German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We order Fromm from petflow. Both the large breed puppy, and the large breed adult. Apparently petflow has some issue with our auto ship, and we ran out of puppy food. So I bought a small bag of proplan large breed puppy, as this is what we had available to us. We don’t do taste of the wild, it causes a ton of issues with Lyka. So we elect to keep it out of the house all together just in case Seiran leaves some in the bowl, and Lyka gets to it.

So two auto ship orders came in yesterday, so we should be good on Fromm puppy for at least the next few months ?. Anyway, Seiran had no reaction to the switch to proplan, and since she’s been given Fromm since day one, I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal to just give her the Fromm. I mean, it’s was only 3 days.

Now she is shooting water out her behind. Woke me up 5 times last night with an urgent need to go. She’s had multiple accidents inside as well, which normally doesn’t happen, she alerts when she needs to go.

So valuable lesson, 3 days does matter. A lot. We went back to the proplan with small amounts of the Fromm. Hopefully she will let me get some sleep tonight!

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had to share an adorable pic. She has a blue colored pencil in her mouth. She carries the thing everywhere, but never chews on it, the little weirdo. Anyway, after a swim in the pool, this is her at full concentration on a cat walking across the road from us.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
She's such a beautiful girl!That pencil would make me nervous:eek:

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the pic it looks like it’s inside her mouth, but it’s not. It’s sticking out the side. Neither end is sharpened.

Is it something I should take away? It’s literally the first thing she goes for as soon as she is let out of her crate in the morning. She puts it down to eat, and in exchange for toys, but always has to have it next to her. And oddly, it’s just that one specific colored pencil, she couldn’t care less about any others.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Any chance the food switch and the "episode" are a coincidence and the cause is something else?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any chance the food switch and the "episode" are a coincidence and the cause is something else?
She went back to solid stools after we went back to the proplan, so I’m pretty sure that was the issue. Wouldn’t bet my life on it, but maybe the neighbors life ?.

She’s still acting her normal self, full of energy, and not showing any signs of illness. I put a call into the vet, and they didn’t seem concerned (after her broken jaw, I’m a wreck when something happens, so I’m sure my vet is annoyed by me already), just said to watch for bloody stools, lack of appetite, and any change in behavior. If any of that occurs, to call for an appointment then.

My older dogs haven’t had any issues at all, stools still firm, but they didn’t run out of Fromm, so no food changes for them.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I wasn't leaning toward anything too serious, more along the lines of her finding or being given human food she's not accustomed to. Years ago I found my neighbor giving one of mine pieces of hot dog.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a probability my demon children snuck some of their dinner to her under the table. I’ve already told DH that we need to crate her dinner time because she will sit and beg, and I can’t stand that!

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Oh yes just a few days can cause problems.... been there. So yeah be careful switching food.. Ironically when I fed supermarket dog food - whatever was on sale (OK this was some, well, uh, fifty years ago), I had no problems.

On the pencil. No destruction, no writing on the walls? Shouldn't be a problem. She does look like she's studying that cat before she starts her drawing...

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes just a few days can cause problems.... been there. So yeah be careful switching food.. Ironically when I fed supermarket dog food - whatever was on sale (OK this was some, well, uh, fifty years ago), I had no problems.

On the pencil. No destruction, no writing on the walls? Shouldn't be a problem. She does look like she's studying that cat before she starts her drawing...
I should have setup an easel and canvas! Lmao. Maybe I can photoshop it in ?

No coloring on walls yet. Just prancing around like she just found a million bully sticks instead of just a colored pencil. My 9yr old daughter still carries around her blanket she has had since birth, and everyone calls it her blankie, so we’ve taken to calling the pencil Seiran’s blankie. Hopefully she will grow out of it before she hits the 9yr mark! Lol

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I wouldn't allow my pup to carry around a pencil. You never know when she may decide to chew it and swallow. Internal splinters ?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't allow my pup to carry around a pencil. You never know when she may decide to chew it and swallow. Internal splinters ?
No need to worry, she gave it up all on her own (without a single tooth mark in sight) in exchange with a chicken that makes scrunching water bottle sounds. It’s almost as musical as her pushing the milk cartons around! Our entire house is tile or hardwood, so it makes quite the racket!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh goodness! :'3
Poor thing.

Similar thing with our dogs. They finished their food before the autoship came in.
My fiancee got them a cheap bag of food from the dollar general down the road. There's only 1 store in town that carries the brand we buy and it's a 20 minute drive and he forgot to stop by on his way home from work, but he didn't feel like turning around...

Luckily I had a second bag of their food with me that I brought home (im staying with my folks during the week and come home on weekends)
So they only had to suffer 1 day of upset tummies.

I asked him PLEASE never to buy them garbage again xD

·
Registered
708 Posts
It’s not such a bad thing to rotate out foods, eating the same thing day in and day out couldn’t be good for anybody. If they’re accustomed to eating different things their systems won’t become so upset. I feed the same kibble mostly but always have varying toppers, but in the event I do run out and have to grab something else there is very little issue if any.

There have been some tough times in my life where I have had to buy cheap food, I’d even bicycle miles with a 20 lbs bag on my shoulder because I lost my license and vehicle. The dogs didn’t seem to mind too much and I think even liked the cheap stuff better? Now I take them out to a restaurant once a week where they get their own burgers to order lol

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We do switch out flavors of Fromm when they seem to start getting finicky with it. But I’m not really sure what other brands to rotate in. Taste of the wild reeks havoc with Lyka, and I try to avoid foods with a lot of recalls. If you have some suggestions, I’m all for it!

With the big dogs, they get different toppings, coconut oil, salmon oil, fish oil, etc. wasn’t sure if it would mess up Seiran’s belly.

I’ve also run into hard times and had to chose between them not eating, and them eating pedigree. They had pedigree for 3-4 months. They loved it, but the amount of waste during potty breaks was ridiculous, and their coats got super dull and dandruff had them scratching like crazy. When I got another job and could afford the Fromm again, I swear they gave me death glares when they saw the bag ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts