German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lara has taken up a new habit. There is a gap between the fridge and the counter that she sometimes fixates on. Her tail swishes and she sticks her butt in the air and growls playfully at the crack. Then, she runs to the other end of the apartment with her nose down, turns around, and runs back and forth over and over, periodically stopping by the fridge to attempt to initiate play.

I thought at first a ball rolled into the crack, nope. Food? Nope, its literally NOTHING. There is nothing there. Sometimes she gets so worked up doing her pacing route that she pants and RUNS while she is pacing. You call her name, she doesn't even look, her head is down and she is focusing really hard on pacing. I try to grab her collar and she will stop for a second, but as soon as you let go she goes right back to it.

Usually when this happens I try to distract her by playing with her or doing some obedience, but even when she's tired, she will sometimes try to do this. She gets a ton of exercise during the day and a lot of play. she is 5 months old.

I have a video but I can't upload it right now, I'll put one up later tonight. Any idea why she does this? Is it just OCD? I'm trying really hard to keep her busy and currently I have her tethered to me (I have never done that) to prevent her from pacing if she feels like she wants to again.

Opinions? :/

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
A possible little mouse friend that she plays with? I would be pulling that fridge out and make sure something didn't roll behind it or something.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No laser pointer, I thought it may have been shadows, so I tried turning the light in the kitchen off so there wouldn't be any shadows, just darkness but she still did it.

I should really pull the fridge entirely out, it it was something behind the fridge that would explain her wagging and growling playfully at it, but would that contribute to the pacing around the rest of the house you think?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
She might be chasing her shadow or reflection, from the shiny floor. Just a guess. Beautiful girl by the way.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Rabies vaccine?
When?
With other vax. at same time?
Did you just start HW/flea prevention?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The video is a little short. It's hard to say, but to me she just looks like a curious puppy looking for something to occupy herself.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I agree with Laura....puppy that needs an outlet for her energy!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
After seeing the video I'm thinking more like Laura and Jane: bored puppy needing more physical and mental activity.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh gosh okay. The video wasn't really when she was in one of her serious pacing moods, but I will try changing the type of exercise we do. Usually we walk for a few HOURS outside and she plays with the dog next door, and we run around the apartment and she chases balls. I guess I need her to do her doggy equivalent of working up a sweat lol, get that butt running instead of her trotting on our walks ( I dont plan to jog her, she's not old enough yet) but I guess a walk isn't tiring enough.

I increased her food today because my other theory was that she was hungry and she hasn't done the pacing today. I used to play scent games by hiding piles of food and telling her to go find it, and this started some time after we played that, maybe she's just doing some serious foraging because she wants a snack.

Thanks for all the replies :)

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Get some mental exercise going....GSD's are thinkers and need mental stimulation. You'd be surprised at how much an obedience session can wear out a puppy!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay after 40 minutes of play/training new and old stuff she did this for a min, then after her dinner for one or two laps. I am convinced it's just her checking to make sure there isn't any food on the ground like how when we played find it. I've isolated it to only when she's eaten recently lol

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Okay after 40 minutes of play/training new and old stuff she did this for a min, then after her dinner for one or two laps. I am convinced it's just her checking to make sure there isn't any food on the ground like how when we played find it. I've isolated it to only when she's eaten recently lol
Hmm yeah, Ollie only eats in his crate so when he thinks it's food time or wants something he goes in there... I've played the find it game with his kibble around the house occasionally too, could this possibly be bad to do?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
She does look like she's searching for or looking at something. I'm guessing she's looking for food as you mentioned. See what happens when you really clean the floor, get all the smells out.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm yeah, Ollie only eats in his crate so when he thinks it's food time or wants something he goes in there... I've played the find it game with his kibble around the house occasionally too, could this possibly be bad to do?
I was really careful to structure the game by telling her "okay let me hide it" and then locked her in the xpen, then I'd say "okay go find it" and let her out...I didn't just make it like "hey surprises are sometimes hiding" lol.
But she has always been a forager outside, she sometimes brings rocks in the house. I just think I won't play that game with her anymore.

I'm sure its not bad to do, lots of people play it :) I just think mine doesn't realize its part of the game

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She does look like she's searching for or looking at something. I'm guessing she's looking for food as you mentioned. See what happens when you really clean the floor, get all the smells out.
Yes, I'm going to do this. Her nose down and stuff is exactly how she looked when we played the game, and since part of find it was locking her in her xpen, she might be looping back over there on that half of the apartment and trying again in the kitchen because that's how we'd play. Lock her in there, hide somewhere on the other half of the apartment, yay you found it, repeat. Okay, no more of that game

1 - 17 of 17 Posts