German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is my first post on this forum. I never thought there was a forum dedicated to german shepards but now that I know im thankful. I have an 8 year old german shepard female and recently when play with her in my backyard I noticed that when walking she walked fine, the front legs moved left then right and the same for the rear legs, but when she ran fast the two back legs ran together sorta like hopping. Canine degenerative myelopathy was the first thing that came to mind, or the beginning to it, as she wasn't dragging her legs, there was still some motility. On reading about the disease I found out that this happens when they walk too, but when she walks it is fine. What could be the problem? Excess exercise? Whenever anyone is outside with her she will run chasing flies sort of to put on a show, she does this for hours if someone is outside for hours. Any help woudl be appreciated.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Have you ever had her hips xrayed? It could be a hip issue but it could also be the way she runs.

Have you ever flipped her back feet to see if she self corrects it? That is one of the first things to determine if it might possibly be a nerve issue.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'd get her hips x-rayed too. NOT from over-exercise though. Keeping our dogs lean and fit pretty much help any situation.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: Johnyburb"Have you ever flipped her back feet to see if she self corrects it?" What do you mean by this?
One of the first tests done on a dog with suspected nerve/neurological issues is to flip the foot so the top of the foot is on the floor and the pad is up or back (you can see the pad of the foot). If the dog corrects it immediately it is a good sign. If they take a few seconds or do not correct the foot so that the pad is down it is a "clue" that there is something else going on that really needs to be checked out by a vet. If it takes them a few seconds to correct it is by no means a clear definition that there is something MAJOR wrong it could be something like a strained or pinched nerve but it could also be an early sign of something major like a back injury (or one of many other issues) or a neurological issue such as DM (or one of many other issues).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts