German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cava came to us all the way from Salida, Colorado. Some friends of the breeder helped transport her here by way of Los Alamos and Albuquerque NM, and we picked her up at the AWDF championship in Galt, CA on Friday, which is about an hour and a half away. Cava is 4-1/2 months old, and is a super happy, friendly puppy. She's been officially ours since 8 weeks old, but with Halo in the late stages of DM, the plan was to wait and bring her home after Halo was gone. But Halo is still here and Cava was getting older, so she's finally home. I have some photos from when she was younger, and then some of her here. Enjoy!

Last vet visit before her big trip:

Meeting Keefer and Halo:

Yesterday there was a small flyball practice, so I took Cava to meet some of her teammates. She's too young to do much yet, but she did some recalls to a tug. This is Halo's old flyball tug, which seems to be a hit with Cava as well:

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, she's going to be a lot of fun! Too bad we can't get her to settle in the house, though. :rofl:

Reactions: Aly and Bramble

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cava is basically 40 pounds of pure joy and exuberance. She is SO happy, and it's incredible how quickly she's adapted, especially since she went from 32 acres in the country to a house in the suburbs with a tiny yard, complete with geriatric/ill dogs.

On one hand I'm sad I missed out on the early puppy phase, but it is nice that she's sleeping through the night and is going outside to pee and poop. She knows where the house and garage water dishes are if she's thirsty, and she likes to stick her head in right next to Keefer and drink with him. I need to get a picture of that, it's so cute. :wub: She tried it once with Halo, who was not quite as tolerant, but she's learning boundaries, and that if they grumble at her she needs to back off. We have some work to do on house manners, she counter surfs and will launch herself on you if you're sitting down, but so far it's going really well.

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All right, congratulations Debbie. I guess sprawl isn't exactly the same as settle, but she'll get there. Lol.
It's a work in process. ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So awesome! She is gorgeous. I'm glad she got to meet the seniors. Bet they will enjoy her. I am so happy for you. Jealous, but happy.
It's hard to even think of Halo as a senior. Technically, at 9-1/2, she is, but without DM she would still be in her prime. :(

Cava is already completely reliable with Keef, and Halo is much more tolerant of her than we thought she'd be. I didn't think he'd be a problem, he really likes other dogs, but we thought Halo would be nasty towards her. We expected it would take a couple of weeks to be where we are on day 3. I ordered an x-pen, which was delivered yesterday afternoon, but I don't think we even need it. It's in the garage, still in the box, and I may just send it back.

We met Cava less than 48 hours ago, but she's already bonding to us and seems to enjoy being around the dogs too. She was pretty wild the first day home, but she'd spent 14 hours in a crate the day before, and 5 more by the time we got her home on Friday so that's to be expected. She's MUCH calmer today, other than random puppy zoomies.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
What a bright eyed and happy expression she has!Love the flying yellow pig picture!Congratulations on your new girl:)

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today we went for about an hour hike:

Which resulted in this:

She has totally crashed behind our office chairs. Does that count @Steve Strom? :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts