German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent over $300 on an "escape proof" crate made out of exotic cat rated materials. Zoe busted the over head latch today and was out when I got home...thankfully she didn't tear anything up...she just went around the house and gathered my husbands belts and one of mine (he leaves them everywhere). I found them in pile upstairs in the sitting area. I guess she felt like doing some house work? ...or she was just gathering her party supplies...

I got home in the nick of time, I think. Although the remote control didn't make it. Thankfully that was the only damage she did! Looks like my husband will be going to lowes to replace the latches tomorrow :laugh:

She will be a year old Jan. 5th and she is still a mess! Gotta love that girl.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Oh no! I hate to hear that!

Are you guys working with her using the "I'll Be Home Soon" method to help improve her separation anxiety?

If she broke out of the exotic-cat rated crate, that means she's having a LOT of anxiety over you guys being gone. Whether she manages to escape again or not, it might be a good idea to work with her to help reduce her stress level around your leaving.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've never heard of one of those cages!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Thats crazy....be glad though, my friends psycho poodle not only tore through several crates but eventually started ripping the crate plastic flooring off, then proceeded to eat the living room carpet under the crate..later the dog wiggled the entire crate over to the guys couch and ate the couch arm all while still in the crate lol

I leave the Animal planet on the tv all the time my dogs are crated, try to make sure you use the crate while you are home so they don't connect the crate with loneliness but with comfort. Give her a special toy that is only for when she is in the crate while you are home and then when u leave so she feels like things stay the same while you are gone, but keep it in the crate. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
@Elaine - I was just looking at those on the Leerburg site

Leerburg | Aluminum Dog Crates

I have no idea if this would work but I know when my (human) kidlet was younger she had a "lovey" that she would take to bed with her. Do you think something that smells strongly of you would help? It could be her "lovey"...though I don't know what would be indestructible enough for that...hmmm.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
A dog that is determined enough to break out of regular crates isn't going to be deterred by anything other than an unbreakable crate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the latches are just cheap...they fell apart. I do not believe she is having the same issues she once was...she is on a daily medication and I can put her in there and she doesn't throw a fit...I was opening it up on Wed and the lock just crumbled apart. We used zip ties the day she got out (she chewed them off...all 8 of them) This dog is damned genious! We went to Lowe's and replaced the cheap latches with some better ones. For as much as the crate cost us...it's not the high quality I thought it would be. She can't bend these bars though :) But, no- she isn't freaking out and injuring herself at all...she is just an escape artist and it gives her something to do. I try toys but I don't think she cares for them...she would rather pick locks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh- and for those of you that don't know...she also picks the latches from the other dogs crates once she gets out... It's her favorite pass time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts