German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of construction at my house, I've been staying with my parents on the weekend. I bring my almost-2-year old Atticus with me. While at my parents he is crated, although I try to take him out as often as I can (generally around every 2 hours--sometimes sooner if possible) & he's never had a problem in the crate. However, the past couple of weeks he will not go in the crate unless he's very tired. Not really sure what's going on, but he will lay down on the ground not move when I try to get him in his crate now. Additionally, I tried to take him to the dog wash yesterday and he would not go inside even though he's never done that before either. He cowered on the ground and even tried to get under the car. I'm not sure what's going on, but the only thing I can think of is that something happened when he was recently boarded at his vet (although they did not say anything happened). Any ideas why this could be happening now?

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
I don't know what could be going on. Have you tried tossing in some favorite treats when you want to go in there?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If he has been having to spend a LOT more time in the crate when at your parents', maybe he just doesn't want to go in yet? I know my dog hated being crated if I was home (I work all day so I can understand) ..didn't mind if I left the house and he couldn't hear me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Did he start doing this right after the vet or since being at your parents house? He obviously doesn't like being in there for some reason either from the change (out of his element maybe), or like as you said, maybe the vet visit? I wouldn't force him in there- that will just put a halt on any progress. Are you able to remove the top (a plastic crate) or is it wire? Do you leave the door open so he is able to go in there willingly? If you can remove part of it, I would try getting him in that way and give him lots of praise, treats, and then let him out and play. You have to figure out how to make it fun. If you CAN get him in, walk away for a few minutes, then bring him out to play. Re introduce the crate- let him go in himself and make it tons of fun!

Can you play a game of fetch with him and 'accidentally' toss his toy in there? If he goes in, don't just shut the door, but let him play in and out of it and get comfortable with it again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did he start doing this right after the vet or since being at your parents house? He obviously doesn't like being in there for some reason either from the change (out of his element maybe), or like as you said, maybe the vet visit? I wouldn't force him in there- that will just put a halt on any progress. Are you able to remove the top (a plastic crate) or is it wire? Do you leave the door open so he is able to go in there willingly? If you can remove part of it, I would try getting him in that way and give him lots of praise, treats, and then let him out and play. You have to figure out how to make it fun. If you CAN get him in, walk away for a few minutes, then bring him out to play. Re introduce the crate- let him go in himself and make it tons of fun!

Can you play a game of fetch with him and 'accidentally' toss his toy in there? If he goes in, don't just shut the door, but let him play in and out of it and get comfortable with it again.
He has only been doing this recently (as of the past few weeks), which is after he was boarded at the vet b/c I broke my ankle (ironically, I boarded him so he would have some socialzaition and wouldn't be in his crate the entire time I couldn't walk). It may just be he's tired of it and is getting too big for it. The crate is wire, so he can see anyone nearby and it is open for him to go in and out of as he wants when we're around. I will try to reintroduce him with treats and lots of praise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts