German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my 8 month old girl Athena was originally being fed adult food by the breeder however she has always been thin and the vet recommended puppy food. I have had her eating Victor Hi Pro Plus for the last 3 months or so which she likes. I feed her 2 cups per day and sometimes supplement that with a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese as she is still pretty thin. She doesn't have any other issues as far as health is concerned but she has this strange habit of pooping outside and then when I bring her in she will poop again on the carpet. She does this about half of the time. It's difficult because I live in the Seattle area (lots of cold rainy nights) where sometimes at night I take her out and she will poop right away. I praise her, and then walk her around for a while. Sometimes she will poop again. Most times I eventually bring her in and then 30 minutes later she will poop on the floor. Her poop does seem pretty hard and comes out in small sort of pieces. I'm wondering if maybe I should try a different high quality food.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Its not the food, rather a habit that she has that needs to be broken. It is more behavioral than anything. Hopefully someone here can offer advise as to why shes doing it. Following.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
How long have you had this dog? Is this behavior new or did it start recently? Did you recently move?

At 8 months old my current puppy was eating 6-7 cups of food per day. How big is your dog?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We have had her since she was 3 mos old. The behavior seemed to coincide a little towards when we switched her to the Victor food. I'm just following what the Victor High Pro Plus bag says for her weight. She hasn't been weighed very recently but I believe she's in the 40lb range at this point. To feed 6-7 cups according to the feeding instructions she would need to be around 200lbs. I'm certainly not an expert, it just seemed unlikely that a dog would poop until half of it comes out then hold the rest in for 30 minutes and then poop out the other half. I was thinking she was a little constipated possibly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was thinking she was a little constipated possibly.

That could well be the case. If you dog isn't drinking enough water, that could contribute to constipation, especially if most meals are just dry food. You might try some different dog food (more fiber content?) or if you generally feed just dry food, perhaps add something wet to the dry food. Because a food works fine for some dogs, doesn't mean it will agree with yours (just like us humans).

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
From your description of her movements adding a little bit of 100% pumpkin may help her. Make sure the can says 100% Pumpkin. (no additives and not Pumpkin pie filling). About a tablespoon or so.

Since you brought up that she is on the thin side, I checked the feeding instruction of Victor Hi Pro Plus and it seems that the feeding chart is meant for a guide for pups when they reach a year or so of age. The instructions for Pups from at about a few months old "can be transitioned to a self feeder".

I believe a self feeder is a bowl that allows a pup to eat at will throughout the day. I wouldn't do that but what the instructions seem to be saying is increase the amount as needed to meet a pups growing spurts/needs and then at 1yr of age use the chart along with how she looks to determine the amount she needs.

I think you may see some positive results with weight and possible bowl movements if you increase her food Increase slowly 1/4 cup increments. 3 cups for an active 8 month old would not be over feeding imo.

That's what I would do based on what you have said.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
As @Heartandsoul said, the problem with puppies is that they go through growth spurts that the chart on the bag can't really accommodate. I suggest feeding the puppy based on it's appearance, and noting that activity can certainly increase their requirements. As a much younger puppy, my dog ate around 2-3 cups. By 4-5 months she was eating 3-4, and like I said by 6-8 months she was eating 6-7 cups. Obviously that's not going to fit all puppies, but for my dog it barely kept her hip bones from protruding!

I would definitely try to get her food intake sort of normalized, by finding and sticking qith a food that works for her, and feeding an appropriate amount for your specific puppy, first. But at her age I would definitely try to keep a close eye on her and interrupt her BEFORE she poops in the house, and rush her outside. If she's pooping on your carpet and you're not catching her in or before the act, you're giving her too much freedom. It's really just a matter of discouraging and ushering her outside consistently. She's not doing it to be bad, she either doesn't understand, or her system is acting up at this point...and either way, preemptively catch her getting ready to go and usher her outside and it will solve the problem...

·
Registered
166 Posts
2 cups seems kinda low, my pup at 12 weeks eats about 3 cups a day, that might be where the thin issue is coming in. On the hard poop, i feed my dogs on the side steamed or raw greens & carrots, moisten the food and pop a little greek no sweetened yogurt on the side. We have much success with good stools. They have chew toys, crunchy snacks and raw bones for their chew time & gums/teeth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My bulldog does this sometimes. Usually when it's wet and or cold here.
What happens is she poops a bit outside, gets cold, comes in, gets the after poop zoomies, and the excitement and activity cause her to finish pooping inside. I pop a sweater on her and make her stay outside until she is for sure done, but even then, she sometimes gets past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts