German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right area for this post...

When I adopted my German Shepherd puppy the breeder had explained to me (even though the ad said akc) that the litter would not be registered akc. She included copies of the pedigree of the parents, so I have all of that. When I asked her why, she tried to explain to me that the AKC had requested that she send in a DNA test for this litter, due to over breeding the dam and she decided against doing that, for whatever reason.

My question is, is it possible for me to still register my female with the AKC?
Is it possible that id I send in a DNA test, or just give them the parents registration numbers, that they will approve us?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Kelsey.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The DNA is only $40 (full price), and available discounted at $35 and $30. Why your breeder didn't want to do that is very fishy. Without the breeder's cooperation, you will not be able to get a registration for your dog other than the PAL/ILP registration for participating in the Companion and Performance events (obedience, agility, tracking, etc). So, if you want papers for breeding, no, you can't get those yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to contact her now, and ask, what could be done.

What does the DNA test entail? I could offer to pay for it, perhaps.
We havnt been in contact but I do have her home number and address (on the AKC certificates)

Or is it simply too late?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I plan to do herding and possibly SAR training with her, do those also result in some type of registration?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes, you can. There is a late fee for registering a litter, though. It's an additional $65 over the $25 litter registration fee if it's been more than 6 months.

You buy the DNA kit from the online store. It's $35 if you prepay, $40 if you pay when you send it it. It comes with a little brush-like stick that you rub inside the dog's cheek. Then you seal it up in the envelope supplied and mail it in.

American Kennel Club Online Store - Shop for dog related products for your breed or breeds.

Litter application
http://classic.akc.org/pdfs/literap.pdf

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
It's not too late, though depending on how long it has been the registration fees may be higher. I would contact her and ask. If both parents are AKC registered it is just a simple matter of filling out some paperwork and paying the registration fees for her to get the litter registered.

AKC requires DNA profiles on males that sire several litters or who are used for AI breedings, and also on imported breeding stock. It can also be used to verify parentage if it is questioned.

It is a simple cheek swap that is then sent to AKC.

Using AKC requiring DNA as an excuse for not registering the litter seems fishy to me as well. Especially if AKC is asking her to DNA the litter itself, rather than the parents. Perhaps they have reason to suspect that the parents aren't actually the parents?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not sure of the exacts, but it was something along the lines of that they required a DNA test to register this specific litter (and was a repeat litter). Would I send in cheek swabs of the mother, and father, and their daughter (my dog) or just the sire/dam?

I am more then willing to pay. We are also getting her hips/elbows checked (prelims) in the near future. I wish I had an email for her so I didnt have to call directly, maybe I could ask to stop by for a visit to meet with her. Id hate to come off rude and have her completely ignore my request.

Thanks everyone so much, I really appreciate the info. :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
You certainly have a valid reason for wanting to register your girl if you would like to compete in AKC venues. I would suggest a phone call and ask when a good time to meet would be. The info you got from Flyaway & Chris Wild is good info which will help you better explain yourself to the breeder. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
If you can work through the breeder you may have success.

While AKC does allow certain registrations without the breeder's input, I would not think doing it alone on a dog you knowingly purchased without papers would be ethical.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you want to pursue this, I think you need the breeder involved. However, maybe a call to the AKC will clear up exactly what the problem is, if there is one. You said you have both the parents AKC numbers, right? They start with DN.

AKC Operations Center
8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27617-3390
Telephone: 919.233.9767
Office Hours: 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET
Customer Service Hours:
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET
weekdays (Monday - Friday) except holidays

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A breeder friend of mine told me to do the exact thing. Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning (Off of work) and see what they say. It'd be nice to know exactly what the issue is, who needs to be tested if at all, before calling this breeder who I havnt been in contact with and offering to pay for things.

Trying to do all the math in my head, between OFA prelims, DNA test and AKC registering, if possible. Time to find a second job. :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I wonder if she doesn't want to do the DNA testing because either the sire or dam on YOUR papers is not the actual sire or dam of your puppy.. Maybe that is why she won't do the testing. If AKC requires it of her dam, then the dam has whelped over a certain number of litters and AKC requires DNA then. If she is refusing, then she will never be able to register any more litters to this dam.
Seems rather strange to me that she is not willing to do a simple cheek swab and send it in. Raises red flags to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts