German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was at the Matsuri, someone asked me what Ozzy was. When I told him he was a Pom, he said, "Oh. He looks just like my German spitz at home." So I looked up German spitzes. And I'm kinda shocked.

Ozzy looks exactly like a German spitz! He's got the sleeker fur, longer muzzle, bigger ears, and longer body, whereas (compared to him), Poms are shorter and more compact, have fluffier fur, shorter muzzles, and smaller ears. He's over the Pom standard at 11 lbs (the standard for Poms is 4-7 lbs). He also didn't go trough the Pom "puppy uglies" where their hair falls out and they have random tufts of fur all over the place.

I don't have any papers on him, so it's just guessing....

Do you guys think he's an oversized Pom, or might he be a German spitz?

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_5151 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_8223 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

ETA: Now the only people who still give him that funny look that says, "I know that dog isn't a _______, but whatever," are other Pomeranian owners.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
hmm..... i dunno. Its possible but Ozzy is very much pom looking too. . . my friends little monster that she has she insists is a Shiba Inu mix (this dog is not even close) but she looks like a spitz mix. I guess its possible but i've seen Poms look like ozzy too.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think he is a German Spitz if that's a possibility. WHere did you get him? I have a pom mix and know some poms, and I always wondered if Ozzy was a different type of pom because his fur doesn't look very pom-ish to me. So yeah, this makes sense to me! He is so cute :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
German Spitz are pretty uncommon so I would say it is very unlikely. Oversized Pomeranians are much more common, I know quite a few Poms that are over 10 pounds and I've heard of one over 20 pounds!
If you search online or on a site like Dogster you'll find plenty of oversized Poms. I have a friend who has three Poms and they're all over the standard size, they also don't look like the type of Pomeranian you'd see in a dog show; have longer bodies and muzzles and different fur etc...

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I think he definitely resembles the spitz more, but if you start calling him a spitz, it will ruin my schema. :p

SO, he's a pom. (but maybe not really)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Poms and Spitzes are basically the same breed, and their temperaments are very similar (so it's hard to compare his temperament, because he fits the bill for both), but I'll still probably call him a Pom either way. Haha. I mean come on, his YouTube channel is MrOzzyPom. LOL

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I just looked up Spitz breeds and there are like 55 different breeds. I had no idea.

Maybe Ozzy is a German Pom? Oh no - I got it....He's a GERMAN CHOCOLATE POM!!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If this information is accurate, it appears the German Spitz has Pom in him if that helps any:

"History
While claims are made that German Spitz are descendants of the ancient spitzen found in the Stone Age and they are the oldest breed of dog in Central Europe,[citation needed] genetic evidence places them in a much more recent lineage, dating the Wolfsspitz type to the 1800s.[3]. The German Spitz was later brought to America, and was renamed American Eskimo Dog due to the widespread anti-German prejudice during World War I, although other breeds ("White Keeshonds" and Pomeranians, along with Japanese Spitz) were also used in the formation of the breed. The American Kennel club recognizes the breeds as separate."
German Spitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whatever Ozzy is, he's a cute little fellow!!!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I just looked up Spitz breeds and there are like 55 different breeds. I had no idea.

Maybe Ozzy is a German Pom? Oh no - I got it....He's a GERMAN CHOCOLATE POM!!
:rofl: I like that.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'd say that if he was a German Spitz, you'd know. I see way more oversized, "Aussie coated" Poms with bigger ears and longer muzzles than I see standard sized Poms with show type coats and heads. These dogs are fairly typical of the Poms I see when not at shows...

If not that then this:

Either way, they are a far cry from the show Pom:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
It looks like an Ewok!

Whats with all these Ewok looking dogs??? Is someone trying to create a canine version of an Ewok??

Ozzy is so awesome and cute!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts