the appropriate health tests, work the dog(s) they’re breeding, have a reputable breeder mentoring them, otherwise tick all your boxes. Just being new doesn’t mean anything bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well respected breeders had to start somewhere too. I wouldn’t worry about going to a newer breeder if they: have the appropriate health tests, work the dog(s) they’re breeding, have a reputable breeder mentoring them, otherwise tick all your boxes. Just being new doesn’t mean anything bad.
They do not have a reputable breeder mentoring them, but he titles his female, a well known breeder recommended him, does DM testing and DM clear (N/N), all puppies are CKC registered, and seems super excited for the litter.

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
My understanding is the most up to date science is saying it's best to breed your female back to back. I know several Wendelin dogs and have liked them all. However, she does breed heavy on the Czech lines so I don't doubt that some are sharper which would translate into "anxiety".

Are you willing to import a dog? I know of a litter that should be super nice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My understanding is the most up to date science is saying it's best to breed your female back to back. I know several Wendelin dogs and have liked them all. However, she does breed heavy on the Czech lines so I don't doubt that some are sharper which would translate into "anxiety".

Are you willing to import a dog? I know of a litter that should be super nice.
Not interested in import. Sorry.

I feel like all of the local breeders that are "good" or MANY of them are just glorified puppy mills. I am really interested in going with this guy who is new. Let me DM/PM you something!

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
Regarding new breeders - it's pretty common in our sport for a person to breed their titled female without being a "breeder" by our definition. So yes, I would not hesitate to buy a puppy from someone like that if I liked the dogs.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It all comes down to the dogs involved at the end of the day. You don’t need to pm me the pedigree. Feel free to post it if you want. There are other people here who can tell you more about it than me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It all comes down to the dogs involved at the end of the day. You don’t need to pm me the pedigree. Feel free to post it if you want. There are other people here who can tell you more about it than me.
I messaged Jax, she said the Grandmother of the female being bred can bring aggression.

Éos vom Haus Bergblick – working-dog This is the female

And here are the two possible sires.
Bordy - Bordy Blendy – working-dog

Irck - Irck de la Hutte du Berger – working-dog

EDITED

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you want this dog for? What is your experience level with shepherds and other high power dogs?
Companion mostly, going to be doing lots of exercise and training with them. I am interested in doing some obedience training, scent and personal protection stuff for fun, but not going to compete or anything.

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
I said the grandsire on the bottom - Kinski - bring aggression :) And I'm a she :)

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
I'm not upset. It always amuses me when people think I'm a man on here.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Back to back is healthier for the uterus and pyo risk but that doesn’t necessarily translate to being healthier for the bitch overall. She must be back in good shape and recovered well from the previous pregnancy. So if a female had a large litter recently and is still not back to her ideal then she shouldn’t be bred again if she comes back into heat before she’s back to ideal. Some dogs have a decent amount of time in between heats so back to back for one dog isn’t the same as back to back for another. Along with considerations like how well they did during pregnancy and pup number. It isn’t as simple as one is better than the other there are a lot of variables that go into. Also how many times they’re back to back breeding. If they’re breeding their female every heat cycle from 2-10 probably not a good breeder.

Also recently I’ve seen a ton of posts about calcium supplementation. If a female needs a ton of supplementation of calcium ignoring that potential issue I’d be more so worried about that dog going on to be bred again soon, as in shortly after weaning pups.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back to back is healthier for the uterus and pyo risk but that doesn’t necessarily translate to being healthier for the bitch overall. She must be back in good shape and recovered well from the previous pregnancy. So if a female had a large litter recently and is still not back to her ideal then she shouldn’t be bred again if she comes back into heat before she’s back to ideal. Some dogs have a decent amount of time in between heats so back to back for one dog isn’t the same as back to back for another. Along with considerations like how well they did during pregnancy and pup number. It isn’t as simple as one is better than the other there are a lot of variables that go into. Also how many times they’re back to back breeding. If they’re breeding their female every heat cycle from 2-10 probably not a good breeder.

Also recently I’ve seen a ton of posts about calcium supplementation. If a female needs a ton of supplementation of calcium ignoring that potential issue I’d be more so worried about that dog going on to be bred again soon, as in shortly after weaning pups.
This is very interesting, thank you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Companion mostly, going to be doing lots of exercise and training with them. I am interested in doing some obedience training, scent and personal protection stuff for fun, but not going to compete or anything.
Do you have any previous experience? What type of dog is it that you like?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts