German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... It finally happened...

My fiance came over and kaiser, like usual, was very excited to see him. I told my fiance to completely ignore kaisers rambunctiousness and to just come straight inside and to not touch kaiser until kaiser was sitting and polite. As he came through the door, kaiser hopped backward and bumped into dakota accidentally... Who then bumped into the wall. For whatever reason, Dakota reacted and bit kaiser on the face. She has never responded in this way, even when kaiser is much more rough, but either way the fact is that she was pushed over her limit. Soooo kaiser now has a gash under his eye. It appears the top layer of fur and skin was removed, like a bad abrasion. I cleaned it and put some antibiotic ointment on, but I'm worried the area won't heal. I was also worried she might have gotten his eye, but he isn't squinting or rubbing so I think he's ok in that respect. Kaiser appears fine otherwise and neither dog is holding a grudge. It just breaks my heart when something negative happens... And he has such a beautiful face I hope it heals back to normal. I know it's not about how he looks but rather about his state of health. Sigh... Poor boy.

And to those who will comment on training... It's a work in progress with both the dogs and my fiance. They see him very rarely so it's like Christmas when he walks through the door. At home they have a place they can go, or a crate, but we are out of town so that probably added to the over excitement.

At any rate, please send him your well wishes :) Lil man has had a rough first year medically speaking! Always getting hurt... Such a boy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Poor guy just can't seem to catch any breaks :( I hope it heals quickly

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Hope Kaiser heals quickly and completely. Lucky got nailed on his nose by one of the girls last wek. I can feel the scab but it is healing. Lucky has a large muzzle and I think is quite handsome. I cant stand to see any of our dogs hurt by another. Thunder had a swollen eye but within two days was better.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sending healing well wishes to Kaiser. Poor guy just can't catch a break (or you for that matter!) Hopefully all will be quiet for you for the rest of the year :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Dakota had her share of vet time as she was growing up but nothing like kaiser. I suppose on the positive end, kaiser bounces off and just keeps on rolling :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I wish Kaiser the best.

It sounds like he may have a small scar under his eye, but probably none the worse for wear.

·
Registered
892 Posts
:( Poooor Kaiser, however I wouldn't worry about it healing. Unless its really deep it might scar (adds character ;)) but otherwise dogs and cats heal crazy fast. I mean think of a dog spay. They are all healed up by the 10 day mark generally. I look at her incision now and it's like where is it? So no worries Jenn, he should heal up soon :) Piper had a pretty deep scratch by her eye probably playing with Zeus last summer and it was gone in I'de say about a week and a half.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I definitely don't blame Dakota, he was rude and she is the Matriarch!! Lack of respect is not tolerated, he MUST be on leash and sitting when guests come in, she gets to greet and move and he must sit stay!!!!! He is over a year, insist on this!!!!if it takes 15 min for the BF to make it in so be it, next time will be much quicker, he must learn he must be calm and Dakota moves after you, not him!!! And don't worry about the bite, she won't repeat it unless he is rude toward her again, you can insist on manners

1 - 8 of 8 Posts