German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had a run of bad luck. I had to have my right hip replaced. It got infected so it was back in the hospital to remove the hardware and have 4-6 weeks of antibiotics to clear it up. Before I could go to a rehab center, they discovered my gall bladder was gangrenous so that had to be removed. I am now in rehab. My poor dogs have been in a kennel for months and it will still be a while. /sigh I have had people tell me it was selfish of me to not giving them up but I can't. I hope both them and I will get past this. It hasn't been a good year so far. Please pray for me. I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
So sorry to hear of your trouble, health and healing wishes and prayers to you..

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'd be happy to send out prayers for you and your dogs.

As far as what people have said about you being selfish - you've had two major complications from your surgery, you did not intend to be away for so long. You are the 1% of people this probably happens to as stated on the consent for surgery form. Hopefully in the near future you will one of the 1% of people that has something great happen to them.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
That is tough luck, I hope it changes for the better. Years back, the company I worked went bankrupt. I had to work 2 jobs for over a year. My lab and malamute had to suck it up along with me. It was difficult, but the bills got paid, we got to eat, and when times are hard that's enough. You'll get through this and so will your pups.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well to further my run of bad luck, while I was in rehab, I got deadly sick one night and the nurse called the doctor who had me go to the emergency room. They found I have a hole on my colon on top of everything else. My brother refuses to even come see me any more because he says I'm being completely selfish by leaving my dogs in a kennel for so many months. I can't give them up. They are a big part of my life. Is my brother right? Am I just being selfish? If I have any luck left at all, it will be the end of June or the beginning of July before I can get them out.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. Keeping you and your dogs in my thoughts and prayers.
As long as your dogs are being cared for I'm sure the are fine and are patiently waiting for you.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You have really had a run of bad luck :( You don't need to pile the guilt on top of that, though. The dogs will get through it just fine.

Sending prayers to you and the pups. Speedy recovery!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
As long as your dogs are being cared for I'm sure the are fine and are patiently waiting for you.
I agree, they're being well cared for. Focus on healing and don't worry about them :) Hopefully you'll be home soon with them

·
Registered
29 Posts
We don't send our children away when we loose jobs, or have a hard time; our dogs are part of our family. We all get through it the best we can. Prayers and healing thoughts to you, happy ball chasing thoughts to your dogs. When you get home, you're going to need them even more, to help you get healthy again.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If your brother is concerned about them, can he take them? I pray for a quick recovery and that it will be full and complete.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Sending you health and healing prayers. You'll make it through this. When you do, your dogs will be waiting for you. That is all that matters at this point. Not what anybody else thinks or says.

You worry about getting better. Let the kennel take care of your dogs.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I hope you feel better quickly. Sending good health vibes and prayers your way.

Your dogs will be gracious to see you again, happy, healthy and ready to play. Don't worry about them.

I know how it feels to think you're selfish about not giving up the pups. I've to keep my dogs outside in the Las Vegas heat for a couple of months due to some personal circumstances. I've been told I'm selfish for not rehoming them. It hurts that other people think that way. But once everyone is recovered and back home, hopefully you'll look back and say it was the right thing to do...

Keep us posted about your recovery please...

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your bad year. Hopefully, this is the last of it and you will be on the road to recovery. Is there anyone you know adn trust close by that can keep the dogs for you for a few more months?

Kenneling is stressful for them but many dogs live a good part of theri lives in kennels. They will get through this too if you are committed to keeping them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Well to further my run of bad luck, while I was in rehab, I got deadly sick one night and the nurse called the doctor who had me go to the emergency room. They found I have a hole on my colon on top of everything else. My brother refuses to even come see me any more because he says I'm being completely selfish by leaving my dogs in a kennel for so many months. I can't give them up. They are a big part of my life. Is my brother right? Am I just being selfish? If I have any luck left at all, it will be the end of June or the beginning of July before I can get them out.
It sounds like your brother is the one being selfish. Try to spend your energy on getting well. Your dogs will be fine. Dogs are very forgivable. You are doing the best you can do with all that you have going on. I am praying for you that things will get better soon and you will have your dogs back with you because it sounds like they are the ones that make you happy. Forget everything else and all the nosey busy bodies telling you otherwise ..LOL :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
To me your brother is the selfish one trying to force you to give up your fur family!!

The last thing you need is to have the added stress of rehoming your dogs - that's just going to add more heartache and slow down your recovery.
Perhaps you could mention it to one of the Rehab staff they may be able to have a word with your brother.

Your dogs will be fine, they are together and they are getting looked after!!
My first dog spent over a year in a boarding kennel because I was not allowed to keep her at the rental.
I did visit her almost every day and I was working at the kennel to pay for her boarding.

Keep your Chin up, things will get better!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
First ... I HOPE AND PRAY YOU'RE FEELING BETTER SOON!!!

As far as your dogs are concerned, as long as they're getting good care at the kennel I wouldn't worry about it, however, I hope your brother doesn't continue to hold it against you.

Dogs are very adaptable to their situations and I'm sure they've adjusted well to kennel life (many dogs live for long periods of time in a kennel).

I'm positive as soon as you're back home they'll be thrilled to see you, be home and life will carry on. If I were in the same situation and could afford a mega boarding bill, I'd do exactly what you're doing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts