German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were asleep in bed, and about 530am, woke up to sage (who was sleeping on the floor) yelling and crying and screaming her 11 month old head off. So I jumped out of bed and onto the floor where she was laying and she was still thrashing around wailing her head off. It was a mixture of a scared cry and hurt cry. I pulled her onto my lap and tried to figure out what was wrong but she seemed very scared of me and tried to get away, after a few moments she calmed down and I took her outside to go potty. She seemed to be favoring her right front paw. She walked outside turned around to come back in and lifted up her paw and started crying really loudly again and layed downso I picked her up and carried her inside layed her on her side and inspected her paw but could not find anything wrong with it. Then after that she seemed fine for the rest of her day. But today she seems to be limping again and it's gotten worse throughout the day, and she is just laying around not doing much, she did play with another dog today at work so m might just be tired from that. But I need help.

Do you guys have any idea what could have happened? I've looked everywhere for a spider bite but can't find one. Any suggestions? Should I take her in?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Get a flashlight & really inspect her paw & her nails. Rusty had an infection where his nail meets his skin. We hike alot & think a stick may have jabbed him. The vet gave a antibiotic & recommended a Epsom salt soak for several days.

This could also be a foot sprain or another injury. The crying you are describing sounds alarming. I would take her to the vet.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Seizure? The screaming crying and thrashing around sound like a seizure....especially since she did not recognize you when you went to comfort her.
The paw being held as in pain and then limping could also be from a seizure, the muscle contractions and wild movements during a seizure can cause injuries.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get a flashlight & really inspect her paw & her nails. Rusty had an infection where his nail meets his skin. We hike alot & think a stick may have jabbed him. The vet gave a antibiotic & recommended a Epsom salt soak for several days.

This could also be a foot sprain or another injury. The crying you are describing sounds alarming. I would take her to the vet.
I will get a light and look again.
Yes it's the way she was screaming that is really got me worried now

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seizure? The screaming crying and thrashing around sound like a seizure....especially since she did not recognize you when you went to comfort her.
The paw being held as in pain and then limping could also be from a seizure, the muscle contractions and wild movements during a seizure can cause injuries.
Gosh I sure hope not. How can they find out if she had a seizure?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody else with any help? Can I do anything about her bad limp until tomorrow?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
My dog Chama came up lame on a paw once and I could not figure out what was going on. Nothing helped get her better and then she started picking at her paw and pulling at something and out came a 2 inch thorn!

So I would take her to the vet and see if she's got something stuck in there.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My dog Chama came up lame on a paw once and I could not figure out what was going on. Nothing helped get her better and then she started picking at her paw and pulling at something and out came a 2 inch thorn!

So I would take her to the vet and see if she's got something stuck in there.
Ouch!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts