German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... Nikon can jump the baby gate now. I'm honestly surprised he held out this long, since we've been doing jump technique training for agility, and he's now 24" 70lbs (16 months) so he could easily jump the 4' fence outside if he wanted to. Now whenever I go up to use the bathroom, I hear the "thump". He slowly comes up the stairs and looks at me carefully as if to say, "I'm being really quiet and calm and good, I swear!!"

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Great....Athena is 20 months and hasn't figured out the gate yet.Do I really want to pursue agility with her if this is going to happen?The cat box and food dishes will never be full again if she discovers she can jump the short gate...:(
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My pup tired to jump ours today to get to me. Our one GSD would jump it, the other, who was bigger didn't bother... laziest dog ever. Zeva is gonna jump it soon or knock it over and realize that she can keep knocking it over. She has by accident in the past, but it hasn't seemed to dawn on her yet.

We finally let her in the living room, first time in over a week, and she didn't pee! I'm so proud of her. She played in there w/ us for like 30 min and she was getting a bit mouthy so I put her back in the kitchen where she proceeded to tell me she had to pee. I took her out, she went. I'm excited.... this was a big step for her!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I put up a baby gate the day I got Morgan - she was tall for 6 months old. I wanted to watch her from the den, hoping maybe she'd take a nap. I stepped over the gate, she hopped right over it behind me. There was no containing her

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I guess I've been lucky so far (fingers crossed.) None of my dogs ever figured out that they could jump the baby gates. Even my Golden who used to do high jump competitions didn't connect that jumping with being able to jump the gate (or the fence in the yard, thank goodness!)
I did have one foster dog, a Chinese Shar-Pei, who used to barrel right THROUGH the pressure-mounted gate I had at the time. He'd just use his big old head to batter right through it, usually resulting in pushing the bottom half outward, so the top was still connected but it was pushed outward like a pet door.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
You are not alone all though, Akbar has figured out he can just barge right THROUGH the gate, no reason to bother jumping it.... He's already broken two gates so far.

Cody and Isa know they can jump the gates when I had them up for Akbar, but they chose not to because there's no point if mommy isn't in there.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to move it up, but it doesn't actually clamp in the doorway, it just sits there. Another reason I was so amused that it took Nikon this long to get over it. When Coke really wants to come up, he just pulls it over with his paw. Usually we are all downstairs and it helps keeps the dogs down here with us, so they aren't drinking out of the toilet or foraging in DH's trash can. Luckily Nikon is only jumping it to follow me upstairs. If I stay down, he does too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts