German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some amish gave me their old retired dual registered german shepherd stud dog yesterday.

The owner had advertised him for free, but was gone when I came to see him. Only the lady was there and she knew practically nothing about the dog, didn't even know his name, but said she would tell the owner to mail all his papers and health records to me.

After brushing out all the shed hair, his coat and body shape looks more like west german import, but he is larger and with a heavier head. He has a wonderful temperment, is quite sociable and very dog friendly. He is rather thin, his muzzle is turning gray, some of his front leg joints are swollen and he seems pretty stiff with arthritis. I think his hips have started to go.

The lady told me he had never been allowed out of his kennel to run and play.

He was walking, trotting and running around the field this morning and it then occurred to me, he probably doesn't understand one word of English.

He's already perking up and barking at strangers.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Oh my goodness. A puppy-mill stud? Swollen joints? No name? Disappearing original owner? Never allowed out of his kennel-- and is now barking at strangers?

Do you have a vet appointment scheduled for this week, and finances ready for x-rays when he is well enough to have them?

And, additional funds set aside for this fella's ongoing supplementation or anti-inflammatories if he has arthritis? That will be extremely important. Just saying this to help you plan-- I've had seniors with joint issues before. I go out to eat less often, but the dogs can move without pain. Good trade-off!

Has he seen kids, cats, all sorts of people? Is he just being social now because he is so stunned at the overwhelming newness of his situation out of his kennel, do you think?

If he is trotting around the field, is he in a fenced-in area or on a longline?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Good luck on his papers and health records. Actually, why would you even need his papers? Sounds like he has earned his time to be a companion. Health records - doubt there will be any.

Amish puppy mills are ramapnt in the Ohio, Indiana area. It would surprise people to know the dogs are considered the same as amy breeding stock. They are used until past their prime then discarded.

The woman probably didn't know the dog's name because it was never used - same as a cow or sheep.

Skye was from a rescue. 3 littermates, the mother and another adult female gsd all taken in from an Amish puppy mill before they were starved. They were actually intended for the pound, but rescue was called by the folks there.

I love my dog dearly and she has great value as a therapy dog and my demo dog for obedience, but she has been expensive healthwise.

Monthly allergy shots, daily meds for her eyes (pannus) and weak immune system.

Will you be getting this dog neutered soon? Just curious - did you rescue him to give him a happy 'retirement' home? Be patient with him - Skye came to me not knowing about cars, houses, telephones, noises or basic every day life outside a barn.

Best wishes for your new boy.

ETA: Did you mean to put this in a different section? I didn't see anything yet about a known illness and hope the vet finds him to be healthy.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I moved this out of the "Preparing to say Good Bye".

Well the first thing I would do would be to get this dog to a Vet for a full work up, blood tests, some Xrays and teeth cleaning. Then we could see what shape this dog is in.

Why would you care about papers, this sounds like a Rescue dog to me, where or not he was breeding material in his prime really doesn't matter.

What matters know is that he gets some quality Vet care and gets to be a well cared for Dog for the rest of his life.

Val

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't think the OP really cares about the papers other than the fact that they may list his name LOL

I'm glad you got the dog for free, because chances are his vetting and upkeep are going to cost.

In any case, glad he has a nice place to be a DOG and not livestock.

Pictures if you can get some would be nice to see!

Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, he's barking whenever someone drives in. He wasn't barking at first, but then paid attention to the bitches in the nearby pen who bark when strange vehicles drive in.

And, OMG......that was a puppy mill? I did notice several pens of various types of little dogs. I suppose I didn't even know what it was, I am so naive. But for the record, the other dogs did look well cared for....healthy and active. Chalk it up to experience.

He didn't bark at me when I went to see him. He was friendly at first, then a little shy when I went right into his kennel to put the leash on him. He is still a very strong dog. He warmed up to me immediately. The lady was concerned that he might bite me, but I told her that if he was going to bite, he would already have done so. He did softly mouth me once or twice when I was brushing him and probably pulled some of his hair mats.

He has a bigger kennel here, he's been introduced to the other dogs through the fences, and is also slightly interested in the goats.

Yes, I have about an acre of fenced in exercise area. Plenty of room for my active GSDs.

No, I think he is just a friendly dog. I got another rescue last October, she was not social at all (hadn't been socialized as a pup) and after much attention, even spending a month in the house with people, she is just as shy as she ever was, but not mean or grouchy.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The dog sounds lucky to have landed with you. What caused you to be interested in him? You have other GSD's?
Do you use your dogs to herd the goats? I just recently saw a Border Collie herd goats and it was much different from the sheep herding I have seen.
Sheilah

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Has he been neutered or is he an addition to your 'breeding program"?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, I don't plan to neuter the old fella, that testosterone is probably one of the few things that is keeping him up and around.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to update everything......I haven't yet received any papers from the amish. I will wait til a week is up, then write to the previous owner.

Meanwhile, I have named him 'Keiser', which is a name I liked when I saw it back in Sonya's pedigree. That dog was a police K-9. I also found a similar name back in Rx's pedigree, Kaise. Keiser is also named after the German composer, Rhinehart Keiser. My Keiser is a good singer.

He has been enjoying daily exercise and is friendly with the other dogs, and since he and Butch have become buddies, I can keep them together as long as the two of them get along. Butch is just a big puppy who gets along with everyone.

I have been frequently brushing him, he has the absolute thickest mane I have found on a dog. He was carrying a lot of shed hair that hadn't yet dropped, so every stroke of the brush brings a big glob. He's pretty thin and his coat is dry and flaky, although I think I have noticed a slight improvement since he's been here.

I will say again that I do not intend to neuter Keiser. At his age, his testosterone is probably important, and I would not subject him to an unnecessary surgery.

No, I do not intend to breed him unless I would track his pedigrees and find something so absolutely wonderful that his lineage should be preserved, and only after hip/elbow xrays and the okay by the vet that he is in excellent health, and after assessing his conformation. Don't hold your breath while waiting for his pups.

Dual registration is simply the registration of a dog with two different registration clubs. Some dogs are registered at multiple associations, such as CKC/AKC/UKC....etc. It is a common thing with stud dogs, since they can reproduce with bitches of various registrations.

Hope this makes everyone feel better.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Why would you even consider breeding this poor boy no matter what his lineage?! I say he needs to be snipped and live out his life as a loved pet. Seems like he's been through a lot already, he needs someone to just love and care for him, not pimp him out. You said it yourself in the first post that you think his hips are starting to go...So WHY on Earth would you even mention possibly breeding him because of some silly little piece of paper?? He's from an Amish puppy mill, his lines have been "preserved" (Probably dozens of times if not more) no matter how good or bad.

I'm sorry but thats a little disgusting.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
This poor old dog has been USED all his life. Anything in his lines from the puppy mill that he was incarcerated in is basicly guaranteed to be extremely common genetics that have been bred to excess. Let's hope this poor old fellow gets his arthritis treated, joints x-rayed, and then a home that will appreciate him and treat him as a beloved PET instead of asking him to help churn out more puppies, especially from such very common bloodlines.

My heart breaks for this dog.
He is in pain, and someone is only seeing dollar signs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose my sense of humor is a bit too difficult to understand for most of the people on the board. I thought that since I added the ROFL icon, most of you would see the irony of it. Never mind.

In the future, I will try to make myself more easily understood. How is this....NO I DO NOT INTEND TO BREED THE DOG. PERIOD.
HE IS SKINNY, LAME AND JUST ENJOYING BEING ALIVE AND GETTING ATTENTION AND EXERCISE AND GOOD FOOD.
NO I AM NOT GOING TO NEUTER HIM. PERIOD. I WILL NOT SUBJECT HIM TO AN UNNECESSARY SURGERY AT HIS AGE.

Oh, yes.....the dog's papers arrived today. He is 10 years old and he needs a rabies vaccine.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Quite honestly, with all of your prevous posts of producing puppies from under aged parents not once but twice and to a male who is also under aged; having littermates that are blues so you can linebreed them to keep the color; breeding a rescue female "for her nose for tracking"; breeding the dog who
Quote:yeah, well Sonya is a natural high drive killer. Please dont ask me about the dead cats, chickens, ducks, goats and sheep.......
Umm no I do not understand your "humor" any more than your puppy producing ethics. Is your "yeah, well Sonya is a natural high drive killer. Please dont ask me about the dead cats, chickens, ducks, goats and sheep......." not the rescue female that has already had a litter and she is not yet 2?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
number one, if you had been following my posts you would see where I decided to sell the blues and not breed them....Not because of the color but because of the ears.

Number two. No Sonya is not Seide the rescue. Sonya is the german import with a long line of Schutzhund and K-9. Sonya is not a bad dog, just high drive and not very well trained. Which if you followed my posts, you would have seen where I admitted that training is not my strong point. Which if you had been following my posts where I told every one I am disabled, you might sort of kind of maybe understand just a little.

And, if you look at the place where you took that quote about Sonya, you will see it is a bragg about how she actually did learn to back off and not kill something.....which is a major accomplishment.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts