German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start out by saying I am not a fan of raw feeding for a number of reasons, which I won't go into here. So, it's a bit ironic that one of my dogs decided to try raw feeding on her own.

Warning: do not proceed if you are at all squeamish...

I live in a house that was built sometime in the late 1800s. The foundation is made out of fieldstone, and not in terribly good shape. I have a very large backyard, and there's a largish resident population of chipmunks.

With the winter coming on, they managed to find a way into my basement. I first knew about this when I found a dead one lying beside the dog bed in the dining room. I think what must have happened is my cat killed it, then the dogs took it from the cat. I did find a small piece of fur and flesh on the cat's chin. Yes, the cat is an excellent mouser...

The entrance to the basement is through a trap door, which is in 2 sections. I've left the top section open, to provide ventilation, as the basement is smelling a bit moldy after a very wet summer. This means that in order to get into it, you'd have to jump about 4 feet straight down and land on the stairs, which are only about 10 inches wide. There is a gap of about 14" between the floor and the concrete pad it rests on, to provide room to run the heating pipes, and my cat can easily reach this, but the dogs can't. So, either the cat caught the chipmunk and brought it upstairs, or the chippie came up on its own. Definitely, the dogs can't access the basement with only the one door open.

So, fast forward to yesterday. I found another chipmunk lying beside the dog bed in the dining room.
Except this time, it was only half a chipmunk... :sick:

I wasn't sure which dog was responsible, until about half an hour later when my younger dog vomited up the remains, along with her breakfast kibble, spreading it out over 5 different spots in the kitchen and dining room. (Thank God I don't have rugs!)

NO more raw food for YOU, Eska! :surprise:

And I need to call my handyman to see if he can find and seal up the entrance the chipmunks are using!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Ugh! I am still working on an area of carpet that Newlie vomited on say maybe 10 days ago. I can still smell it and I have treated it several times. Yesterday, I saw rave reviews of a product called Zero Odor" and I bought some today. It does seem a little better already, I will keep you posted on the results.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
For smell, the best product I've ever found is Eliminator by Health Technology Professional Products in California. I found it at an animal expo years ago, and I've been ordering it from them ever since. They make pro-strength products marketed to shelters, zoos, and boarding kennels.

The downside is expensive to ship. It's $40/gallon plus $20 or so in shipping. You pay almost as much to ship a quart, so it's more economical to get the gallon. I put it down drain lines too.
https://www.htproducts.net/groomers/eliminator-odor-digester-gallon-detail

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the advantage of hardwood and tile floors - NO SMELL!

I have one rug in the house, a runner by the front door. It gets washed on a regular basis, because that's Star's favourite place to sleep at night, and she gets it quite dirty. I even have to wash the DOOR, because she leans against that while she sleeps!

Dog beds get washed too. I make sure they are light enough to go in the washer and dryer. They are stuffed with light weight quilt batting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts