German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!

Ive recently rescued this beautiful baby from a very high kill shelter in L.A!

Her name is Mia, shes is about 2 years old & just as sweet as can be!! She begins intense training this week to be a service dog for my husband who deploys in September! so, everyone welcome Mia :wub:

Attachments

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
What a nice looking rescue! So your husband is going to be a Military K9 handler with her? How was she evaluated for that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, she is going to be his service dog. She is going to ship out with him overseas. Nothing working military related. She's going there for his comfort and sane of mind!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got my Mia from a shelter. :blush:
She's very beautiful. Love the ear floofies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick Update on Mia: She's fitting in SO well. She's so awesome. Learning very quickly. She's doing wonders for my husband, he's feeling very confident with her progress!

P.S- yes my husband is in the service, active duty in the marine corps :)

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She's beautiful. So is she being used for PTSD? From a navy wife, thank you both for your service.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Hi from north county! What a beautiful girl, thank you for saving her. :) I also have a long coat, they are definitely a soft spot for me. Glad she's fitting in so well!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi from north county! What a beautiful girl, thank you for saving her. :) I also have a long coat, they are definitely a soft spot for me. Glad she's fitting in so well!
I dont see many GSD's with her coat, so thats awesome! Your fairly close to me, about 30 min away!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Beautiful girl.

Wait, the Marine Corps is allowing a PTSD service dog to deploy overseas for comfort? I have never heard of that for someone who has been cleared fit for duty to enter theater. I understand absolutely when stateside and home. Just curious.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is different . A commissioned working dog is there to work - a partner / tool , useful for the good of all. This situation ? a pet , who has not been tested for the highly stimulating , highly charged environment might break down , weigh on the mind with concerns for the dogs well being and impact on mobility . What if everyone brings a mascot / pet ?
Is the dog up to it ?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
this is different . A commissioned working dog is there to work - a partner / tool , useful for the good of all. This situation ? a pet , who has not been tested for the highly stimulating , highly charged environment might break down , weigh on the mind with concerns for the dogs well being and impact on mobility . What if everyone brings a mascot / pet ?
Is the dog up to it ?
Carmen, this is why I had to ask. I certainly don't want to take away from a welcome thread. I don't pretend to know everything about military operations but this sounds strange to me. No way would this fly in my husbands Army unit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts