German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
I see you'll soon be offering probiotics on your site. I know you are a distributes but I'm hoping you have this information. Can you please provide data regarding the difference between enteric coated and stabilized probiotics, which dogs need and why? Do you have such data?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Welcome K9... i've actually been dealing with some digestion issues lately, but from your website, it looks like your product is specifically geared toward EPI (which Lucy doesn't have).

Is the EPI management formula your only product at the time?

Any plans for future products with probiotics and digestive enzymes? The probiotics I recently started her on seems to really be helping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Lucy,

Yes...at the moment we are only selling the EPI enzymes. However, we hope to have the probiotics and regular digestion assisting enzymes in stock within a few weeks. We are also considering an enzyme/probiotic mix.

The probiotics definitely make a difference...we have Roxy on them in addition to the EPI enzymes. However, we don't care for the price we are paying in relation to what we are getting as far as product quality. So that is why we want to look for something that is a good all-around performer with a reasonable cost.

We are currently looking to have a blend made for us. I will make a separate post about the additional products as soon as we have the info.

Bobby

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see you'll soon be offering probiotics on your site. I know you are a distributes but I'm hoping you have this information. Can you please provide data regarding the difference between enteric coated and stabilized probiotics, which dogs need and why? Do you have such data?
Hi Jax,

I can provide you with some of the info that I do have and hopefully that can give you a bit of an idea as far as what we will be carrying.

We are actually looking at having the probiotics blended for us. We are not just going to go and get "X" brand and sell it. So we are still a distributor in a sense, but we will be working directly with a custom manufacturer.

The enteric coating is designed to protect pils/tabs from the acid of the stomach. However, there are other schools of thought on this and some claim it to be a "double edge sword." While the enteric coating "protects" the probiotics from the stomach acid, it is believed that it can actually lead to a shorter shelf life. Also, if probiotics are consumed with food - as is usually recommended - then the probiotics receive some protection due to the acid having to work on breaking down the food content as well. As I understand it, the probiotics (mostly Acidophilus) in yogurt is not enteric coated yet it survives the stomach acid intact. There are also probiotics such as Lactobacillus sporogenes where the spore actually protect it from acid.

As far as stabilization goes, I believe this can mean that the enzymes do not need refrigeration. The probiotics we stock will not need refrigeration.

The probiotics we are considering will be in powder form. They will be guaranteed to lose no more than 1-2% of total cells per month if stored in a cool, dry place.

They will be in the 40-45 billion cfu/3g (approx. 1 teaspoon) range and will approximately be a 9 strain product with Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. plantarum, L. casei, L. bulgaricus, L. Lactis, L. Brevis, L. helveticus,
Bacillus coagulans, Bifidobacterium longum, B. bifidum. Price will be very competitive.

Hope this helps Jax and I will post more as soon as I have it.

Regards,

Bobby

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
Thanks Bobby! I've had a hard time getting a concrete answer on those questions so you were very helpful! What I've read is that due the acidic nature of the dogs stomach (more so than ours), the probiotics have to be coated to survive. That makes sense to me but with the shorter digestive tract, is there time to break down and absorb in the intestine?

Just a note, I like to see what each probiotic does (some are digestion, some work on skin, etc) . It would be really nice if that was added to your website when you have your formula all worked out. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your welcome Jax.

That is a good point on the shorter digestive tract. I also believe that there are times when some things are unnecessary and and I also think some things are used as a selling point. It can be difficult to wade through the fog at times. I do know the product we are currently using is definitely not enteric coated but I know for a fact it works. So I can't imagine every probiotic must be enteric coated to work.

I promise to get a lot of info up on our site when we have a definite product ready to go. I will also get specifics for each probiotic up there as well.

Regards:)

-Bobby

·
Registered
18 Posts
02/21/11 Update:

If you have visited our site recently, you may have noticed the countdown clock. We are working very hard to get our new products formulated and bring them to inventory. We will most likely relaunch with just one or two new products and then bring the others online over the following weeks. And yes, there will be a coupon code:)!

Thank you for your continued interest.

Bobby

·
Registered
18 Posts
We want to thank everyone for their patience while we restructure the K9 Enzymes product line and website.

While the restructuring has taken longer than anticipated, the new product is now in manufacturing and will be shipped to us very soon!

At this time, we will be opening with 4 initial products. We will be offering a basic digestive enzyme formula, a complex probiotic formula, a joint formula and a pancreatin enzyme product for dogs that are suffering from EPI. Of course, additional products are in the works!

We will be sending out e-mails to all those on our list a few days before opening...look for the coupon code!

Warmest Regards,

- K9 Enzymes
K9 Enzymes

·
Registered
18 Posts
FRIDAY APRIL 1st

FINALLY!
After much anticipation and delay, we are officially opening on Friday April 1st.

It has been a longer journey than originally anticipated but the final outcome has been worth the wait. Our new website provides more detailed product information and allows us plenty of flexibility for adding additional products in the near future. Also, the design incorporates pages for resource information and photo sharing that is freely available to any site visitor.

We want to thank everyone for their patience and support while we restructured the K9 Enzymes product line and website. It truly was appreciated and we hope you will stop by and check out what the wait was all about.

Warmest Regards,

-The Crew @ K9 Enzymes™

P.S. We welcome any comments on our new site. After you have had a chance to view it, please take a moment to send us one. We hope to hear from you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts