German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a behavior that Wolf has that is kind of weird and I have no idea what it means or what he's trying to do/say. Sometimes he will hop up on me or my husband. His tail will be wagging, his ears go back, and he kills us with kisses. We pet him and kiss him back. He suddenly stops kissing and wagging his tail, his ears stay back, and he'll kind of give a low growl. He uses his big nose to flip our hands on his head. If we have our hands on our lap he uses his nose to get under our hand. But he's still doing a low growl. He doesn't seem aggressive and I can put my hand IN his mouth while he's doing it and he'll just spit it out and lick it. Is this a game to him?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
That is pretty close to how my dog indicates that she has to go to the bathroom. She almost crawls in my lap and kinda talks to me.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd say he is working you out. Some day check with him does he like to be licked with out him initiating the game. You just move your face towards the dog with you tongue out. I'd say he will turn his head away from you. For some reason dogs like to lick people they know but do not like you licking them.

I don't really understand this behavior. I see dominant dogs doing it to submissive dogs as a greeting ritual. The submissive dog will always turn it's head to avoid the challenge. Your dog may be looking for you to give a submissive behavior and then he growls to let you know you haven't done it.

I don't let my dogs lick me for these reasons. You don't really know why they are doing it. A human perspective is to say he loves you and that's why he's licking you but I don't like it. But when it gets excessive your losing control of the situation. Sometimes i will let the dog do it for a short time just to say 'hey I dominate you but I don't mind rolling on the floor with you and been licked but when i say stop you stop'.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Golden will push up under my hand for affection and mouths my hand frequently, but my GSD hasn't shown any any behavior like that. We discourage jumping up, though, so she doesn't get much opportunity to lick our faces.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say he is working you out. Some day check with him does he like to be licked with out him initiating the game. You just move your face towards the dog with you tongue out. I'd say he will turn his head away from you. For some reason dogs like to lick people they know but do not like you licking them.
i tried this and ended up licking my dog HAHAHA he liked it and licked me more:crazy:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe it is him just trying to get attention...i'll have to experiment and see what happens

·
Registered
12,379 Posts

'.
I would NEVER recommend doing this (above) to a dog who has just growled at you and you don't know why. NEVER...NEVER...NEVER.

To the OP: From what you've described and taking it at face value, your pup is asking for additional attention. The 'growl' is in fact your dog attempting to vocalize his request. It isn't actually a growl, but more like a moan. My boy will do the same thing. It sounds more like "arroogghh" and he isn't pulling his gums back and showing teeth.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
i tried this and ended up licking my dog HAHAHA he liked it and licked me more:crazy:
If you want to stop it try lifting you chin, giving a yawn sound and then turning your head to the side. This is like saying 'I'm bigger than you, I don't want to play, now go away from me'.

When a dog jumps onto my lap or is taking my space i will sit up towards him to say this is my space. Never squirm or try to push off as this will get him more excited. Then lift the chin, yawn and turn head to side.

You may note the dog will think about it and the turn and sit near you not on you or infringing your space any more.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There is a behavior that Wolf has that is kind of weird and I have no idea what it means or what he's trying to do/say. Sometimes he will hop up on me or my husband. His tail will be wagging, his ears go back, and he kills us with kisses. We pet him and kiss him back. He suddenly stops kissing and wagging his tail, his ears stay back, and he'll kind of give a low growl. He uses his big nose to flip our hands on his head. If we have our hands on our lap he uses his nose to get under our hand. But he's still doing a low growl. He doesn't seem aggressive and I can put my hand IN his mouth while he's doing it and he'll just spit it out and lick it. Is this a game to him?
Yep, game. My golden does that... to everybody! She is an attention starved maniac. I hate the hand nudging, but I have never been able to get her to stop. I had a Shep-mix that did that also. She does this "game" with my girls too, they will be petting her and they will stop and she'll growl, so they start up again... stop... she growls. It's funny as heck.

·
Banned
377 Posts
I agree. He wants to play. My dog does something like that when she wants us to chase her around (inside) the house. We growl back and 'bark' and she runs away, then comes back for more. She loves it.
She usually starts it with the ears back and the side-long look and her legs slightly bent ready to run. Her favorite game.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
He's just demanding attention. The "growl" he's making is not really a growl, it's just a vocalization to add emphasis to his demands.

If you don't like him doing this, nip it in the bud NOW, because you don't want a big adult GSD getting on your lap and demanding your attention whenever he wants it. It's okay if you invite it, but say you're trying to read, eat dinner, watch a movie, talk to guests, work on your taxes, etc. and you've got this big dopey dog pawing and "growling" at you. It may not be appropriate behavior all the time.

If you want to discourage the behavior, you can do so by not engaging with him when he does this, or a verbal reprimand if he's really obnoxious about it. Be prepared for the possibility that the behavior may escalate at first--especially if you've encouraged it in the past--because he's used to getting what he wants when he demands it, and if it suddenly stops working, he may think he's not trying hard enough.

If you don't mind the behavior, just make sure it's in the context of play and that he will stop it when you want him to.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
He's just demanding attention. The "growl" he's making is not really a growl, it's just a vocalization to add emphasis to his demands.

If you don't like him doing this, nip it in the bud NOW, because you don't want a big adult GSD getting on your lap and demanding your attention whenever he wants it. It's okay if you invite it, but say you're trying to read, eat dinner, watch a movie, talk to guests, work on your taxes, etc. and you've got this big dopey dog pawing and "growling" at you. It may not be appropriate behavior all the time.

If you want to discourage the behavior, you can do so by not engaging with him when he does this, or a verbal reprimand if he's really obnoxious about it. Be prepared for the possibility that the behavior may escalate at first--especially if you've encouraged it in the past--because he's used to getting what he wants when he demands it, and if it suddenly stops working, he may think he's not trying hard enough.

If you don't mind the behavior, just make sure it's in the context of play and that he will stop it when you want him to.
^^^^
This is the truth.
Kira use to do this when she wanted me. It stopped when I was enjoying a cup of coffee in my easy chair, and SHE decided to let me know she wanted to play. No one was injured, but it was annoying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My friend has a jack russell that will sit next to you on the couch and look at you, and if you look back at her she will lunge at your face and lick you on the face, right on the lips and wont stop, you have to pull her off you, and if you look back at her she will keep trying!

Now, she is a very smart dog, I swear she looks like she is studying us sometimes, maybe she sees us humans kissing and thinks that's what she has to do. maybe for attention, maybe she thinks she will get treats, who knows.

just a thought...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok :) as long as it's just a game/cry for attention. He's pretty good, if I saw "off" he'll hop off and sit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts