German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Koch out for a stroll around the block

She sees a dog across the street and starts to bark, because she is an insane 8 month old girl.

I get her attention and we progress, she is still getting a few barks off, then this guy is coming up in front of us, probably a good few 20' away.

I can tell when she is in a mood and wants to greet someone or keep on walking, with him she felt like walking.

But, he is walking with a walking stick and postures it in a "defensive" position. So, he immediately becomes of interest to her. I pull her in close and move to circle around him and we pass. She lets off a bark when he is a good 10' away because she still hears other dogs across the street and he flips around, again with his walking stick up in a defensive position.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It must be something about the eight month mark because if Lainey hears a dog close by barking now, she has to announce herself also. She quiets down after a bark or two. That guy sounds like he was a little hypersensitive. Maybe a dog has charged or attacked him in the past.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That guy sounds like he is a bit of a fruit loop, actually. If' I was concerned about a dog, I'd cross the street or ask the owner if the dog was okay to pass.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Nope, not a fruit loop, but just John Q Public. Simply someone who is sensitive/nervous with strange (and probably all) dogs. Not everyone is a dog person and there are many out on the public walkways. And we should expect to run into them from time to time if/when we walk our dogs in public and know how we are going to handle that situation.

When I see folks approaching with that kind of demeanor, I tend to put the dog(s) into a sit or down to the side to let them pass by. Sometimes if there's enough room to the side, I may exaggerate the obedience/focus a bit. I rather keep an eye on the "nervous" individual and have the dogs under control than trying to walk by them as I anticipate the nervous person doing something "unusual" while all of us are in motion just passing each other.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had three shepherds at once and sometimes would walk them together. Even with just one or two, I would find some people would see us coming and circle wayyyyy out of our way. Some people are scared of dogs, and then they see a GSD or another large dog ("Whoa! It's a K9! Look, it's ears are up!" I have heard) and forget it. I internally roll my eyes to myself and sort of chuckle.
If people are within hearing distance, I normally say, "They're ok!" or "Don't worry -- She's trained and on a leash." And smile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts