German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, tonight at obedience class one of the things we were working on with our dogs was “touch.” One of the techniques we were supposed to use to practice this was putting treats underneath a plastic lid and then rewarding our dogs if they used their paw to try to get to the treat.

Now, Apollo (7 months) is not a perfectly trained dog at all. I don’t have a whole lot to brag about with him, but I do work with him daily, multiple times a day, on impulse control in different situations.

So when I put the treats under the lid he just stared at me. Other dogs around us were pawing ferociously at the lid but Apollo was looking at me and waiting for me to say he could have it! I told him “OK” but he still didn’t do anything. He tried to bite at it but then stopped and went back to looking at me and didn’t participate at all.

In a backwards kind of way even though he wasn’t doing what he was supposed to, I was proud of him for what he WASN’T doing! Maybe I shouldn’t have been, but I kind of was!

Picture of my sweet boy just because ?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
I guess this is the best way to teach him how to open the garbage can.So I guess he was the smartest of all;people and dogs alike! I don't see the purpose of this exercise. Can you explain? I use "Touch!' for the dog to touch my flat hand with its nose. I only teach it for fun, it doesn't serve much purpose for me personally other than focusing in a different way and, if in agility, to direct him.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It's not what he does in class, it's what he does between classes that matter.
Sounds fun. Touch is a basic step that you can build off of.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So when I put the treats under the lid he just stared at me. Other dogs around us were pawing ferociously at the lid but Apollo was looking at me and waiting for me to say he could have it! I told him “OK” but he still didn’t do anything. He tried to bite at it but then stopped and went back to looking at me and didn’t participate at all.
That is a very good thing, it means he is focused on you. He is looking to you for direction. You can build off the focus, have you tried watch me and when he makes eye contact you give him a treat. He has the desire just needs time.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We had a similar exercise in our obedience class and Kaiser failed it for the same reason as Apollo because he knows he isn't allowed to touch the food until I say so. Not so great for whatever the purpose of that exercise was but really great that I can put my dinner down on the coffee table, leave the room to fetch a drink and come back and no one has touched my food!

Good job Apollo!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess this is the best way to teach him how to open the garbage can.So I guess he was the smartest of all;people and dogs alike! I don't see the purpose of this exercise. Can you explain? I use "Touch!' for the dog to touch my flat hand with its nose. I only teach it for fun, it doesn't serve much purpose for me personally other than focusing in a different way and, if in agility, to direct him.
I am honestly not sure what this was supposed to accomplish! I understood the “touch” command being used for directing your dog with your hand (that’s what we were doing to begin with- trying to get the dog to touch their nose to our hand) but the whole paw thing to get to treats didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me- and apparently it didn’t to Apollo either!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am honestly not sure what this was supposed to accomplish! I understood the “touch” command being used for directing your dog with your hand (that’s what we were doing to begin with- trying to get the dog to touch their nose to our hand) but the whole paw thing to get to treats didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me- and apparently it didn’t to Apollo either!
that is how I do touch.

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
For one of my Whippets "Touch" after calling his name and with the visible cue only (holding out my flat hand when he was far away from me) was the most effective recall for that dog. That is, if there was nothing to chase. He would just come running and leaping in the air to my hand. I don't need this for the GSDs of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts