German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I noticed my 6.5 month old pup pee'ing alot at our first obedience class. I chalked it up to the excitement. Then the next night she was peeing in the house several times - in great big long LINES like she is walking and peeing. Now, she is 90% housetrained! This is very odd. Then that night she pee'd in her crate overnight. So I took her to the vet, and they did a urine test and said she had a lot of bacteria in it so we started 250mg Clavamox, twice a day. We started last thursday evening.

I am also supplementing with Cranberry and a probiotic in between antibiotic doses.

So things have been OK - none of the weird peeing anymore until last night, when we got home from class, she peed outside, we came in, and in the course of an hour she peed big long streams in the house FOUR TIMES. Of course it was right when I turned my back...

I am perplexed. Does it take this long for an antibiotic to work? Although I guess it has only been 3 full days at this point. Does the behavior have something to do with her excitement about classes? :ponder:

At one point she went over and sat down on throw rug... and then got up and looked and she had peed a little tiny bit. Like it was a surprise to her! I guess maybe the anti-b's arent working yet or it takes longer....

Any thoughts from the other dog-obsessed folks on here? Sorry she's a Non-GSD, but I love this forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I had to have Kiya retested after treatment to make sure the infection was gone. Fortunately it was, I don't remember if it was 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am supposed to have her re-tested about 10 days in to make sure it is gone, pills go for 14 days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of our dogs (shepherd/chow mix) is a UTI magnet. Antibiotics stop the extra peeing within 24 hours.

I'd guess the bacteria your dog has is not sensitive to what she is getting. Wouldn't hurt to call you vet and let them know what's up. No point in taking abx that are not working.

Also, are you sure she is swallowing her pills? We had a dog once that was a master at avoiding pills. She would somehow hide them in her lips and spit them out later. Had to crush pills and mix them w/ food to get it down her.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Last week I noticed my 6.5 month old pup pee'ing alot at our first obedience class. I chalked it up to the excitement. Then the next night she was peeing in the house several times - in great big long LINES like she is walking and peeing. Now, she is 90% housetrained! This is very odd. Then that night she pee'd in her crate overnight. So I took her to the vet, and they did a urine test and said she had a lot of bacteria in it so we started 250mg Clavamox, twice a day. We started last thursday evening.

I am also supplementing with Cranberry and a probiotic in between antibiotic doses.

So things have been OK - none of the weird peeing anymore until last night, when we got home from class, she peed outside, we came in, and in the course of an hour she peed big long streams in the house FOUR TIMES. Of course it was right when I turned my back...

I am perplexed. Does it take this long for an antibiotic to work? Although I guess it has only been 3 full days at this point. Does the behavior have something to do with her excitement about classes? :ponder:

At one point she went over and sat down on throw rug... and then got up and looked and she had peed a little tiny bit. Like it was a surprise to her! I guess maybe the anti-b's arent working yet or it takes longer....

Any thoughts from the other dog-obsessed folks on here? Sorry she's a Non-GSD, but I love this forum!
Ivan did this when he had a UTI. Exactly like what you are describing. It took two rounds of two different antibiotics to clear it up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm OK thanks. I am going to call the vet and see what's up. Also, I noticed on the clavamox packets, they say "5/13".. which makes me wonder if that is the expiration date!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last 2 nights none of the weird pee'ing in the house... I am going to chalk it up to the class that night. I will have her urine tested again on the 28th to make sure the infection is gone, that will be 11 days of full antibiotics and we go 14.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Another accident-free night!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We did another urine test, and still some bacteria after 14 days of Clavamox, so we are doing another week, then wait a week and do another test.

She has been just fine though, almost zero accidents..so hopefully this is the tail end of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts