German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beansy finished her basic class. We flunked in my opinion, and we will repeat basic with her.

Actually, they set up a rally course for graduation, and she did accomplish everything quite nicely and in good time. But she needs to get better with the loose lead walking, and her stays need more help. Normally, my puppies would have started classes six or more weeks earlier than these two did. But overall, I was pleased with her. I want to repeat the class to give her a better grounding in the basics before moving on.

Bear finished her advanced class. We flunked that as well. We had a pre novice judging, and would have passed but we did not stay down for three minutes. This is not her fault. I had not ever practiced stays with her outside class, and rarely in class for that matter. And the dog next to her was a regular jack in the box, so finally she broke her stay. Otherwise she would have had a 183 out of 200. She does not pull terribly on the lead, sits when I stop, saw cones the first time today for the figure eight, and did a stand for exam very well (in my opinion).

Bear is moving on to CGC for the next set of classes.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
sounds like they did good. Course i've never taken my dogs to training classes so they'd probably bomb pretty badly despite how well they behave and they are trained!!!! I'd like to take a couple basic classes with them.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Beansy finished her basic class. We flunked in my opinion, and we will repeat basic with her.
It's funny cause it's always the more experienced trainers who happily re-take a session cause they know they aren't ready to move. Really makes the next advance classes so much easier if you've got the earlier ones down!

Congrats on how well all your dogs are doing!:wub:

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I just expect to take class after class with them until they are two or so, then I go down to a class now and again. I think that is partly because I really do not train much in between classes. Often the week goes by and then it is Tuesday night, and I had all these great expectations about taking them out every night and working with them, and not doing it at all.

Somehow, in spite of me, they get better and better with each class session.

Let's see Joy is now 15 months old, she went through two sets of puppy classes, two sets of basic classes, a set of CGC classes, a set of advanced classes, a set of agility classes, a set of rally -- and she was really doing good with the loose lead, and then she went into heat. She was a teenager on vacation. She forgot everything about that loose lead. Then she went through another set of advanced classes and then conformation, then a set of four advanced classes, and she is signed up yet again. I wanted to show her in August, but because of the heat, I am hoping we will be ready to show at the Christmas Classic.

So I do not sweat repeating classes. I wouldn't have to do as much if I would get off my duff and do some work in between classes, but then it would all be over too quickly. I am in it for the journey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts