German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We didn't feel comfortable leaving him home alone for a little bit while we trick or treated. So, I decided to bring him with. He did pretty good and sat on command when other dogs got in the vicinity. We're pretty proud of him. He did get scared a few times, but nothing outrageous like running away. More like a hesitation than scared.

While we did this, I began to think about my mom's dogs (past and present) and how they don't like trick or treaters. I think Rambo will do good socially. He's settling in and eating dinner now. I'm sure he'll sleep well tonight.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I took Stark out as well, I think it is a great opportunity for young dogs to really experience a multitude of things.

Great job to your youngster! :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My lucy's not much of a "guard dog". Everytime a trick or treater rang the doorbell, she'd run over to the door but all she wanted to do was greet whoever was there. No barking, no whining, nothing. Just waiting at the door to see who the next person she could say hello to.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My lucy's not much of a "guard dog". Everytime a trick or treater rang the doorbell, she'd run over to the door but all she wanted to do was greet whoever was there. No barking, no whining, nothing. Just waiting at the door to see who the next person she could say hello to.
i hope i can get scout to do that... just sit there and kinda guard the door w/o barking or scaring the crap out of people... unless they decide to walk in w/o me present

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
i hope i can get scout to do that... just sit there and kinda guard the door w/o barking or scaring the crap out of people... unless they decide to walk in w/o me present
Socialize, socialize, and socialize some more. Let your puppy experience as many situations as possible early and throughout his life and keep everything positive. It pays off later in life.

The only thing is she wasn't guarding anything. She just wanted to meet and greet people coming to the door. You could break into my house and she'd probably help you find all the good stuff.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Socialize, socialize, and socialize some more. Let your puppy experience as many situations as possible early and throughout his life and keep everything positive. It pays off later in life.
yup thats what im doing... taking to puppy play dates at petco (i know, not the best place) but its the only place i can take him weekly... once he gets used to other dogs then ill do some training, but i MIGHT and thats an extreme maybe.. use the AKC that we have here, ive called them many times and only get a answering machine

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You want to ensure you socialize him with dogs AND people (kids, elderly, wheelchairs, scooters, skateboards, bikes, etc.), sounds (trains, cars, bangs, booms, metal dropping, babies crying, kids yelling, people singing, etc.), objects (anything and everything you see, let your puppy explore it), places (go to as many places as possible, make sure to mix it up!), different surfaces (metal, plastic, paper, carpet, hardwood, grass, ashfault, dirt, sand, pebble, water, rock, etc.), different heights (on top of tables, under things, etc.), the list is endless.

Even at 18 months old my boy is still being socialized daily to all these things. :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I took Titon with us tonight and OMG I was about to kill the dog. Never again am I doing that. Pulled the leash until my shoulder felt like popping out of the socket. Whining and pulling to meet other dogs. He became deaf to my commands.

I had to turn around and bring him back to the house because I nearly lost it.

-E

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Not much trick or treating here either. Of course, when I was a kid the candyman pretty much destroyed that tradition in Pasadena and Houston Tx and it's sorta died out across the state since then. I still remember Mom flatly refusing to let us trick or treat the next year.

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

·
Registered
262 Posts
You want to ensure you socialize him with dogs AND people (kids, elderly, wheelchairs, scooters, skateboards, bikes, etc.), sounds (trains, cars, bangs, booms, metal dropping, babies crying, kids yelling, people singing, etc.), objects (anything and everything you see, let your puppy explore it), places (go to as many places as possible, make sure to mix it up!), different surfaces (metal, plastic, paper, carpet, hardwood, grass, ashfault, dirt, sand, pebble, water, rock, etc.), different heights (on top of tables, under things, etc.), the list is endless.

Even at 18 months old my boy is still being socialized daily to all these things. :)
I couldn't agree more. We are trying to do the same with our puppy. Everything that I can think of.

We sometimes dog-sit a friend's lab and have noticed that since they didn't socialize their dog well..small things set her off. eg: each time she sees someone walk/jog by with a headphone stuck to their ear..she will lunge !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts