German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just got my 12 week GSD pup, Maverick, a few weeks ago, and I have him on Wellness Core LBP dry food. He's had some runny/soft stools so I've been researching and looking through some threads here for good puppy food, and I've seen that the standard calcium to phosphorus ratio for LBP food is ~1.2% to 1.0%. The Wellness food I have him on has a calcium to phosphorus ratio of 1.6% to 1.3%. Isn't that way too high? Should I definitely change his food? I was set on trying out Victors, but saw a lot of posts saying to wait till he's older to put him on it. Now, I'm deciding between Fromm's LBP or TOTW puppy, and although Fromm has the better reputation, I'm kinda leaning toward TOTW because of costs. Any advice or recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I switched Tala off Taste of the Wild after reading the FDA report about Legumes and Taurine levels and how they can cause heart issues:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/fda-targets-peas-lentils-potatoes-investigation-grain-free-diets-and-dcm

I am going with Fromm large breed puppy now after much research. My Lulu passed away last year at 10 years old from a heart problem that came on very suddenly and was fed grain free all her life, I'm not taking the chance with Tala, I had no idea back then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts