German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just saw the weirdest thing I have ever seen my 6 month old dog do (or any dog for that matter). We were eating dinner and he was dead asleep when he just popped up, started barking (he has barked maybe 4 times total in his life), jogging around the the downstairs. I got up from the dinner table to call him over, his ears where straight back and he kept looking around panic'd. When he final did come to me and sit, he started peeing on the floor (and he hasn't had an accident in the house in over a month).

Did he just have a bad dream that freaked him out (literally scared the piss out of him :eek:)? Has anyone else ever seen this with their dogs?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Start a journal. He may have had a mild seizure. I hope it was just a dream.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Start a journal. He may have had a mild seizure. I hope it was just a dream.

That was exactly my thought

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Max has done that once or twice, minus the peeing part.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Perhaps he heard something that woke him up/startled him, and he ran around looking for what it was or comfort, and you petting him sent him into a submissive state ie; the peeing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
when my GSD/husky mix first started having seizures he would that. He would be in a dead sleep, wake up and start barking and wouldnt respond to me calling him or trying to calm him down until a few seconds afterwards. he would usually pee afterwards and pant really hard.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Oh no poor guy! I hope it was just a bad dream!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My last gsd Omy started having seizures when she was 11- she would do the same thing. She didn't recognize me, was confused and looked up at the sky like something was coming out of it to scare her. Your pup probably just had a bad dream, but I agree- keeps notes if it happens again

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Did your pup get rabies vaccine recently(or others)?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Did your pup get rabies vaccine recently(or others)?
Exactly what I was going to say - the rabies vaccine is nasty, and research is linking it to more and more problems for dogs....
Hope he just had a nightmare, but I agree, keep an eye on him. A friend of mine had a dog whch developed seizures after she vaccinated him - when she stopped, so did the seizures.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No rabies yet, but he is scheduled to get it in a couple months. We'll keep an eye on him and note it. I never would have thought it would be medical, that is why I love this site!

Let's hope it was a dream or the house is haunted though.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My MIL had a cat that would have seizures in her sleep like that and pee. It was really dangerous to hold her while she was sleeping because she would attack out of nowhere in her sleep. Eventually the cat had to be put down.

Hope it's not a seizure that your dog is having!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, i don't know if it's having a seizure or not, it looks fine after it seems to wake up. My first female GSD would wimper or bark while she was laying on the floor and her legs would go crazy. She actually with her front paws dig in so hard it would rip and fray the carpet! All the while she was asleep and she would eventually stop but it was rather funny.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My great dane used to have dreams, make whimpering noises, shake his legs around a little....so dogs dream just as we do. My guess is that to a 6 mo old, a bad dream might be pretty scary and traumatic, just like nightmares are to small children.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Gunnar had REM sleep behavior disorder. Some episodes actually looked like seizures, but was "just" a sleep disorder. It's treatable with a seizure med, but I opted to keep his sleeping areas Gunnar-proofed rather than put his liver at risk with the drug. He was actually quite amusing sometimes, especially when he walked & talked in his sleep. I also had to laugh the time he kicked me out of bed with all four feet (dumb idea, sleeping with a dog with this disorder) & woke up when I thudded on the floor, then peered over the edge of the bed with a puzzled look on his face: "What you doin' down there, Mom?"

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh was so active in his dreams at that age that I was kind of worried about him. He still sleeps with his eyes open a lot of the time but he used to do everything but get up and run around- and I thought that's where he was headed, but he's calmed down quite a bit and just does the typical running, digging, eating, etc in his sleep. Maybe it's just a phase.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts