German Shepherds Forum banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
It's hard to look into the eyes of a sweater and become emotionally involved, so there's less need for the compassion and consideration part of customer service. Very difficult sometimes to be in a business that deals in living beings.

Been a very interesting thread with good info and different perspectives.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
The puppy and quality of life is what should be the important factor. Is the MegaE a severe or mild case? Is it something that may get better as puppy grows? I personally can't understand the PTS requirement, if someone would be willing to care for this pup. MegaE is NOT a death sentence!!
Because this breeder is well known and of a good reputation, they must know they are being discussed on a public forum. I hope they take that into consideration when the puppy's fate is decided.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think this is just an awful situation for all involved, especially the puppy. He is adorable and there is no way professionally or not I could suggest putting this dog to sleep. He is thriving from what I can see and I could never live with the what ifs. I want to know if the breeder is pulling the parents from the breeding program? I would fight tooth and nail for this little guy and pray that he remains healthy. Does any pet insurances cover this? I would look into that option. I also think that the OP has done a fantastic job of not bashing the breeder, I wouldn't be that nice.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
A puppy is not a sweater. A puppy is a living, breathing being. S/he should not be pts because of the slight chance of a medical problem arising. This puppy is in NO pain and mild Mega-E is NOT a painful condition. My PRAA foster puppy with Mega-E was turned into the vet to be pts. He was from a working line breeder. The vet took legal responsibility, did the surgery gratis and turned him over to rescue. I took care of him until he was adopted. He walked, played and trained with my dogs every day. He had NO medical problems from his Mega-E and was an amazing dog who lived a long, happy and healthy life.

I have not looked back to see who the breeder is and I do not care. However, I do know that there are several reputable breeders on this forum who either keep or responsibly place pups with potential or confirmed longterm health conditions so this is clearly not standard or ethical practice.

There are a zillion threads on here about how responsible breeders don't breed to make money, they breed to better the breed. Obviously sometimes that doesn't work out but it is irresponsible and really poor business practice (even if it is just a business and dogs are like sweaters to you) to condemn a healthy puppy to death without first truly educating yourself about a potential health condition.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
So, I was on here, re reading this terrible old thread and realized it's been a whole year to the day that Titan was diagnosed with megaE.
I read over my fears, and thoughts of what was going to happen to him, how we would care for him, and what his life would be like.
I hate that this thread turned into something bad, so bad I rarely post anymore.
But I figured I'd give a little up date.
As far as his megaE goes, he's doing fantastic. As long as he eats in his chair, his food is blended, and doesn't get fed too close together, he is regurge free. In the last year, he's pry regured 3 times and 2 of those were because we fed him too close together.
He does try and pick up everything off the floor and eat it, so that's the biggest challenge.
He's a great dog and I'm learning how to handle such a high drive pup.
But he didn't get any sicker, and he isn't in any pain.
He's always happy, and he's the best cuddler I could have asked for.
Our bond is like no other.
I'm hoping to try for our BH in FEB 2015, so we shall see.
But Im glad we decided to keep him. He's just a normal dog, who happens to eat in a chair. And slobbers like a mastiff.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Wow, so glad you and Titan will have a long and happy life. I started to read your thread, then got sad and then skipped to the last page.. But now I will go back, read about your journey. Lots of hugs to you and Titan for hanging in there!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
So, I was on here, re reading this terrible old thread and realized it's been a whole year to the day that Titan was diagnosed with megaE.
I read over my fears, and thoughts of what was going to happen to him, how we would care for him, and what his life would be like.
I hate that this thread turned into something bad, so bad I rarely post anymore.
But I figured I'd give a little up date.
As far as his megaE goes, he's doing fantastic. As long as he eats in his chair, his food is blended, and doesn't get fed too close together, he is regurge free. In the last year, he's pry regured 3 times and 2 of those were because we fed him too close together.
He does try and pick up everything off the floor and eat it, so that's the biggest challenge.
He's a great dog and I'm learning how to handle such a high drive pup.
But he didn't get any sicker, and he isn't in any pain.
He's always happy, and he's the best cuddler I could have asked for.
Our bond is like no other.
I'm hoping to try for our BH in FEB 2015, so we shall see.
But Im glad we decided to keep him. He's just a normal dog, who happens to eat in a chair. And slobbers like a mastiff.
This is a wonderful update. So happy for you and Titan and wish you all the best in your training!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm so happy to hear everything is working out well for you and Titan!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I don't actually come on the forum much anymore but while I was here I wanted to reread this thread, I do every year or so. It actually makes me very anxious reading it, with all the comments and such.
My main concern has always been his quality of life.
Titan is 3 now. He's still the happiest dog I have ever met. He's always wagging his tail, playing, and will even cuddle with me which he's very good at.
Through everything, I'm glad that I made this decision. It was the right decision. He's not suffering, he's full of life.
Even though he pushes my buttons some times, I have never regretting giving him a chance.
He's a great guy :) and my one and only boy

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't actually come on the forum much anymore but while I was here I wanted to reread this thread, I do every year or so. It actually makes me very anxious reading it, with all the comments and such.
My main concern has always been his quality of life.
Titan is 3 now. He's still the happiest dog I have ever met. He's always wagging his tail, playing, and will even cuddle with me which he's very good at.
Through everything, I'm glad that I made this decision. It was the right decision. He's not suffering, he's full of life.
Even though he pushes my buttons some times, I have never regretting giving him a chance.
He's a great guy :) and my one and only boy
Thank you for posting an update to this thread! Very nice to hear your pup is doing so well :) :)
Hope your dog is still doing well!!

181 - 191 of 191 Posts